Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

HTC Faces Possible Import Ban This December; Google's Android Could Be Next

This is a discussion on HTC Faces Possible Import Ban This December; Google's Android Could Be Next within the Atrix News & Site News forums, part of the Motorola Atrix News & Site News category; Although Samsung scored a victory against Apple's lawsuits recently, things are looking grim for HTC, and in fact, if things get worse, it could have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: HTC Faces Possible Import Ban This December; Google's Android Could Be Next

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times

HTC Faces Possible Import Ban This December; Google's Android Could Be Next

Although Samsung scored a victory against Apple's lawsuits recently, things are looking grim for HTC, and in fact, if things get worse, it could have far reaching consequences for Android in general. In July, an ITC administrative law judge ruled that HTC was in violation of two of Apple's patents. HTC appealed the decision, and that appeal (which was originally scheduled to be heard today, December 6th) will be heard on December 14th. If the judge rules in Apple's favor, it could have dire ramifications.

What makes this situation so important is the particular patents that are being infringed upon. These patents are at the very core of Android OS design. For reference, here are the patents:
    • U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 on a "system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data" (in its complaint, Apple provides examples such as the recognition of "phone numbers, post-office addresses and dates" and the ability to perform "related actions with that data"; one example is that "the system may receive data that includes a phone number, highlight it for a user, and then, in response to a user's interaction with the highlighted text, offer the user the choice of making a phone call to the number")
    • U.S. Patent No. 6,343,263 on a "real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data" (while this sounds like a pure hardware patent, there are various references in it to logical connections, drivers, programs; in its complaint, Apple said that this patent "relates generally to providing programming abstraction layers for real-time processing applications")

The problem is, because these patents are so broad and general, if HTC ends up having infringed upon them, then so has every other manufacturer that uses Android. Here's a statement from FOSS Patent's, Florian Mueller that he wrote after last summer's ruling,
    "Google's Android mobile operating system is in serious trouble. It's hard to see how any Android device could not infringe [the patents], or how companies could work around them."
    The worst case scenario for HTC is that their Android products could be banned from import just before the holiday season here in the United States, and Apple could then take HTC to a separate court system to sue for monetary damages. Of course, they could opt to license their patents to HTC , but that hasn't exactly been their behavior in the past. Ultimately, a defeat for HTC could mean Apple would be going after Google directly to halt the Android operating system entirely.

Thanks to our tipster in the forums, Zathus!

Source: CNNMoney and FossPatents

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Apple is cordially invited to plant their Labium superius and inferius oris upon my gluteus maximus. The day they are the sole smartphone manufacturer is the day I give up smartphones completely.
    G-Man, WERA689 and stalemate like this.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    This is absolutely absurd! I can't even believe that a Judge would even consider any of this!! Competition is what drives the market.... What Apple is doing would be no different that Chevy Suing Ford for using a similar combustion engine as they are, or transmission, its completely ridiculous!

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Apple pays off those in charge of making decisions and gets away with it. Their field of distortion is really a huge problem, but not as huge as the US Patent system.

Innovation will stifle and we all will fail if this continues, but I'm pretty certain Android will not go away, despite Steve Job's dying wish.

Done with this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Apples dont keep forever... they eventually ROT. Just biding my time

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Those Apple patents are just absurd... I don't think a patent could get more general than these...
    real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data
    So pretty much Apple is patenting the way to communicate with logical drives, external devices, and a bunch of other things. If Android gets banned for this, then why wouldn't MS Windows or (gasp) even Linux?
    system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data
    And here Apple is patenting... well, my brain just exploded. If Apple goes this far, why not just buy the rights to every programming language out there and then sell the SDKs?

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Even my blackberry recognized phone numbers and highlighted then for me... Why aren't they being sued?

Sent from Chris's Atrix

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    Even my blackberry recognized phone numbers and highlighted then for me... Why aren't they being sued?
    I'd say it's because Apple's ultimate goal is to wipe Android off the face of the Earth.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    My crappy old Nokia dumbphone from 15 years ago did it too, long before the first iWhatever was even hinted at. Our answering service texted the client numbers to our phones and I basically hit two keys and it called them.
    So basically, I would call that first patent invalid on its face.

As far as the second one, sounds like hardware to me, except for "programming abstraction layers for real-time processing applications."
    But ... isn't that essentially what ALL ANDOID PROGRAMMING (and maybe Java) is?

I am not a coder, so I really can't say. But they both sound like they shouldn't have been granted in the first place.
    "Tact is for people who aren't clever enough to be sarcastic."

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    The more I read about Apple, the more I dislike the company! Honestly, I think I should patent some random vague saying and take them to court! That seems to be their strategy these days!
    ~Luke

Nottachtrix 2.0 with UbunTopLX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads