Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New Trojan Malware called GGTracker Mimics Android Market to Trick Users

This is a discussion on New Trojan Malware called GGTracker Mimics Android Market to Trick Users within the Atrix News & Site News forums, part of the Motorola Atrix News & Site News category; Developer's over at Lookout software have uncovered a new malware for Android that is extra nasty and sneaky. It's called GGTracker, and it is a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm
  • 1 Post By RobKort

Thread: New Trojan Malware called GGTracker Mimics Android Market to Trick Users

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times

New Trojan Malware called GGTracker Mimics Android Market to Trick Users

Developer's over at Lookout software have uncovered a new malware for Android that is extra nasty and sneaky. It's called GGTracker, and it is a Trojan that mimics the look of the Android Market in order to trick users into installing it. It looks just like the picture above for now, so as you can see it's pretty deceptive. Here's a quote from the AndroidCentral article describing how you can get infected, and how to prevent it,
    It happens when you click a malicious in-app advertisement -- your browser opens to the URL in the image, looking just like the Market, in hopes that you'll install the fake (in this case a Battery Saver app) application. Also spotted was a version that claims to be an adult app (com.space.sexypic). After you click to install it, you're directed to install via the download notification. For now, it doesn't appear that this one is in the Android Market -- which means it might stay around for a while.

There are three easy ways to prevent this:

• Disable sideloading completely (or use AT&T as your carrier -- zing!)
    • Use Lookout premium's Safe Browsing feature
    • Pay attention to what's happening. The Android Market will never open in your browser. You'll also never be prompted to manually download an app from the Android Market.
    We thought it was important to keep you guys informed on this so you can help your less tech-savvy friends and relatives stay protected. It's getting like the "old west" out there in Android-land, but as long as we band together we can defeat the vile bandits.

Source: Android.net via AndroidCentral
    RobKort likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Thank you very much for posting this!

Definitely a heads up our community needs!

Be on the watch people..

This is just to show that being cognizant and aware of what you're doing, is essential.
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Very good indeed. Is there any way to pin things like this for everyone to see. Maybe on a boleting board or announcement page?
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    You mean for our site?
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Yes, like on a separate tab for important stuff like this.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    There is, silly

He posted it in the "news" section. Where important article's go. It's the very top of our site for picking out threads.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    ok, never mind then.
    Im A Monsta likes this.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Remove Ads

Ads