Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Motorola Atrix vs. iPhone 4

This is a discussion on Motorola Atrix vs. iPhone 4 within the Atrix News & Site News forums, part of the Motorola Atrix News & Site News category; Now that the Atrix has arrived, the big question when deciding to purchase it is how does it compare to the current king of the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 4Nines

Thread: Motorola Atrix vs. iPhone 4

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Motorola Atrix vs. iPhone 4

Now that the Atrix has arrived, the big question when deciding to purchase it is how does it compare to the current king of the smart phones – the iPhone 4?

First things first, so let’s look under the hood. Unfortunately for the iPhone 4, the Atrix runs a dual core 1 GHz processor with 1 GB of RAM– just like the Xoom tablet. This leaves Apple in the orchard as far as power is concerned; the iPhone 4 only has 512MB of RAM and a single core 1 GHz processor. First round goes to the Atrix.

So with a powerhouse of a chip, how does the battery life of the Atrix compare to that of the iPhone? Well it compares quite favourably, offering up to 9 hours of power when used fully, compared to the 7 hours the iPhone gives. The Atrix also has a removable and replaceable battery, another plus over the internal non-changeable power pack of the iPhone.

Memory wise the Atrix has a 16GB internal card, whereas the iPhone 4 can be purchased in 16GB or 32 GB models. The Atrix however, allows 32GB to be added via SD card, giving it a full 48GB of memory. The Atrix also supports Flash, a contentious issue as far as iOS is concerned as Apple honchos are still refusing to support it on their devices.

Both machines are virtually the same weight, the Atrix a tad lighter, but its display is larger and so a more worthy machine for visual use. Its body however can feel quite plastic and doesn’t seem nearly as stylish as the iPhone’s beautiful glass skin.

Though beauty is only skin deep and as far as connectivity is concerned the Atrix’s dock give it three USB and one mini HDMI connectors - a huge benefit for the Motorola when comparing it to the iPhone. It does come second as far as web and network support are concerned -the iPhone is still king in this department.

The fact that the new Motorola Atrix is built to be compatible with a multimedia dock and Lapdock is innovative enough to show the iPhone up as an older machine. Couple this with the Atrix’s processor, battery, memory and connectivity and it comes out as a far stronger candidate for the mobile phone crown. Remember though, with iPhone 5 on the cusp of being released, it could be a case fleeting loyalty toward the Motorola camp. The king is dead, long live the king.

Written by: Simon
    thekooliest and WERA689 like this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Good written, I do think that both phones are power kings of their own operating systems (yes there are better media devices on Android, I can't think of any..but the Atrix isn't great at pictures, etc.). I think it really comes down to personal preference on what operating system you wanna use. Or if you are an extreme gamer, go with the Atrix because it has opened a whole new realm of mobile gaming that the iPhone 4 will never achieve.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    By the time the iPhone 5 comes out it still will not have flash, it won't have SD card support, it will probably have a dodgy antenna like the last two iterations, you still won't actually own it because the OS and hardware will be locked down and you'll have to void your warranty to gain full functionality. The good news is by then Motorola will be on the cusp of deploying a quad core. Good riddance iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish I had a Motorola Atrix instead :-(
    Last edited by celticAtrix; 04-25-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by celticAtrix View Post
    By the time the iPhone 5 comes out it still will not have flash, it won't have SD card support, it will probably have a dodgy antenna like the last two iterations, you still won't actually own it because the OS and hardware will be locked down and you'll have to void your warranty to gain full functionality. The good news is by then Motorola will be on the cusp of deploying a quad core. Good riddance iPhone.

Well your quite the anti-Apple iPhone user now aren't you. Plan on coming to this side of the bridge (the cool side) anytime soon?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I admit it I'm a cranky disgruntled ticked off iPhone user. I'm less and less enthusiastic about all things Apple. When they bring the App store to the Mac I won't be sucked into the upgrade stream and I'll be out for good. My Pc hardware is cheaper and more capable than Mac hardware and more graphics software is becoming available on Linux.

Android plans include a Xoom in May and an Atrix this summer. I'll pay out my iPhone contract by then. Maybe Telus will have them by then otherwise I'll be a new Bell Mobility customer.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I admit it I'm a cranky disgruntled ticked off iPhone user. I'm less and less enthusiastic about all things Apple. When they bring the App store to the Mac I won't be sucked into the upgrade stream and I'll be out for good. My Pc hardware is cheaper and more capable than Mac hardware and more graphics software is becoming available on Linux.

Android plans include a Xoom in May and an Atrix this summer. I'll pay out my iPhone contract by then. Maybe Telus will have them by then otherwise I'll be a new Bell Mobility customer.

It looks like you love the Atrix (or would love to have one). But if you're already waiting for a speedy Android device...I would definitely go with the Samsung Galaxy S2 (sorry all Atrix owners don't hate!). This gives you more carrier options (it appears it will be going everywhere, like the first Galaxy S did). Also a prettier screen, better camera (both cameras, and 1080p recording out of box), Gingerbread, 1.2GHz dual core, still 1GB of ram. I don't know, I wish that it had come out earlier so I didn't have to jump on the Atrix. I am happy with it, but I am jealous of this future Galaxy S2.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I have until July to firm up a decision. Thanks for the info.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Well I have until July to firm up a decision. Thanks for the info.

Ya there is news of Galaxy S2 being delayed..although it seems like news is bouncing back up and something might be confirmed by June. Just something to check before you run for an Atrix. Although it does have a 4.3" screen if that's a turnoff (but for me it would be worth it).

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What really makes the atrix stand out for me is the webtop when connected to an hdmi device. I use it for streaming shows, watching movies I uploaded onto the device and presentations. Even better since xda unlocked it without the dock accessory. Anyone know if the galaxy s2 will have something similar?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpalmeiro View Post
    What really makes the atrix stand out for me is the webtop when connected to an hdmi device. I use it for streaming shows, watching movies I uploaded onto the device and presentations. Even better since xda unlocked it without the dock accessory. Anyone know if the galaxy s2 will have something similar?
    That's a great point. I find it useless without bluetooth keyboard/mouse which I don't have so I never got into it. And the graphics weren't great for my biggg TV. Not sure about the Galaxy S2, but you never know it might just have HDMI mirroring (that's what I hoped Atrix would've had) which just shows your device on the screen. No special layout.

Remove Ads

Ads