Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Motorola Backtracks; The Atrix 4G Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich After All

This is a discussion on Motorola Backtracks; The Atrix 4G Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich After All within the Atrix News & Site News forums, part of the Motorola Atrix News & Site News category; This has to be the first time we have seen something like this. First, not too long ago Motorola promised that the Atrix 4G smartphone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Motorola Backtracks; The Atrix 4G Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich After All

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Motorola Backtracks; The Atrix 4G Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich After All

This has to be the first time we have seen something like this. First, not too long ago Motorola promised that the Atrix 4G smartphone would eventually be getting upgraded to Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich in Q3 of this year. Now, they have completely backtracked on this position. They released a chart indicating that the phone will remain on Gingerbread and will not be getting ICS. There is no indication as to why this is happening, but it does seem to coincide with their typical behavior for older phones and eliminating the update schedule for devices at around the two-year mark.

This seems like a very poor move on their part. It wouldn't be so bad if they had simply not promised to bring ICS to the device in the first place. Now they are just making themselves look bad. How can Moto users ever trust the update schedule again after this?

Source: SlashGear
    Condor97 and BUC like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I waited long enough. Last week rooted my phone, unlocked boot loader, and flashed with epinter's CM10 (Jelly Bean) ROM with kernel overclocked to 1300 MHz.

The phone works great and has plenty new functions. Only major issues being Video Camera and Netflix. Some games do have flickering due to unused GPU (drivers not available).

It would be nice if they could somehow at least release the new drivers (I know well that's not happening), that way we can make full use of the phone with the custom ROMs.

I still would say, it's worth the upgrade. The phone looks and performs so much cooler.

Very disappointed in Motorola as a company.

RJZ
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mayor disappointment! Atrix 4G is still in 2012 the first non iphone top rated smartphone in toptenreviews.
    With this news Motorola is holding back one of its greatest achievements, needless to say that with the months of expectation and the unfulfilled roll out promised for Q3, one just feels played with.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    <cut>
    This seems like a very poor move on their part. It wouldn't be so bad if they had simply not promised to bring ICS to the device in the first place. Now they are just making themselves look bad. How can Moto users ever trust the update schedule again after this?

Source: SlashGear
    That part cannot be emphasized enough! I'm a little amazing at the outcry from users and the incredible negative comments on many forums, including their own. But then again, I'm not that amazed as I'm one of the angry owners of the Atrix 4G (though I still love the phone).

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    A rooted Atrix, running a custom Rom, will always be better than anything that the "industry" has to offer anyhow. I still love my original 4G, with or without ice-creamcicles, jelly bellies, or whatever vending machine fodder OS is next.
    Give a hoot- Unlock & root!

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Re: Motorola Backtracks; The Atrix 4G Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich After All

Someone posted this on the Motorola forum, so I figured I'd pass it along.

supportmymoto.com
    A unified campaign backed by developers and you requesting Ice Cream Sandwich & Jellybean updates, source code, and unlocked bootloaders for the owners of Atrix MB860, Atrix MB861, Atrix ME860, Electrify MB853 ,Photon MB855, DROID X2, MB870, XT882, MT870
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Hiram

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lungbender View Post
    A rooted Atrix, running a custom Rom, will always be better than anything that the "industry" has to offer anyhow. I still love my original 4G, with or without ice-creamcicles, jelly bellies, or whatever vending machine fodder OS is next.
    Except that many features aren't as good without hardware driver support (which generally only comes from the manufacturer since it's their hardware).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lungbender View Post
    Sounds great...except I use my phone for work (bought by my employer). If I mess with the phone, they will take it off the network and I will have to buy one to replace it. IT guys don't want anything to do with custom ROMs on their network. This will apply for anyone using a phone on their employers network (assuming they are capable of understanding the risks).

Member #
    Twitter
    @carolaik
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Motorola Backtracks; The Atrix 4G Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich After All

Want ICS on your Atrix, sign the petition:

http://www.change.org/es/peticiones/..._term=25886506

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andra View Post
    Want ICS on your Atrix, sign the petition:

Petición | Ics for atrix | Change.org

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
    I signed maybe this will help?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast