Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Need alittle guidence

This is a discussion on Need alittle guidence within the Motorola Atrix 2 forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; Reading everything I can trying to decide and believe I am going to get the Atrix 2 this week. Some background I was a Windows ...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Need alittle guidence

Reading everything I can trying to decide and believe I am going to get the Atrix 2 this week.

Some background

I was a Windows user (Motorola Q) then changed to the iPhone 3GS, 2 years ago. I was never a big iPhone fan but did like the bigger/better- screen/camera than the Q. I use E-mail, Docs to Go, Scanner Pro, Builders Helper Pro, Simple Note, BC reader, 2do and Ever Note on a daily bases.
    My largest complaints were having to tie into iTunes for everything and transfer work data through e-mails or tied to my home computer. Later the screen size with the lack of device form factors . I wanted to be able to tie into any available computer to get the files I need and better yet tie to a USB thumb drive.

I looked at several Android devices but none seemed to jump out at me. I then looked at the Win7 devices and liked a lot of what I saw but no OTG USb, file drag and drop to folders or Something as simple as sending a video in MMS to my granddaughter is none existent in that platform.
    After seeing the first Atrix it really intrigued me and now after seeing the Atrix 2 I think I am ready. I would have liked to have seen larger than 8g internal storage but expandable storage is OK.

My question is how smooth is the OTG USB working? I get files from Engineers on thumb drives and currently go to my office and dig through the files and extract the ones our office needs then email those to the main office. I want the ability to connect thumb drive to phone on jobsite, go through files and just send the ones we need to main office.

On the iPhone I use iFiles to store lots of job plans and this fills up my phone and slows it down, plus little screen drives me nuts. If I can store the files on thumb drives it would be much easier I believe?

I have searched and found most of the apps I use have a duplicate on Android and very happy about that. I could not find one for the 2DO app and really like the way it operates. Has anyone used that App and can give me a close as possible Android substitute.

I am a heavy phone user but none games or youtube mostly Word, Excel documents and E-mails.

Any insight on
    OTG USB usability??? Can you edit files on USB? Drag drop between phone and USB?
    Best to do app???
    Best e-mail app?

I really like this forum and the posters here and choose to post this on this site because I feel I will receive the best advice. THANKS in Advance.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hi there CCP, and welcome to Atrix Forums! We are delighted that you chose to join our forum, and hope to see you on a regular basis as a contributor. I'm not a tech person, so I can't really provide answers to your questions, but we have a large group of really knowledgeable (and really NICE) members, as well as our superb Rescue Squad - the guys who know the ins and outs of the Atrix - who will be popping in on you shortly to provide the information you requested.

In the mean time, pull up a chair, kick back and relax - you're with friends now.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    I can't answer questions about the A2, but the generic answers, I can

Yes, you can drag and drop between phone and usb using file manager (PC) of choice and USB connection. The SD card(s) can be seen as a drive.

To do app? Hmmm, depends on what you want to do. Jorte is a great calendar app that can sync with Google Calendar online (which can be set up using your Outlook calendar)

Best email app? personal choice, as are most apps. I like and use Kaiten Mail, which is a paid app (enhanced version of K9 email)

Welcome to the forums. We do have a couple of A2 users here, so you'll get help from them, no doubt.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm an Atrix 2 owner, so hopefully I can help you out a little.

I don't use OTG, but you can hook the atrix (or any android phone) to a pc via USB and mount both the internal and external (micro SDHC) as drives. Another option would be to remove the microSDHC and put it in a card reader attached to a computer. On the Atrix 2 the microSD is accessible without removing the battery.

I only use gmail (both for my gmail.com address and my consulting business email that's hosted with google), so I'm no help there, sorry again.

For to-do I just use evernote and have a note going that I edit as I complete things (or make notes about progress).

In general, this is the best phone I've ever used. My progression of smartphones was iphone3g -> iphone 3gs -> nexus one -> dell streak -> iphone 4 -> atrix -> atrix 2

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dasfiend View Post
    In general, this is the best phone I've ever used. My progression of smartphones was iphone3g -> iphone 3gs -> nexus one -> dell streak -> iphone 4 -> atrix -> atrix 2
    Wow, thats pretty impressive. I mean I like the phone alot but its only my second smartphone, first was a SE Xperia X10, so I dont really have much to compare it to. But you've had quite a few so ur opinion carries a bit more weight.

sent from my Motorola Atrix 2

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the welcome and answers. I just picked up the phone,got home and playing with it now. WOW!!!! is all I can say so far. Appears I been missing out without Android.. I am sure to ask many questions over the next few weeks and also give my take on what I like over the iPhone.

Just ordered my Otter Box Defender to keep this puppy looking good.

Once again THANKS

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CCP View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and answers. I just picked up the phone,got home and playing with it now. WOW!!!! is all I can say so far. Appears I been missing out without Android.. I am sure to ask many questions over the next few weeks and also give my take on what I like over the iPhone.

Once again THANKS
    Haha, that was my first impression too! Especially when I reminded myself it only costed me $49.99. Nice choice on the case too, I went with an Otterbox as well but the Commuter series.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Once again THANKS
    I like android over iOS for three main reasons:

1) Options. Android has 'em, iOS doesn't. Don't like the keyboard? Go ahead and download one of six billion keyboards from the market. Don't like the main interface (launcher)? Sure you can replace that on Android. And so on and so forth.
    2) Updates that make the phone run *better*. As I said above, I have a Nexus One I'm not using anymore. Still I pull it out once in a while and update it just for fun. It runs better now on gingerbread than on the day I bought it. Try that with an iphone :P.
    3) Widgets! Man I loves me some widgets. I can put so much information *and* interactivity on a single screen. Just one glance or one quick tap and I'm gtg.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    2-1/2 days and still enjoy the phone and learning Android. I have heard ďif you donít like something on an Android then change itĒ. This is very true, I didnít like the stock keyboard and went out on the market and bought one I liked. Able to get some of my same apps or equivalents was very nice, other than having to pay again.

I did have the camera crash a few times and turning off the phone then back on solved this. Going over to the Moto site I seen were some others had the same issue. Saving pictures from the web and e-mails are little more complicated then ios but doable.
    I believe I have made the right choice in picking a replacement for the iPhone however talking to the wife I think the iPhone she has is more suitable for her needs. Simplicity has its own virtues. Some things I donít seem to like that I believe will go away as I get adjusted to the new OS and the way it goes about doing the same task as ios.

One other thing that bothers me is the small internal storage. For now I have added a small 8g card I had from the old Q but it is old. I had two apps to load that said not enough storage and was baffled by this as they were both 20M apps and should have had room. This could be from having an old outdated card? Even with a bigger SD card installed I fear I may still have some problems since some apps will not install on SD card or at least thatís what the warning pops up on the screen is telling me.

I will know more as time passes 2-1/2 days is not enough time to know how an electronic device is going to do for everyday use. Maybe after a few weeks I can give a full review on my thoughts as an X ios user.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    2-1/2 days and still enjoy the phone and learning Android. I have heard “if you don’t like something on an Android then change it”. This is very true, I didn’t like the stock keyboard and went out on the market and bought one I liked. Able to get some of my same apps or equivalents was very nice, other than having to pay again.

I did have the camera crash a few times and turning off the phone then back on solved this. Going over to the Moto site I seen were some others had the same issue. Saving pictures from the web and e-mails are little more complicated then ios but doable.
    I believe I have made the right choice in picking a replacement for the iPhone however talking to the wife I think the iPhone she has is more suitable for her needs. Simplicity has its own virtues. Some things I don’t seem to like that I believe will go away as I get adjusted to the new OS and the way it goes about doing the same task as ios.

One other thing that bothers me is the small internal storage. For now I have added a small 8g card I had from the old Q but it is old. I had two apps to load that said not enough storage and was baffled by this as they were both 20M apps and should have had room. This could be from having an old outdated card? Even with a bigger SD card installed I fear I may still have some problems since some apps will not install on SD card or at least that’s what the warning pops up on the screen is telling me.

I will know more as time passes 2-1/2 days is not enough time to know how an electronic device is going to do for everyday use. Maybe after a few weeks I can give a full review on my thoughts as an X ios user.
    I had that not enough room BS a couple times as well. Try installing them again, it worked for me.

As for the storage, I would say definitely get a newer 16 or 32gb card. I personally stream my music with subsonic from one of my home systems. Music is the only thing I've ever had on a phone that took up a ton of space. Anywho, with a decent SD card you should be gtg; tons of apps support being moved to the sd card these days.

As I listed above I've had 3 iphones, so if you're struggling with something let me know maybe I can help you figure out the equivalent on Android.

Remove Ads

Ads