Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Permissions!?

This is a discussion on Permissions!? within the Motorola Atrix 2 forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; OK.....I'm new to this smart phone thing and apps and all, but I'm one of those who thinks we all are being exposed way too ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Permissions!?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry Permissions!?

OK.....I'm new to this smart phone thing and apps and all, but I'm one of those who thinks we all are being exposed way too much. I went on to the Market and started to download a weather app. I see this thing called "permissions". It reads like "they" will have access to my phone calls and those whom I call, data, emails, .......pretty much everything I do and wherever I go. Why do they think they need this or have a right to this just for me using their app? I thought that maybe that's the price you pay for a "free" app. No.....paid apps want the same info. Are there any apps that don't require all my info? Have you people read all the permissions? Doesn't it trouble you? Am I being paranoid? If so, why?

I'm about ready to take my new Atrix 2 back, pay the $30 restocking fee, and go back to my antique Razr...thingy..whatever it is.

Thanks.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    If you root your phone, use an app called LBE Privacy Gaurd. You can choose which apps have which permissions....

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    The reason they disclose what it's "possible" is so that people such as yourself can decide not to use the app. Note that I said possible. Just because an app says that it's possible for them to monitor your call activity, it doesn't mean that they do. We live in a litigious society that requires companies to protect themselves by disclosing every possible thing. McDonald's has to put a warning on their coffee cups that the coffee may be hot because some idiot was too stupid to realize that hot coffee might actually hurt if you drop it on your lap.

On the other hand, perhaps they spend millions of dollars in staffing just to have someone monitor everyone's phone activity for some subversive counter measure to destroy life as we know it. But, not to worry....just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there aren't people out to get you.

edit: Disclaimer: Any sarcasm, implied or perceived, by this person is not intended to belittle any persons concerns (see, I don't want to get sued, either)
    Last edited by carl_h; 11-16-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    UltraDroid likes this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post

But, not to worry....just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there aren't people out to get you.
    The universe is a gun, and they're pointing it at me!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of the permissions, such as monitoring your phone calls, so you won't miss a call if you're fiddling with the settings in the weather app, or whatever?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDroid View Post
    The universe is a gun, and they're pointing it at me!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of the permissions, such as monitoring your phone calls, so you won't miss a call if you're fiddling with the settings in the weather app, or whatever?
    You are C O R R E C T sir! hehehe
    ManDroid likes this.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    The reason they disclose what it's "possible" is so that people such as yourself can decide not to use the app. Note that I said possible. Just because an app says that it's possible for them to monitor your call activity, it doesn't mean that they do. We live in a litigious society that requires companies to protect themselves by disclosing every possible thing. McDonald's has to put a warning on their coffee cups that the coffee may be hot because some idiot was too stupid to realize that hot coffee might actually hurt if you drop it on your lap.

On the other hand, perhaps they spend millions of dollars in staffing just to have someone monitor everyone's phone activity for some subversive counter measure to destroy life as we know it. But, not to worry....just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there aren't people out to get you.

edit: Disclaimer: Any sarcasm, implied or perceived, by this person is not intended to belittle any persons concerns (see, I don't want to get sued, either)

I like it Carl - I *like* it!!

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    But, not to worry....just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there aren't people out to get you.
    After I posted my initial question I went and did some Googley Woogley and found several articles which addressed the issue, confirming for me that despite my paranoia, everyone was, indeed, out to get me. But seriously folks, if the developers didn't really need these accesses in their apps, why would they have them?

Why has Google kept this thing so wide open? My guess is they just chose the "more (apps) is better" strategy to rapidly increase market share against Apple.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    After I posted my initial question I went and did some Googley Woogley and found several articles which addressed the issue, confirming for me that despite my paranoia, everyone was, indeed, out to get me. But seriously folks, if the developers didn't really need these accesses in their apps, why would they have them?

Why has Google kept this thing so wide open? My guess is they just chose the "more (apps) is better" strategy to rapidly increase market share against Apple.
    LOL. It'll be ok. Google looks through your emails for keywords and bases the ads off of what you type. Unless someone is gonna go all John Conner "off the grid," it ain't hard to find out what you're doing...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Why are there unmarked black cars coming up my driveway with guys in suits and guns?

Unfortunately if you have spent any time on the internet, especially if you purchase things online your info is permanently public. What I hate is that so many services I use seem to get hacked. Like steam a week or so ago.

I was also a lucky individual who had my information stored on a government laptop that was stolen. Why my info was on a laptop for a unit I hadn't served with is beyond me, but shows how portable and transferable everything is.

It is a risk of our ever increasing digital world that our info will go to people we don't want to have it.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Just get Life-Lock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads