Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Android Takes 20% of Tablet Market From iPad; The Real Reason Apple is Lawsuit Happy

This is a discussion on Android Takes 20% of Tablet Market From iPad; The Real Reason Apple is Lawsuit Happy within the Atrix News & Site News forums, part of the Motorola Atrix News & Site News category; Here's the wrinkle, the thrux of the matter, the real nitty gritty... Apple isn't suing Amazon, HTC, Samsung, and now Motorola because they genuinely believe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Android Takes 20% of Tablet Market From iPad; The Real Reason Apple is Lawsuit Happy

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    181
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    86
    Liked
    27 times

    Android Takes 20% of Tablet Market From iPad; The Real Reason Apple is Lawsuit Happy


    Here's the wrinkle, the thrux of the matter, the real nitty gritty... Apple isn't suing Amazon, HTC, Samsung, and now Motorola because they genuinely believe their ideas are being copied. In fact, Apple's lawsuits have nothing to do with any of these companies. There is one singular pattern emerging from all this... there is only one common denominator: Android.

    A new report from ABI Research indicates that in just 12 months time, Google's Android based tablets have taken a 20% chunk out of Apple's iPad marketshare. While it's true that no single manufacturer of a tablet has been able to mount any significant threat to the iPad... taken as a whole, the multiple Android manufacturers aren't just eroding Apple's marketshare in the tablet market, they are slicing through it aggressively. It's precisely because Android doesn't come from just one particular manufacturer that makes it such a monumental threat to Apple. It can attack from multiple angles.

    It is very likely that Android's "meteoric" rise to dominance in the smartphone industry scared the crap out of Apple. Now, they are having a terrifying "deja vu" experience in the tablet industry, and see the exact same thing repeating itself with Android for tablets "ramping" up to crush the iPad.

    Apple isn't confident that it can go after Google directly or beat it in the marketplace, so it has chosen instead to assault Android indirectly in the courts by going after the manufacturers that make Android products. This is a devious plan, and simply smacks of desperation.

    In many ways, it is a very sad tale. Apple is actually a pretty amazing company and has always been a leader in innovation. I even consider myself to be a fan of Apple. They pioneered some of the greatest technological phases in human history, but for some reason they always choose to remain a "closed" system. This ultimately leads to their downfall, just like when Microsoft beat them in the past with PC's versus Macs. It may be true that for the longest time Macs were a better product than any PC (and it could be argued that they still are), but it is impossible to deny that when it comes to market proliferation, they got the "snot beat out of them." Windows based PCs control a vast majority of the world's home computer markets, and Mac OS computers hold maybe 15%.

    History is repeating itself with Android vs. iOS, and unless Apple decides to become more "open-minded," their fate is already sealed; they will again be relegated to a "niche" market spot. Fighting their competitors by abusing the legal system will not stop it, and simply just smacks of "bad form."

    Does anyone else see this same pattern? Isn't it obvious?

    Source: BGR
    Picture Source: RougeCrown via MobileAttack.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    2233
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    532
    Liked
    21 times
    The only pattern I see is the multiple hardware/ software combos for android and the continued fragmentation. Its easy to take market share when there are 20 variants if tablets and 100 variants of phones in the android camp. They are all competing against one iphone one ipad. That's the real reason there is any competition from android. Let's be honest you can get a low end android device in any carrier even prepaid, not so with iphone. Same with the tablets multiple price ranges, styles and system. Not so with ipad. Its the same crap with pc versus mac , you can get a pc for next to nothing and it comes preloaded with windows garbage unlike mac which doesnt have a cheap price point. In the end toyota makes alot of cars but ferrari is an elite selectibe brand whom would you rather be? Plus the writing is on the wall huh? Apple finished the market the other day as the most valuable company in the world.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    866
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In a Pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    1,184
    Liked
    62 times
    Nice post man. Yes I see the pattern as clear as day. This covers everything for me ----->
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    History is repeating itself with Android vs. iOS, and unless Apple decides to become more "open-minded," their fate is already sealed; they will again be relegated to a "niche" market spot. Fighting their competitors by abusing the legal system will not stop it, and simply just smacks of "bad form."

    Does anyone else see this same pattern? Isn't it obvious?

    Source: BGR
    Picture Source: RougeCrown via MobileAttack.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1328
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, CA
    Posts
    1,031
    Twitter
    @logantyler_
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
    The only pattern I see is the multiple hardware/ software combos for android and the continued fragmentation. Its easy to take market share when there are 20 variants if tablets and 100 variants of phones in the android camp. They are all competing against one iphone one ipad. That's the real reason there is any competition from android. Let's be honest you can get a low end android device in any carrier even prepaid, not so with iphone. Same with the tablets multiple price ranges, styles and system. Not so with ipad. Its the same crap with pc versus mac , you can get a pc for next to nothing and it comes preloaded with windows garbage unlike mac which doesnt have a cheap price point. In the end toyota makes alot of cars but ferrari is an elite selectibe brand whom would you rather be? Plus the writing is on the wall huh? Apple finished the market the other day as the most valuable company in the world.
    Android has a huge variety. Want touchwiz? Go with samsung. Want sense? Go with HTC. That's why it's gaining more market.

    You can't compare Ferrari (apple) with Toyota (android). If Ferrari was like apple it would have the looks but couldn't go any faster then a honda.

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Rooted & Unlocked Motorola Atrix with CM7

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    2233
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    532
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan. View Post
    Android has a huge variety. Want touchwiz? Go with samsung. Want sense? Go with HTC. That's why it's gaining more market.

    You can't compare Ferrari (apple) with Toyota (android). If Ferrari was like apple it would have the looks but couldn't go any faster then a honda.

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    My whole point is android is watering itself down just like windows mobile did. To many variations and to many phones that loose support etc etc etc etc windows mobile did the same thing and look at it now. In the end there are mtiple new Android handsets out monthly all with different crap loaded on them from the hardware companies and the carriers. Constantly phones becoming obsolete. Apples model gives you at least two years of your phone or ipad being relevant and the OS is easily backwards compatible. For instance my sister has a 3GS on the latest iOS that my gf iphone 4 has and it runs real good. How many phones pre 2011 have gingerbread on them besides the nexus line NONE.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1328
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, CA
    Posts
    1,031
    Twitter
    @logantyler_
    Liked
    59 times
    I understand your point. That's why from this moment on I'm only going to buy the NEXUS phones.

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Rooted & Unlocked Motorola Atrix with CM7

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    2233
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    532
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan. View Post
    I understand your point. That's why from this moment on I'm only going to buy the NEXUS phones.

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    If I stay Android that is the only way I will go forward as well. Although I am leaning heavily iphone 5 and iOS

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    5651
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    536
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan. View Post
    Android has a huge variety. Want touchwiz? Go with samsung. Want sense? Go with HTC. That's why it's gaining more market.

    You can't compare Ferrari (apple) with Toyota (android). If Ferrari was like apple it would have the looks but couldn't go any faster then a honda.

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Yes, and this non-sense about "fragmentation" is ridiculous. No doubt started by a fruit company.

    Yes, there are some differences in the UI's some of the Android phones use. However, the applications have a far more consistent interface than do iOS applications. And some people actually like have choices in the UI rather than having a one size fits all solution.

    In addition, most of the core functionality in Android is consistent across various manufacturers (and I'm not talking about ancient versions like 1.6). Most applications will run on any 2.2 or above phone (which pretty much all the new ones are at least 2.2). And their overall usage will be far more consistent then a large variety of iPhone apps that have a great deal of difference in the basic UI of each.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    2233
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    532
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerGoggles View Post
    Yes, and this non-sense about "fragmentation" is ridiculous. No doubt started by a fruit company.

    Yes, there are some differences in the UI's some of the Android phones use. However, the applications have a far more consistent interface than do iOS applications. And some people actually like have choices in the UI rather than having a one size fits all solution.

    In addition, most of the core functionality in Android is consistent across various manufacturers (and I'm not talking about ancient versions like 1.6). Most applications will run on any 2.2 or above phone (which pretty much all the new ones are at least 2.2). And their overall usage will be far more consistent then a large variety of iPhone apps that have a great deal of difference in the basic UI of each.
    Your assessment is nonsense. Fragmentation is a reality there are many many handsets that came out within this year that are stuck on Froyo! For you to state otherwise is BS. Inly the top line android phones are in the 18 month upgrade window and only a percentage of them will be 100% upgraded. With Android there are manufacture skins and carriers that have alot of say in the release of updates , unlike iOS that's directly from apple no matter carrier or what. The hardware and software along with the companies direction are symbiotic. Only the Nexus line is the same for Android the others all have third parties calling the shots which leads to fragmentation always!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    5651
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    536
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
    Your assessment is nonsense. Fragmentation is a reality there are many many handsets that came out within this year that are stuck on Froyo! For you to state otherwise is BS. Inly the top line android phones are in the 18 month upgrade window and only a percentage of them will be 100% upgraded. With Android there are manufacture skins and carriers that have alot of say in the release of updates , unlike iOS that's directly from apple no matter carrier or what. The hardware and software along with the companies direction are symbiotic. Only the Nexus line is the same for Android the others all have third parties calling the shots which leads to fragmentation always!
    Your intense love for Apple is duly noted. Do you also work there?

    The VAST majority of Android applications will run on Froyo and above. So what, exactly, is the "fragmentation" problem that you speak of?

    All of the handsets that are SO different do YOU because they simply run a different launcher (most of which can be replaced with nice FREE ones), are actually quite the same under the OS hood (sure, some offer different hardware, which ONCE AGAIN some people LIKE having that CHOICE).

    You focus on the "direct from Apple no matter what" is *exactly* why some people don't like it. Who's more anal these days about locking down the phone, Apple or the carriers? In many cases, it's Apple. How many carriers does Apple supply to? Two? Some people like more choices than that.

    P.S. Here's Apples idea of giving users a choice: Would you like that in black or white?
    Last edited by BeerGoggles; 08-12-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Irwin083, Auxilium and Dr.Musician like this.


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ipad bs android market share

,

reall state or phases of matter

Click on a term to search for related topics.