Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

how to clean garbage..

This is a discussion on how to clean garbage.. within the Atrix 2 Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; dear friends when we install some app and remove after some time, these apps leave some unwanted data or folders in the memory, how to ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By das8nt
  • 1 Post By tartanraven

Thread: how to clean garbage..

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

how to clean garbage..

dear friends
    when we install some app and remove after some time, these apps leave some unwanted data or folders in the memory, how to remove unwanted data /folders or garbage from the memory .

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: how to clean garbage..

Without root all you can do is boot into recovery and clear the cache partition. With root you can browse the system and delete at will, but you have to be very careful about what you delete. You can delete any of the storage folders or files on the external microSD or the internal storage partition at will. Which files are folders are you specifically targeting?

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Without root all you can do is boot into recovery and clear the cache partition. With root you can browse the system and delete at will, but you have to be very careful about what you delete. You can delete any of the storage folders or files on the external microSD or the internal storage partition at will. Which files are folders are you specifically targeting?

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2
    My guess is that they want to remove "orphaned" files, etc.
    I would also like that and I am rooted. But I don't want to manually roam the filesystem on a seek and destroy mission.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    It's good to remember at this time that the EXT filesystem is not Windows. You wont find many orphaned files after you properly uninstall an app (key word here is PROPERLY) as in going through system then /applications/manage applications. I am sure there are probably some fantoosh third party uninstallers that are highly uneccessary out there. Most all of your apps will install to /bin or /usr/bin, and dont leave a string of .dll files everywhere like Windows.
    Remember folks....Android is Linux, not Windows
    One last note, and this goes to what das8nt said. Do not use third party "cleaning" apps under any circumstances, you will break dependencies, I guarantee it.
    das8nt likes this.

Atrix 4G rooted and rom'd with Cyanogen Mod 9
    Faux CM9 1.45gig Kernel
    (Zoom-Zoom)
    Fully thrashed and modded Nook Tablet (
    Team B CM7)

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    I know Windows and Linux inside out. That's doesn't mean that a properly uninstalled apps doesn't leave old caches/etc on your system. That can add up to a significant amount of space that's not easy to track down by hand. It's nice to have a "smart" program to deal with these types of things.

You seem to think app installs and uninstalls are just program files.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerGoggles View Post
    I know Windows and Linux inside out. That's doesn't mean that a properly uninstalled apps doesn't leave old caches/etc on your system. That can add up to a significant amount of space that's not easy to track down by hand. It's nice to have a "smart" program to deal with these types of things.

You seem to think app installs and uninstalls are just program files.
    1: The traces left after an app is "properly" uninstalled in the EXT system are negligible at the very best.
    2: Smart programs (correct term is application. Program refers to code) are only as smart as the user.
    3: Explain mind reading when you have the free time if you dont mind. I'll trade by explaining the differences between binary executables/dependencies/Windows dynamic link libraries.
    4: I'm not here to play "who has the biggest penguin"

Atrix 4G rooted and rom'd with Cyanogen Mod 9
    Faux CM9 1.45gig Kernel
    (Zoom-Zoom)
    Fully thrashed and modded Nook Tablet (
    Team B CM7)

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Some APPLICATIONS do leave large DATA caches, etc. behind when PROPERLY uninstalled. That's just a fact of life.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    I have noticed these files from old apps on my phone myself. I might be playing with fire here but here is what I did... This is coming from the OG Atrix so it is probably a bit different.

-Open file manager in app drawer
    -Select internal storage
    -Long press files from old app
    -Select delete file

Another thing to note... If you download an app from a source other than google play(such as from a forum)...You have to go into the downloads and manually install the app. If you uninstall the app, the app will remain on your phone after you uninstall it in the downloads file. You can go into your downloads and reinstall the app, or just delete it from the phone. I also clear data on an app before I uninstall.

Edit: I am probably the least tech savvy person here, so take it with a grain of salt. This may or may not be the right thing to do, this is just what I do.
    Last edited by Condor97; 08-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads