Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix HD randomly reboots 1-2 times a day?

This is a discussion on Atrix HD randomly reboots 1-2 times a day? within the Atrix 3 HD Support forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 3 HD Forum category; I noticed from the very begining the HD reboots randomly through out the day. Frequency 5-8 times a week. I don't think I can blame ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Atrix HD randomly reboots 1-2 times a day?

I noticed from the very begining the HD reboots randomly through out the day. Frequency 5-8 times a week. I don't think I can blame any app for this, as I have tried uninstalling apps to see if the problem goes away.
    The phone could be on Standy By and I will hear it restart.
    I could be using the phone, and it may also restart.

I searched the web but didn't find much on this issue for the HD. Some people were blaming the SIM card, but I doubt that is the case here.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Re: Atrix HD randomly reboots 1-2 times a day?

I've had mine almost a week and haven't seen that issue on the HD, although I encountered it on the 4G. My phone has been up 140 hours which is when it rebooted from the OTA update after unboxing it and powering it on initially. I'll update if I see random reboots. I hope I don't because I was extremely frustrated with them on the 4G.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    Hiram

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yea I had this problem in my 4G as well. Surprised the problem followed the HD.It is becoming a very annoying problem.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone2Atrrix View Post
    Yea I had this problem in my 4G as well. Surprised the problem followed the HD.It is becoming a very annoying problem.
    Still haven't seen a random reboot, but after running about a week, I've seen it start to get laggy and a manual reboot fixed it. I also had what appeared to be a "soft reboot" on Sunday. The phone hung on me... while I was trying to get it to respond, I saw the AT&T logo like you see at bootup (although not the Motorola logo), then the lockscreen came up and my notification bar was empty like it had just booted. When i checked the uptime, it was still about 63 hours, so it's like the UI portion restarted.

I am seeing a couple of other quirks like issues with the dock apps not launching (which can be fixed by a reboot or force closing the dock service) and icons/widgets on the homescreens mysteriously disappearing, changing, or moving (I've had to put the Weather Channel widget back 3 times now).

Hiram

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    After installing official jelly bean update, the reboot problem is still there. I'm starting to think maybe this is Motorola Atrix HD hardware? Or maybe an App. Is there a way to tell which apps were running right before phone rebooted?

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

I just had a random reboot. I attempted to launch the CapitalOne mobile app and the next thing I saw was the Motorola logo. It looks like it was a soft reboot because the uptime still shows over 52 hours. This is the first random reboot I've seen with the HD.

Hiram

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
    I just had a random reboot. I attempted to launch the CapitalOne mobile app and the next thing I saw was the Motorola logo. It looks like it was a soft reboot because the uptime still shows over 52 hours. This is the first random reboot I've seen with the HD.

Had another soft reboot under the exact same conditions. I haven't done a full reboot since the previous one, though. It's a little annoying, but at least it's much faster than the 15 minutes my 4G was taking to reboot. (Sometimes multiple times in a row meaning that it would be unusable for 30-45 minutes or more.)

Hiram

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    What's the phone doing just prior to shutdown? What is the location(counter, clothing, carpet, etc.)? I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with a type of default "cooldown" procedure, to protect the processor from excessive heat. They tend to get rather warm at times. Mine has only "randomly" rebooted when I had loose internal battery connections, & would bump it, etc. This is only speculation
    ""From my cold, dead hands!"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My wife and I started Androiding with the Atrix 4G. After a year or so, she dropped hers face down on concrete patio. Still worked fine, just screen shattered badly. Excuse to upgrade to Atrix HD !!!! Yay !!! My policy is to keep wifey and I on identical phones because it simplifies troubleshooting for me.

We have not experienced frequent random reboots with our two Atrix HD phones at all. My experiences with the 4G and HD Atrices (?) are that the more you load them up with apps, the more likely you are to have seemingly random, frequent reboot issues. Another biggie is when either internal or SD card storage gets close to full you can begin getting frequent random reboots. I also noticed this after moving our 4GB SD cards from Atrix 4G to the HD phones. Emptying the card and reformatting with the new HD cured the issue for us.

How do I know this ? My beloved wife tends to load a LOT of weird crap on her phone AFTER she takes her Rx sleeping pill (chronic insomniac). Then when she whines to me later that is is getting slow and rebooting itself, I make her check the space left internal and external - and remove any apps that she doesn't recognize. Then I kid her about the "other woman" that sneaks in and uses her phone at night.
    We depend on these for our primary communications with family and friends, and I have my work mail configured on it also. We have always run stock ATT firmware releases on our phones for this reason and never rooted them. As much as I love tinkering with computers (23 years in IT) I need these to work well all the time.

In your case, (assuming your phone is not running custom ROM or rooted) I would bite the bullet, copy any data you need off the phone and SD card, and then do a reset to factory image. Check for any ATT approved updates and install them. After you boot back up from resetting, format your now empty SD card with your HD. Now, you have a pristine phone with all stock software and no apps loaded. Run it like this for a week or two. If it STILL has the rebooting itself frequently issue, you likely have a hardware issue. If it's under warranty, get it replaced.

Hope this helps some.

Remove Ads

Ads