Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix HD: T-Mobile SIM Not Allowed On Network

This is a discussion on Atrix HD: T-Mobile SIM Not Allowed On Network within the Atrix 3 HD Support forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 3 HD Forum category; Hi Folks. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my Atrix HD to recognize a new T-Mobile SIM card. Here's where I've been through ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mid70s
  • 1 Post By Mid70s
  • 2 Post By Mid70s

Thread: Atrix HD: T-Mobile SIM Not Allowed On Network

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Atrix HD: T-Mobile SIM Not Allowed On Network

Hi Folks. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my Atrix HD to recognize a new T-Mobile SIM card. Here's where I've been through and where I'm at now:

- Purchased AT&T MB886 Atrix HD on ebay preloaded with fresh install of CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly build from 9/28/13
    - Inserted new T-Mobile SIM card, not prompted for unlock code...
    - Attempted to register on T-Mobile network, received error message "Your SIM card doesn't allow a connection to this network"
    - Attempted again with second new SIM card, same result
    - Upgraded to new CyanogenMod M1 build from 11/2, same result
    - Performed TWRP/CWM-based recovery>wipe data/factory reset..., same result, though now it shows on the lock screen "SIM/RUIM IS PERSO LOCKED" (may have been there before, but I don't remember seeing it)

I doubt if the phone is network unlocked, so I expected the prompt for an unlock code. In researching I found several people for whom the factory reset worked (even prescribed by Motorola support) to solve this when a new network SIM was used, but sadly not for me. What should I try next? Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Problem Solved!

It was suggested that I would need to restore to AT&T stock JB, which I did. The phone now properly prompts for an unlock code when I insert the T-Mobile SIM. Once I get things satisfactory with T-Mobile, I'll re-flash CM M1.
    Condor97 and stalemate like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Glad to hear you got it straightened out!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm back in business now. AT&T sent me the unlock code in just 12 hours (had my fingers crossed), unlocked, and T-Mobile was setup automatically. Reflashed ClockworkMod Recovery, then Cyanogenmod 10.2 M1. It hung in a boot-loop the first time, so I erased all caches and did a data wipe/factory reset, and the second CM flash worked fine. Learned a lot in this whole episode. Thanks.
    Condor97 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    I have heard horror stories about getting unlock codes, but the one time I tried it was very similar to your experience. The representative was very helpful and friendly and I think I got it within a day. How do you like TMobile so far? How's your reception? I have considered trying them out but I don't know that I would be able to because of coverage.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor97 View Post
    I have heard horror stories about getting unlock codes, but the one time I tried it was very similar to your experience. The representative was very helpful and friendly and I think I got it within a day. How do you like TMobile so far? How's your reception? I have considered trying them out but I don't know that I would be able to because of coverage.
    Getting the unlock code from AT&T was easy through their online form at https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ . Very simple form, and completely automated for the user if there are no problems with your phone/IMEI. T-Mobile will work for us in our location. Coverage is not a good as AT&T, and voice quality doesn't seem as good either (probably because of that). We also have a small dead zone on our drive home from work which always drops the call. But it's worth it to get unlimited services for three phones for $90. Much cheaper than AT&T, even with a 20% discount I get from work. We're in WiFi most of the time, so the data cap/speed limits won't bother us.

Two things still to work out on the Atrix HD: Today I'll play with the network/data settings to setup 3G/4G (currently still EDGE). I would also like to know if it's possible to use T-Mobile's WiFi-VoIP with this phone. (as an aside, I use the MagicJack app to do VoIP with my MagicJack phone number). The ATRIX HD is hard to beat for the specs you get for the price on the used market. You put on a mod like Cyanogenmod and it's a very powerful phone. I just bought my wife one too (eBay again).
    Condor97 and UltraDroid like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    I always thought the HD was a cool phone, definitely underated. I am glad they got the bootloader unlocked so that it can see it's full potential.

Remove Ads

Ads