Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Moonlight (Silverlight for Linux) Coming To Android

This is a discussion on Moonlight (Silverlight for Linux) Coming To Android within the Atrix News & Site News forums, part of the Motorola Atrix News & Site News category; Recently, Microsoft has been raising eyebrows by delivering mobile apps for iOS devices. Thereís that dead-sexy Bing app for the iPad, the slick Live Messenger ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Moonlight (Silverlight for Linux) Coming To Android

Recently, Microsoft has been raising eyebrows by delivering mobile apps for iOS devices. Thereís that dead-sexy Bing app for the iPad, the slick Live Messenger app, and even OneNote for iOS. Android users havenít received the same kind of attention yet, however, but at least one Microsoft technology is headed to Googleís mobile OS: Silverlight.

The same group who put together Moonlight ó which brought Silverlight to Linux desktops ó has been working feverishly to produce an Android version. Amazingly, in less than a week the Moonlight team was able to build a working version and demonstrate it at MIX11 in Las Vegas. Developer Jeffrey Stedfast says that thereís plenty of work left to be done, but is clearly excited by the teamís progress so far. While the demo video after the break isnít going to blow your mind, itís still very cool to see Silverlight content being played back on an Android device.

In addition to the initial demonstration video, Stedfast has now shared a second which shows Moonlight for Android rendering 3D transforms (itís after the break as well). Itís an impressive display, especially considering the incredibly short amount of time the team has been at work on the Android port. And the way Microsoft is pushing Silverlight for Windows Phone 7, this might just become incredibly handy towards the end of the year when Mango arrives and WP7 developers can go hog wild ó since you may just have a way to play with some of their creations on Android.

For now, youíll have to make do with watching Stedfastís demo videos, which look very smooth running on the Motorola Xoom. Frame rates bounce between 37 and 55, but overall the playback looks pretty darn good.

Source: geek.com

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    that's awesome.

Netflix uses silverlight on the PC.

maybe this is the beginning of some Netflix mobile...

sent from my atrix 5.7 gblur

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NaLoMo View Post
    Netflix uses silverlight on the PC.

maybe this is the beginning of some Netflix mobile...
    Netflix was my first thought when I read this, but I would be very surprised if it's not somehow blocked on mobile devices. We can dream though...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Netflix was my first thought when I read this, but I would be very surprised if it's not somehow blocked on mobile devices. We can dream though...
    maybe. but Netflix is missing out on a huge fan base. so until they get a suitable app (to their security standards) it would be safe to assume this moonlight app could be used like a plugin for a mobile browser website. that way they can profit from it and we won't be left out in the cold.

i still use my iPhone for on the spot wifi Netflix viewing. can't wait to cut that out all together.

sent from my atrix 5.7 gblur

^ nexus 5 .

fin.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I'm not sure I understand what this does. It makes video have a 3D effect and you can move it?
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what this does. It makes video have a 3D effect and you can move it?
    It's basically a plug in. To view netflix on a computer, it requires the silverlight video player plug in. This is just a mobile version of that. Now as far as the implications for the rendering and image manipulation I don't know.

^ nexus 5 .

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Silverlight is generally the same idea as adobe flash player right?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As I understand it, Moonlight doesn't even play netflix on linux (their primary target) due to the DRM that Netflix uses (which is built into Silverlight but not in Moonlight). There are only two sites that I go to that use Silverlight and neither of them are supported on Moonlight so this does nothing for me.

Remove Ads

Ads