Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Corrupted SD Card- unable to mount or copy certain files. Help please!

This is a discussion on Corrupted SD Card- unable to mount or copy certain files. Help please! within the Atrix 2 Support forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; Hello all, today I've been download some ringtones with Zedge and I wanted to get them on my PC to put them into my compilation ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ManDroid

Thread: Corrupted SD Card- unable to mount or copy certain files. Help please!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times

Corrupted SD Card- unable to mount or copy certain files. Help please!

Hello all, today I've been download some ringtones with Zedge and I wanted to get them on my PC to put them into my compilation of ringtones. As usual I plugged in my device, navigated to the "zedge/ringtones" folder, and copied all of the files to a folder on my desktop. After about 5 minutes the copy still hadn't finished- it was stuck on a file it had been on a couple minutes ago. After waiting even longer I clicked "cancel" on the window and waited... after a few minutes I had to kill explorer.exe. Then I started freaking out because I was sure I had just corrupted my SD card, and because of how file transfer with Android is set up I can't use chkdsk on windows. So I disconnected the device, unmounted the SD card, and remounted it, figuring any corruption checker/fixer would be activated upon mounting. I used the stock file explorer to navigate to mnt/sdcard/zedge/ringtones to see if there was anything noticeably different. There was not, and the file that had frozen the copy played fine. So I assumed any corruption had been fixed, connected my device to my PC, and tried to transfer the files again. Same thing happened. I pressed the cancel button and came back a couple minutes later- the cancel had actually canceled! So I did the same routine as last time, with the intent to use Dropbox to transfer the files. But I clicked "Unmount SD Card" and waited. It told me "Unmount in progress" so I waited some more. After it finished... it gave me the option to Unmount the SD Card... i.e. it failed to mount but it didn't give me an error message. So I connected my device for charge only, opened up DDMS, and tried to unmount the SD Card. Below is the logcat output during that time.

Besides factory reset, what can I do? The option to format the SD Card is whited out. I'm fine with formatting the SD Card, but before I do, I need to know- what precisely is stored in the SD Card? Is any application data stored in the SD Card? Will I be able to copy uncorrupted files and paste them into a formatted SD Card and keep any settings stored in the copied files?

EDIT: Oops forgot the log. Here ya go: log.txt

EDIT #2: I just turned off my device, took out the SD Card, and put it back in. Now I am able to mount/unmount it. I want to format it, but I would like to know what I lose in formatting it. Can I back up what I would lose (so long as the files aren't corrupted)? Also, would it work for me to directly connect my SD Card to my computer and run chkdsk on it and fix it? Would that mess it up or would that fix any corruption it finds?

EDIT #3: OK I think I fixed it. I deleted all folders/files that I copied to the device (I have backups on my PC) and the corrupted files deleted without a complaint- I then copied the backups back in to it and it's working fine. I will run chkdsk sometime tomorrow when I get the chance. I'm sure you all would have tried to help me but posting help threads helps me get things fixed because I see it as a challenge to try and fix it before someone else does, so thanks for... not answering my question? Lol.
    Last edited by cogeary; 10-31-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Anytime you need a question like this unanswered, I'm your guy. So, you're welcome.
    Last edited by ManDroid; 10-31-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: you're, not your..doh!
    UltraDroid likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    RE: Corrupted SD Card- unable to mount or copy certain files. Help please!

I had this same problem. I think it came from my using my XP computer USB port at work to charge my phone. The computer gave the message, each time that I plugged it in, that it "Found New Hardware" and tried to mount, but then failed. I didn't care, because I didn't want to sync anything anyway, but I think that, and the fact that I DIDN'T USE THE USB UNMOUNT FUNCTION on my computer before unplugging, corrupted the card. I think we must always use the unmount, as for any USB or external drive. So, I managed to fix my problem by taking the Micro SD card out of my phone and putting it into an SD adapter, and plugging into the SD port on my computer. It then came up as a regular USB thumb drive, and I could copy all the files to a folder on my computer. Then you can reformat the SD card, in your computer or on the phone, and recopy the files back onto it, and put it back into your phone. I used this opportunity to replace the 2GB Micro SD card with a 16GB card. So pick one computer to sync with (my Windows7 computer at home), and always make sure to unmount, or eject, before unplugging. From now on, at work, I will only charge plugged into the wall. Tricky stuff! Good luck!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    You can always use "mass storage" settings on your phone to prevent this from happening.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hello jayne, and welcome to Atrix Forums! We are delighted that you joined our forum!

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. And welcome to the forum, Jayne!

But I did solve this problem more than a month ago... this forum just keeps on giving...

*COUGH*Defective Screen Woes- About to turn in my 3rd A2. Anyone else noticing screen probs?*COUGH*

Remove Ads

Ads