Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[OPINION POLL] Will Windows Handsets Rival Android Powered Smartphones by Next Year?

This is a discussion on [OPINION POLL] Will Windows Handsets Rival Android Powered Smartphones by Next Year? within the Atrix News & Site News forums, part of the Motorola Atrix News & Site News category; We ran a piece on our sister site, windowsphoneforums.net , on how Nokia is going to be placing a slow and steady stream of Windows ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [OPINION POLL] Will Windows Handsets Rival Android Powered Smartphones by Next Year?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times

[OPINION POLL] Will Windows Handsets Rival Android Powered Smartphones by Next Year?

We ran a piece on our sister site, windowsphoneforums.net, on how Nokia is going to be placing a slow and steady stream of Windows powered handsets into the market throughout 2012. They will be innovative handsets and promise to deliver a phenomenal user experience.

While we recognize the fact that this site is dedicated to Android enthusiasts, we are very curious as to what the readers feel about the often dismissed ecosystem reemerging once again. The poll ask: Do you think Windows will become a viable competitor in 2013 because, as you well know, it needs a chance to get on it's feet in 2012 and be exposed to the consumer market.

So, to the best of your abilities, set aside any bias and give us your perspective on what you see happening on the OS playground in 2013. Will iOS and Android still reign supreme or will Microsoft reemerge and begin to siphon competitors away? Perhaps you think it will just simply flounder and fade into obscurity?

image source: toggle blog

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    If I have to judge by the sales of the actual devices, and I highly doubt it. They will have to make a he'll of a promotional campaign to push the OS which I have not seen yet. As much as I love Nokia and a fanboy of their products, I still think they made the wrong choice.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    honestly i think samsungs tizen os will overtake windows os worldwide in two years

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    In all honestly, I think there needs to be another mobile OS to provide competition in the mobile scene. While Android and iOS are both top notch OS's, the steady decline of the Blackberry has more or less put it on the chopping block as far as market share (though in my personal opinion it's a rather niche OS, catering mostly to larger companies). I think Microsoft's initial entry in to the recent mobile market was weak. I can't even remember the name of the last device, but I am pretty sure it was scratched before the common public even had a chance to hear about it. Those in the tech field might have heard of it, like I did, but you would have to be interested in reading tech sites, or the very least CNN's tech page.

In order for them to succeed, they are going to have to reinvent the mobile OS, in ways that both Android and iOS have. Back when I had my Motorola Q, it was simple to sync my PC and phone. No issues, but the phones left something to be desired. Though I never had a problem with the phone's OS crashing on me, I was not the "power" user that I am today. Windows 8 Mobile needs to put something out there that is creative, unique and leaves something to be desired for in the mobile scene that none of the current mobile phone OS's today have.

In order to do that, they are going to have to give consumers an incentive to change their mobile OS (maybe for a second or third time) to get outside of the current users that enjoy the Windows experience on their devices. In all honesty, I just don't see that happening.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    If asked for my prognostication I have to admit it doesn't look good, the unfortunate fact is that Windows has lost any kind of "cool" factor (if it really ever had any) a long time ago and there seems to be an element of that in the advertising for both Android and iOS. They're each "cool" in their own way. I remember the Windows phone 7 ads when they first started pushing the brand and I thought they were pretty good. Focus on the idea that the phone is there to help you be a part or your real life, not consume it, with it's quick and easy to use UI. If they can focus on the speed with which you're able to see and respond to in coming communication of any type and get on with your life then they might be able to get some more people interested. I myself am planning on switching to a WP7 device next specifically for the simplicity of that OS and luckily for me I'll be eligible for my upgrade in June, two months after the Nokia Lumia 900 is supposed to be available on AT&T. So assuming I still like it at the end of 30 days, you'll be able to count me among those converted.

Sent from Steve-O's rooted and app customized Atrix.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    The future of Windows mobile is actually promising now. The reason why I say that is, Windows Mobile 8 is built into Windows 8 (Desktop OS). Basically everything the phone has is now in Windows 8. So, as long as people like the "new" windows then Windows Mobile will last, and perhaps might even become third or second.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hellvalley View Post
    The future of Windows mobile is actually promising now. The reason why I say that is, Windows Mobile 8 is built into Windows 8 (Desktop OS). Basically everything the phone has is now in Windows 8. So, as long as people like the "new" windows then Windows Mobile will last, and perhaps might even become third or second.
    So far, I haven't seen much of anything to recommend about Windows 8, aside from the Metro interface, which I despise with the white-hot intensity of a million suns (I didn't spend a thousand dollars to build a killer PC in order to give it a glorified phone interface designed for simpletons and forced into an Apple-style, lame-ass walled garden).
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    So far, I haven't seen much of anything to recommend about Windows 8, aside from the Metro interface, which I despise with the white-hot intensity of a million suns (I didn't spend a thousand dollars to build a killer PC in order to give it a glorified phone interface designed for simpletons and forced into an Apple-style, lame-ass walled garden).

Hey, I never said I liked it. But windows 8 is mixed with windows phone. So we shall see.

a little off topic, Windows 8 (Dev preview) is the worse OS I have ever seen/used. I'd much rather use a mac! >_>

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Hey, I never said I liked it. But windows 8 is mixed with windows phone. So we shall see.
    No worries, I never said you did. Sorry if I made it sound that way. Peace.

a little off topic, Windows 8 (Dev preview) is the worse OS I have ever seen/used. I'd much rather use a mac! >_>
    +1
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    IMO, Windows had the chance to be the top dog before Apple and Android were on the scene, but they proved to be unreliable and glitchy, and none of the newer versions seemed to get it right.
    Add into the equation that very few mobile companies are willing to give them a high end phone to install it on, there is no incentive to switch to a Windows phone.
    Another nail in the coffin is their app store. Its pretty bare, and most apps are asking for too much money, but Android and IOS apps can make money easier due to the high amount of users and the advertising revenue.

Having played with the newest version of Windows on a Nokia Lumina, I would say that it is a vast improvement over previous versions, but nowhere near good enough to take on Android. Apple's OS looks very dated, so it may take a few of their customers away, but people seem to be quite loyal with their OS, so it's an uphill battle.

My money is on this being a future contender, simply due to the price for the technology:
    Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!
    Spreading the Android word across the UK with the help of my Atrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads