Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How-To] Root the Atrix 2 [ALL VERSIONS]

This is a discussion on [How-To] Root the Atrix 2 [ALL VERSIONS] within the Atrix 2 Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; Originally Posted by mtnRun Nice work man…great to know I can just do the OTA update now without worrying about flashing back to 2.3.5! Will ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 128
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: [How-To] Root the Atrix 2 [ALL VERSIONS]

  1. #11
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7366
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    807
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnRun View Post
    Nice work man…great to know I can just do the OTA update now without worrying about flashing back to 2.3.5!

    Will unrooting this (if necessary) be pretty straight forward and just keep 2.3.6 in place or do you always have to re-flash to stock when unrooting?
    Unrooting is very straightforward. All you do in an unroot is delete the necessary files and uninstall Superuser.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Member #
    10499
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    21
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cogeary View Post
    Unrooting is very straightforward. All you do in an unroot is delete the necessary files and uninstall Superuser.
    Great to know...thanks! I see you caused quite the stir over on XDA today! Good on ya for staying low key and humble...good qualities to have

  3. #13
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7366
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    807
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnRun View Post
    Great to know...thanks! I see you caused quite the stir over on XDA today! Good on ya for staying low key and humble...good qualities to have
    No problem! Included in the 1-click zips is also a Click-To-Unroot file that I've used multiple times before. Theoretically it should work on most (if not all) rooted Android devices.

    XDA sure is something... The A2 section actually started out pretty nice (one of the main devs even said "let's make sure this doesn't turn out like the Atrix 4G section" ) but it's getting progressively more hostile.

    Thanks for the compliment

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Member #
    10603
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times
    I couldn't get this to install at first using your app and couldn't figure out why. After much Googling and pounding things with blunt objects I found the original app by Dan Rosenberg on XDA forum. It listed steps to include getting Motorola USB drivers for computer. Once I installed my device was recognized and using Dan's app my Atrix 2.3.6 stock is now rooted! I will keep your app in case I need to unroot. Chainfire 3D here I come! Thanks everyone who posted or contributed!

  5. #15
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7366
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    807
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fn_noobee View Post
    I couldn't get this to install at first using your app and couldn't figure out why. After much Googling and pounding things with blunt objects I found the original app by Dan Rosenberg on XDA forum. It listed steps to include getting Motorola USB drivers for computer. Once I installed my device was recognized and using Dan's app my Atrix 2.3.6 stock is now rooted! I will keep your app in case I need to unroot. Chainfire 3D here I come! Thanks everyone who posted or contributed!
    Oh OK, sorry. I gave reference to drivers and USB Debugging mode in the batch files themselves but not the thread . Glad you got it worked out.

    But be wary when you use my unroot script. The app that Dan wrote also installs busybox, which is like a supplement package with various useful root commands/tools. Busybox is hard to uninstall (not really hard but takes a lot of time manually deleting files) which is why my root scripts don't install it. Some good apps from the Android market have the feature to install, update, and uninstall Busybox.

    The unroot script should still work for you, however if you unroot because you want to turn your A2 in to AT&T/Motorola then you should probabably flash the FXZ.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Member #
    10617
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    2 times
    The 1 click failed on my phone because it was rooted in 2.3.5 and the OTA update to 2.3.6 broke root but left su in /system/bin. When the script tries to create the symbolic link from /system/xbin/su to /system/bin/su it return "failed, file exists" To correct this issues I slightly modified the batch file to replace these lines:

    adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su"
    adb shell "ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su"

    with these:

    adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su"
    adb shell "rm /system/bin/su"
    adb shell "ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su"

    Viola... Rooted in 2.3.6

    hope that helps someone else that is having problems after loosing root from the OTA update.
    das8nt and cogeary like this.

  7. #17
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7366
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    807
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by babelad View Post
    The 1 click failed on my phone because it was rooted in 2.3.5 and the OTA update to 2.3.6 broke root but left su in /system/bin. When the script tries to create the symbolic link from /system/xbin/su to /system/bin/su it return "failed, file exists" To correct this issues I slightly modified the batch file to replace these lines:

    adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su"
    adb shell "ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su"

    with these:

    adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su"
    adb shell "rm /system/bin/su"
    adb shell "ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su"

    Viola... Rooted in 2.3.6

    hope that helps someone else that is having problems after loosing root from the OTA update.
    Thanks for the info.

    However I think that you still should have been successfully rooted although the linking failed; since you had the correct su in /system/xbin with the correct permissions, the symbolic link should always just redirect to that file even if it changes.

  8. #18
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7366
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    807
    Liked
    193 times
    I just tested the 2.3.6 root method on 2.3.5, it works! Edited the OP as the newer exploit is much faster.There's a good chance that this works on the A4G as well (the newest update at least)... anyone want to try?

  9. #19
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    1002
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio - The North Coast!
    Posts
    18,231
    Liked
    2018 times
    Good work cogeary - you R/S guys ROCK!
    cogeary likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

    GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom






  10. #20
    Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    11,157
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cogeary View Post
    I just tested the 2.3.6 root method on 2.3.5, it works! Edited the OP as the newer exploit is much faster.There's a good chance that this works on the A4G as well (the newest update at least)... anyone want to try?
    Gave it a shot, but no workie. Didn't have time to run though the manual method, but I'll give that a try to troubleshoot it sometime soon.

    Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 736
Size:  49.8 KB

    Edit: I haven't opened the batch file to look at it yet, but I have a feeling it's the remount command if the commands are the same from the manual method. remount doesn't work on the Atrix 1 from what I've found. We actually have to specify the specific partition to mount as r/w, such as

    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system

    I'll have to give that a try when using the manual steps.
    Last edited by das8nt; 02-18-2012 at 01:17 AM.
    cogeary likes this.

    AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence


 
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 738
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM
  2. How to root my atrix on a mac?
    By NinjaShadow1 in forum Motorola Atrix General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 08:44 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
  5. Atrix Swype keyboard (root or not to root?)
    By AndrewB in forum Motorola Atrix Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Search tags for this page

android how to be root
,
android how to be root? mb865
,

atrix 2 root

,

how to root android motorola mb865

,
how to root atrix 2
,

how to root mb865

,
how to root mb865,2.3.6
,

how to root motorola mb865

,

mb865 root

,
motorola mb865 root
,
root atrix 2
,

root mb865

,

root motorola mb865

,
rooting mb865
,
where to download trusted sbf file for motorola atrix
Click on a term to search for related topics.