Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How-To] Use RSD Lite to flash an FXZ!

This is a discussion on [How-To] Use RSD Lite to flash an FXZ! within the Atrix 2 Support forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS IF YOU ARE ON THE LATEST UPDATE (ICS 4.0.4)! Your phone will HARDBRICK! I.E. turned into an expensive ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: [How-To] Use RSD Lite to flash an FXZ!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times

[How-To] Use RSD Lite to flash an FXZ!

WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS IF YOU ARE ON THE LATEST UPDATE (ICS 4.0.4)!
    Your phone will HARDBRICK! I.E. turned into an expensive paperweight, BEYOND REPAIR!

It is NOT possible to return from ICS to GB. There is currently one untested and complicated method of recovering from a softbrick. If we can't figure it out, our only hope is a leaked ICS fxz, which probably will come, but can take some time.

~~~~~~~~~~~

So, let's say you got yourself in a bootloop, and there's nothing you can do. Or maybe the OTA update is failing because of modifications/uninstallations. Either way, you're going to want to completely return to stock, and this is how you do it:
    DISCLAIMER: By using this guide you agree that this is at your OWN RISK and this forum nor myself will be held responsible for anything that may go wrong - i.e. bricking your device.

Prerequisites
    -Access to a Windows computer (XP or 7... the program below has been reported to not work on Vista)
    -
    RSDLite5.6.zip
    -Motorola Drivers
    -A good battery charge. Your phone will not let you flash if the battery is too low. If your device is softbricked and you need to flash the fxz, you could buy a battery charger on eBay or try the McGyver method

First off, what exactly is an fxz? Formerly known as sbf, an fxz stands for (I think) "Fastboot XML Zip". Official FXZs are files leaked from Motorola that can be used to restore all the way back to stock. If your device is malfunctioning and you wish to return in to Motorola/AT&T and you've rooted/installed ROMs etc, you should flash the fxz first. You use RSD Lite to flash an fxz file to your phone.

Step 1- download the fxz
    Choose the firmware for your A2 from this list. Make sure you download the fxz for your phone only! Once the file downloads, unzip it to a place that you can remember.

Step 2 (Optional)- edit the fxz
    This step is only valid if you are on an AT&T Atrix 2. If you have ever upgraded to 2.3.6 but want to flash the fxz, you must follow these instructions. The normal fxz will fail to flash if you are on 2.3.6/have ever upgraded to 2.3.6. In order to downgrade to 2.3.5 you will have to replace a couple files in the fxz and edit the xml file. I have already done all of this, so you can just download this file: replace.zip
    Once you download it, copy+paste the contents of it into the unzipped fxz, replacing all the necessary files.

Step 3- Install Motorola Drivers/RSD Lite

Install the necessary files listed in "prerequisites" if you have not done so already.

Step 4- Boot into Fastboot Mode and connect to your PC
    Power down your Atrix 2. If you are stuck in a bootloop, pull the battery. Power up the device by pressing and holding the Volume Up+Down buttons, and then holding the power button. You phone should power up and say "Boot Mode Selection Menu". Under "Available Boot Modes:" use the Volume Down key to scroll to "AP Fastboot." Press the Volume Up key to enter Fastboot mode. Now connect your Atrix 2 to your PC using a USB cable (preferably OEM). It should say "Transfer Mode: USB Connected" at the bottom.

Step 5- Flash the fxz with RSD Lite
    Open RSD Lite with administrator privileges. If you're connected properly then at the bottom it should show your device ("Fastboot Edison S" under "Model"). Right next to "File Name", hit the "..." button. Browse to the fxz that you you unzipped, and select the .xml file. Press the "Open" button, then press "Start."
    The whole process should take 3-6 minutes in all. Most of the tasks should go by quickly, and then at the last step it will flash Webtop which takes the most time.
    Note that one easy way to completely hardbrick you phone is to disconnect it while it is flashing the fxz. DO NOT DISCONNECT OR PULL THE BATTERY WHILE FLASHING THE FXZ, and remember, DO NOT TRY TO FLASH THE FXZ IF YOU ARE ON ICS!

If all goes well then your device should reboot. The initial boot will take longer than normal. Once the device has fully booted up, RSD Lite will display "PASS" under the device's status and you can close the program. After you re-setup your Google account and other initial setup things, your A2 should be completely stock.

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask

Last edited by cogeary; 10-10-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    das8nt, G-Man, sepa and 7 others like this.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Great job, man! Nice write-up!

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Great job, man! Nice write-up!
    Thanks . By now I'm quite familiar with the process

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks man, exactly what I'm looking for.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow, am I ever grateful for guys like you who spend your time and energy to make life so much better for the rest of us! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and know how with everyone!
    das8nt likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ummm, I am trying to do this right now (messed around with lfaber's ROM and got into a bootloop) and I am currently running RSD and have clicked Start. However, it shows that there are only 18 tasks total, and I am stuck on the first one! Everything seems right, but it's just stuck and has been for ten minutes now. I did everything specified in the thread, can someone help?

Edit: I closed the RSD after much consideration and retried pressing Start, and this time it started going through tasks. However, it's still 18 tasks? Is that normal?
    Edit 2: Sorry I totally overreacted. Everything seems to be back to normal. Just didn't want to mess up my new phone permanently lol
    Last edited by iarejohnsmith; 03-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iarejohnsmith View Post
    ummm, I am trying to do this right now (messed around with lfaber's ROM and got into a bootloop) and I am currently running RSD and have clicked Start. However, it shows that there are only 18 tasks total, and I am stuck on the first one! Everything seems right, but it's just stuck and has been for ten minutes now. I did everything specified in the thread, can someone help?

Edit: I closed the RSD after much consideration and retried pressing Start, and this time it started going through tasks. However, it's still 18 tasks? Is that normal?
    Edit 2: Sorry I totally overreacted. Everything seems to be back to normal. Just didn't want to mess up my new phone permanently lol
    Good to hear it's back to normal.

It's much better to overreact than to underreact... I've had a couple moments like that too .

It sounds like you used replace.zip which modifies how/what RSD Lite flashes to your phone... it removes two of the flashing processes because we don't have the 2.3.6 files so there is only 18 tasks. It is completely normal.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DavGMac View Post
    Hello, is there anyone on right now ?
    Could you please be more specific? At what part of the operation did it fail? Were you on Android 2.3.6 (the latest version for the A2) prior to flashing the fxz?

You say it failed on step 17. Step 17 out of how many steps? What was the operation that was performed during step 17?

Also, what version of Windows are you running? XP, Vista, 7, etc?

Yes I can see you.
    Last edited by cogeary; 03-20-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, i hope i am doing this right ..... i am back on the main thread .... Can you see me now here ... ?

cogeary, Are you there ?

Ok, good so I just keep editing my post is that right and I am on Windows 7 ... and it was step 17 of 18 just like your instructions after doing the replace files of step #2 ...

And now i am still connected to USB and in Fastboot Flash mode and afraid to unplug it ..... Please help !!

Well I guess i will just go ahead and unplug and try to reboot it ..... I dont know what else to do ..... I must have lost you !!!!

After it failed in step #17, i then reextracted the download to a new set and didnt do the replace files and it failed right off in step #1 .. .so now i dont know what to do to get out of this ?

Hello CoGeary, are you still there or did i lose you ..... what do i do .... i dont want to mess up my A2 ... can i disconnect or not ?
    Last edited by DavGMac; 03-20-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DavGMac View Post
    Ok, i hope i am doing this right ..... i am back on the main thread .... Can you see me now here ... ?

cogeary, Are you there ?

Ok, good so I just keep editing my post is that right and I am on Windows 7 ... and it was step 17 of 18 just like your instructions after doing the replace files of step #2 ...

And now i am still connected to USB and in Fastboot Flash mode and afraid to unplug it ..... Please help !!

After it failed in step #17, i then reextracted the download to a new set and didnt do the replace files and it failed right off in step #1 .. .so now i dont know what to do to get out of this ?

Hello CoGeary, are you still there or did i lose you ..... what do i do .... i dont want to mess up my A2 ... can i disconnect or not ?
    Alright, it sounds like you did do everything right. Step 17 of 18 is /preinstall, which shouldn't have anything to do with the replacing of files.

Also, yes you CAN unplug and power off. You will not be able to reboot into your normal android lockscreen, however you will still have access to Fastboot mode.

Sometimes RSD Lite can just be finnicky and work one time but not the other. First, make sure that you have installed the correct Motorola drivers (see post #1). Now reboot your computer.

Now let's make sure that the fxz is what you need. If you need to redownload the unmodified .zip file, do so (but don't forget to turn your phone off in order to not drain the battery). Once you have the unmodified .zip file, extract it to your desktop. Now redownload the mentioned "replace.zip" and extract it into the folder on your desktop containing the fxz. When you are asked to overwrite files, keep choosing to overwrite. Do NOT re-zip the folder on your desktop; just leave it there. RSD Lite will be able to flash it.

Now that you have an fxz that should work for you, open up RSD Lite. Boot your phone back into Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. If you are on a desktop computer, connect it with the rear usb ports as they are higher-powered. After a couple seconds RSD Lite should show that your phone is connected. Now click the "..." button to browse for an fxz to flash. Navigate to inside the folder on your desktop, and choose the file called "InlineFlashing_edison_5.5.175.16_cfc_p3_APBP_CID2 85.xml". Hit "Start", and then do NOT touch your phone, the USB cable, or do anything else on your computer until the processes finish.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads