Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wifi mobile hotspot does not work.

This is a discussion on Wifi mobile hotspot does not work. within the Atrix 3 HD Support forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 3 HD Forum category; I recently bought an Atrix HD from craiglist, bought an unlock code and unlocked the phone perfectly. I am using Family Mobile (walmart), and I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Wifi mobile hotspot does not work.

I recently bought an Atrix HD from craiglist, bought an unlock code and unlocked the phone perfectly. I am using Family Mobile (walmart), and I DO get 4g (had to buy a sim cutter to cut the sim to fit into Atrix HD and it worked!!!!!!). The question I have is my my old Atrix 4g w/ lapdock worked great for wireless tethering using Foxfi. I have tried every known mobile hotspot app including the one on the phone and nothing is working on the Atrix HD. I have followed seveal different recommendations via the net but something is not right. From what I understand the Atrix HD cannot be rooted and I tried rooting the Atrix 4g (no success), which I ended up using FoxFi on the Atrix 4g with perfect results. Please help. I would love to be able to use the Atrix HD in wifi tethering like I did with the 4G because I am getting the full 4G speeds from the towers because the HD has the full compliment of frequencies that tmobile offers and it really does connect at those speeds....very very fast!!! The phone reports that the phone states "account not setup for mobile hotspot" when using the phone's Tethering and Mobile hotspot feature under settings. How can I get mobile hotspot to work on this phone. Like I said, my old Atrix 4g worked perfectly not being rooted using FoxFi. Same account, same Family mobile service, just a smaller chip after using the cutter to cut down the sim to fit into the Atrix HD. I love Family Mobile because it is so inexpensive for a full compliment of services that are ALL umlimited - no speed downgrades at all - full 4G all day everyday for $45 a month. I just want to be able to mobile hotspot like I did with Atrix 4G. This phone is far superior in all aspects except this one issue. I am upset with Moto for not producing a lapdock. I would have bought that in a instant!! Please help. Don't want to go back to the Atrix 4G for mobile hotspot because it does not support the 4G network, only Edge using Family Mobile.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: Wifi mobile hotspot does not work.

In reading the reviews on the Play Store it seems it doesn't work with most ICS/JB versions. There hasn't been any feedback from the developer since the complaints started showing up.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you mean FoxFi or any mobile tethering apps...sorry your response was a little confusing...Thanks for responding. Appreciate the help.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: Wifi mobile hotspot does not work.

I just was reading specifically about Foxfi. It's unique in that it didn't require root. The others should still work with root, but I can't say for certain.

The negative reviews for Foxfi have nearly all been from users that recently upgraded to ICS or JB. They all claimed it didn't work post upgrade.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all the posts

Still no success getting the mobile hotspot to work on my Atrix HD and it looks like rooting is out the question. Damn you MOTO!!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Interestingly and oddly enough I actually took my atrix hd to a corporate att store and had them put in an actual active chip that was hotspot capable and low and behold my phone STILL DID NOT WORK! All this time the phone would not hotspot for anything or any program. I have been in touch with ATT direct support along with Motorola and it seems as if though ATT sent out a batch of atrix hd phones that were given to vendors and had the hot spot feature completely disabled. I was able to set up an appointment with the tech guru's at ATT locally here in Illinois to see if the phone can be firmware flashed and try it that way. I have to pay to have it done but it is worth a shot as I love the features of the phone and the speed. I went out and bought a Galaxy Nexus as an immediate need for the hotspot thru my service (Family Mobile - Walmart) and the hotspot program worked perfectly the first time I tried so I know it is NOT my service nor my chip. Funny thing is I had to cut the chip using a Noosy chip cutter to fit into the atrix hd, but had to use an adapter for the Nexus because it required a full size chip. Go figure. I will post again after ATT tech gurus fix they phone. We shall see what happens but I am not confident it will resolve the problem and I may end up selling the phone. Thanks again for all the help from everyone!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rooting The Atrix HD

While trying to figure the hotspot problem out, I was able to finally root the HD....YAY!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    475 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bdogllc View Post
    While trying to figure the hotspot problem out, I was able to finally root the HD....YAY!
    Glad to hear!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bdogllc View Post
    I have same problem, so i rooted but i couldn't find app that works me.
    What app do you use?

Ps: my first post

Enviado desde mi MB886 usando Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1998 times
    Welcome to the forum Spake!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom