Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

root bell 2.3.6?

This is a discussion on root bell 2.3.6? within the Bell (Canada) forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Carriers category; Originally Posted by mic Thanks for this Rob, but for some reason it refuses to work for me, im getting can not find device errors ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: root bell 2.3.6?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Thanks for this Rob, but for some reason it refuses to work for me, im getting can not find device errors as soon as i get to

adb shell /preinstall/dosu Is there an alternative way of Rooting post the 2.3.6. update on my bell atrix.

Also USB debigging was on and i had followed all the other aspects exactly, i was not sure if adb was supposed to be called adb.exe but it didnt seam to make any difference anyway.

thanks
    You can also try a set of commands in a Terminal Emulator from the Market (Google Play Store). Try it after flashing the root.img, if that part works. See here for the on-phone commands: http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/motorola-atrix-hacks/8064-how-root-atrix-4g-1-mac-2-3-4-2-3-6-os-versions.html#post98529

Sent from my Unlocked/Rooted/Stock Moto Atrix using Tapatalk
    mic likes this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

mic
    Member #
    Twitter
    no
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    You can also try a set of commands in a Terminal Emulator from the Market (Google Play Store). Try it after flashing the root.img, if that part works. See here for the on-phone commands: [HOW TO] Root the Atrix 4G(1) on a MAC - 2.3.4/2.3.6 OS Versions

thanks for that mate, ill give this a shot and get back.

M

mic
    Member #
    Twitter
    no
    Liked
    0 times
    So das8nt,

Basically I have failed. I then took it to a guy who does unlocking / boot loading etc for a living and he failed. So to recap,

First I used supper 1 click to root - worked beautifully
    Then I got the OTA update 2.3.6. which I had to accept and it updated, I lost root and inherited all sorts a strange glitches like parts of the touch screen don't work etc.

Finally I have tried both pre-install methods and failed always with a device not found errors or command errors?

Any ideas how to go forward?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Hmm... you may want to try flashing your phone with the SBF for your current version (4.5.141 if on AT&T) to try to fix some of your bugs/glitches.

As for rooting, errors like that are usually driver or file placement related, but since you took it to someone else that used a different computer (I assume), I'm not sure what would be the issue.

Did you, by chance, get any screen shots of the command window on the failed attempts showing the fastboot and adb commands? Sometimes I can find something in there. I want to say it almost never the phone itself, but a SBF flash might help resolve any connection issues that may be getting in the way as well.

mic
    Member #
    Twitter
    no
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Hmm... you may want to try flashing your phone with the SBF for your current version (4.5.141 if on AT&T) to try to fix some of your bugs/glitches.

As for rooting, errors like that are usually driver or file placement related, but since you took it to someone else that used a different computer (I assume), I'm not sure what would be the issue.

Did you, by chance, get any screen shots of the command window on the failed attempts showing the fastboot and adb commands? Sometimes I can find something in there. I want to say it almost never the phone itself, but a SBF flash might help resolve any connection issues that may be getting in the way as well.
    Thanks Das8nt,

I think your right, I left out an important step.

Once I Rooted, I installed bloat freezer and froze everything i could. after the update everything that i had frozen disappeared, which means I must be missing odex and apk files from 2.3.4.and 2.3.5. and 2.3.6. This perhaps explains the glitches and why I cant root.

I am on Bell, and the phone is in good shape, all the problems I have came the moment I go the O.T.A 2.3.6.

So what should I do, from Odex apk and SBF I don't really know which acronym I should start with. Once I have them in I'll go back to the Rooting process and take screen shots as i go.

thanks for your help as always mate.

M

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Thanks Das8nt,

I think your right, I left out an important step.

Once I Rooted, I installed bloat freezer and froze everything i could. after the update everything that i had frozen disappeared, which means I must be missing odex and apk files from 2.3.4.and 2.3.5. and 2.3.6. This perhaps explains the glitches and why I cant root.

I am on Bell, and the phone is in good shape, all the problems I have came the moment I go the O.T.A 2.3.6.

So what should I do, from Odex apk and SBF I don't really know which acronym I should start with. Once I have them in I'll go back to the Rooting process and take screen shots as i go.

thanks for your help as always mate.

M
    I'm sorry, I missed an important fact last time I replied as well... this is a Bell thread; no SBFs available.

Missing apps shouldn't negatively affect rooting, especially if trying to use the Terminal Emulator on the phone.

Without a SBF for Bell, there's no easy way to repair the system app files. It's a long way to do it, but you can download the /system/app dump for 2.3.6 from here: http://das8nt.com/downloads.html and try to compare what's there and what's missing. BUT, if you haven't rooted and altered the system since the update, then I'm betting nothing important is missing; if it were, then the update should have failed the install and you wouldn't be on 2.3.6.

So, I'm still stumped. =/

mic
    Member #
    Twitter
    no
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok that's cool, I will start going through everything file by file and put back all the games and crap software the phone came with, i can pull a lot of it off my other Atrix as i have 2 of them. I'm pretty sure that some of the games and bloatware that Bell put on the phone have hidden patches in them. Ill get back to you with the result if any.

thanks again. M

mic
    Member #
    Twitter
    no
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Das8nt, thanks for the link downloads

Ill load the .apk files for 2.3.4 first, but
    what do I do with the odex files? do I need them? i have a sd card Im loading them all into.

thanks mate \

M

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Hey Das8nt, thanks for the link downloads

Ill load the .apk files for 2.3.4 first, but
    what do I do with the odex files? do I need them? i have a sd card Im loading them all into.

thanks mate \

M
    Unless you're running a "de-odexed" system (you'll know if you are) then the odex files are needed to go right beside the apk files. Just copy them over and set their permissions as well.

Member #
    Twitter
    @carolaik
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you been successful rooting the bell 2.3.6 ? If so could u let me know what exactly u used?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads