Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How-To] Overclock the Atrix 2!

This is a discussion on [How-To] Overclock the Atrix 2! within the Atrix 2 Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; Mod type: kernel module Requires root: yes Mod statues: BETA! Mod by: tekahuna Original thread: Rootzwiki This mod is in beta and is not ready ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By cogeary
  • 1 Post By cogeary
  • 1 Post By thekooliest
  • 2 Post By G-Man

Thread: [How-To] Overclock the Atrix 2!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times

[How-To] Overclock the Atrix 2!

Mod type: kernel module
    Requires root: yes
    Mod statues: BETA!
    Mod by: tekahuna
    Original thread: Rootzwiki

This mod is in beta and is not ready for prime-time. It will NOT last through a reboot so you can experiment with it without the risk of a softbrick. First off, all credits to tekahuna (at rootzwiki) for working on the "Opptimizer Projekt".

Prerequisites
    -The latest files from here. Our A2's code name is "Edison" so you will want to download "MO_simple_edison_1.5-beta-XX.zip" with XX being the version number.
    -A rooted Atrix 2
    -Basic experience with adb and terminal

Installation

• Unzip the file you downloaded and connect your Atrix 2 to your computer
    • Open up a command prompt/terminal and use adb to push "symsearch.ko" and "overclock.ko" to your sd card
    • Use adb to shell into your Atrix 2. Gain root access with the "su" command. Remount /system as read/write:
      Code:
      mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
    • Use the cp command to copy the the .ko files to /system/lib/modules
      Code:
      cd /mnt/sdcard
      cp symsearch.ko /system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko
      cp overclock.ko /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
    • now use the insmod command to load the .ko modules:
      Code:
      insmod /system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko
      insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
    • You should now have the overclock modules installed until you reboot your Atrix 2. Test that you have the modules loaded and everything is working correctly by reading all the current settings:
      Code:
      cat /proc/overclock/*
      it should return something like this:
      Code:
      freq_table[0] index=0 frequency=300000
      freq_table[1] index=1 frequency=600000
      freq_table[2] index=2 frequency=800000
      freq_table[3] index=3 frequency=1000000
      gpu_opps[1] rate=307200000 opp_id=1 u_volt=1125000
      cpumin=300000 cpumax=1122000 min=300000 max=1122000 usermin=300000 usermax=11220
      mpu_clk_get_rate=300000 gpu_clk_get_rate=153600
      mpu_opps[3] rate=1000000000 opp_id=3 vsel=61 u_volt=1375000
      mpu_opps[2] rate=800000000 opp_id=2 vsel=55 u_volt=1313000
      mpu_opps[1] rate=600000000 opp_id=1 vsel=43 u_volt=1200000
      mpu_opps[0] rate=300000000 opp_id=0 vsel=26 u_volt=1025000
      1.5-yokohama-mapphone-beta-04

Overclocking

• This method of overclocking supports overclocking of all slots (at least it should if not for some bugs) as well as changing voltage. This means that you can change all different frequencies that the A2 will be running at, whether it's at full-speed or while idling.
    • The syntax for overclocking the CPU is:
      Code:
      echo slot_number MHz000000 vsel > proc/overclock/mpu_opps
      • The slot number is the slot you wish to over/under clock/volt. The Atrix 2 has slots 0 through 3. At the moment this method of overclocking can NOT write to the 0 slot- you will reboot.
      • The megahertz (MHz) is the number of gigahertz times 1000. This method of overclocking works in hertz, so add 6 0's to the end of the amount of MHz.
      • The VSEL is the voltage. The maximum VSEL (Moto put a cap on it) is 63. The top 4 VSEL values translate to:
        60 = 1370000uV
        61 = 1380000uV
        62 = 1390000uV
        63 = 1400000uV
      • If your phone can not handle the frequency or voltage, it will reboot.
      • I have found that the best way to overclock is to run a benchmark, bump it up a little bit, run a benchmark, bump it up a bit, and keep going until I'm at the frequency I like. Sometimes your phone won't handle instantly going from the stock frequency to a higher frequency but if you put some pressure on the CPU during the overclocking process your phone will handle it better.
    • Test to make sure the values are correct:
      Code:
      cat /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
    • You can also overclock the GPU with these modules, however I have found that it does not work (yet!) on the A2. Overclock the GPU with this:
      Code:
      echo rate > /proc/overclock/gpu_opps

Overclocking on boot
    It is not recommended to do this yet as the overclock is still in beta. Once it is stable, the developer probably will release a CWM flashable zip for overclocking various values on boot. If you still wish to overclock on boot, you can edit the init.d script or use an app like Tasker.

Enjoy! I will make this thread more user-friendly once the overclock gets out of beta.

DISCLAIMER: By using this guide you agree that this is at your OWN RISK and this forum nor myself will be held responsible for anything that may go wrong - i.e. bricking your device.

Last edited by cogeary; 02-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    G-Man and das8nt like this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    It's great to see things chugging along for my sister phone. Have you tried this?
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    It's great to see things chugging along for my sister phone. Have you tried this?
    Absolutely! Just by bumping up all the slots a little bit my antutu score rose by about 850

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    thekooliest likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cogeary View Post
    Absolutely! Just by bumping up all the slots a little bit my antutu score rose by about 850

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Nice to hear! Can't wait to see how things progress in ATRIX 2 development.
    cogeary likes this.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Very, VERY nice write up Cogeary! You're fitting in extremely well with the RS Role buddy! Please keep it up!
    cogeary and thekooliest like this.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Ads