Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What's So Great About The ATRIX 2?

This is a discussion on What's So Great About The ATRIX 2? within the Motorola Atrix 2 forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; If my Atrix 1 has 16GB of memory and 4G support (when AT&T finally gets the backhaul into my market) and the Atrix 2 has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What's So Great About The ATRIX 2?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

What's So Great About The ATRIX 2?

If my Atrix 1 has 16GB of memory and 4G support (when AT&T finally gets the backhaul into my market) and the Atrix 2 has only 8GB of memory and no 4G support, then what's so great about the Atrix 2???

Don't tell me about the improved camera because my Atrix 1 takes great pics and video. I took a short video and plugged it into my 60" HDTV, and it looks great!

I'm confused?

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    For current Atrix 4G owners? Nothing, really. Like you said, the A2 has less internal storage, plus there's the lack of a fingerprint scanner (which is important to some people) and the improved camera really isn't a deal-maker (the Blur camera on the A4G is pretty good, and cameras like Camera Zoom FX or the MIUI or Droid 3 ones can easily substitute for the crappy one in CM7).

For someone who doesn't own either, however, the choice is obvious: the A2 is here and current, while the A4G is going the way of the dinosaur, victim of the never-ending product turnaround cycle.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Yea, I agree. I wouldn't recommend upgrading from A1 to A2. But for someone that just came into the market when the A2 was released, it was a good phone for only $100 on contract.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Both phones are "4g" but not LTE as far as I know.

Sent from my rooted and unlocked MB860.

Member #
    Twitter
    Auxilium1
    Liked
    90 times
    Performance is nearly identical in terms of benchmarks scores, I think the Atrix 4G has more to offer then the Atrix 2. They should of kept the Atrix 2 on hold till they could break new ground again, the Atrix was huge when it was released but they settled for a mediocre update to the Atrix 2.

As for someone who just comes in to the market, I actually don't know. If you're looking to use just the phone by itself without any modding then the Atrix 2 is the way to go. But you can get the original Atrix for less money, and it has quite a bit of developer support including CM7, CM9 in the works and MIUI which is also in the works. But I would think that the Atrix 2 has a good chance of getting ICS eventually, but will be blurred to death by Motorola.

Both phones are 4G and not LTE like jetmech said but the original Atrix is HSPA+ at 14.4 Mbit/s while the Atrix 2 is HSPA+ at 21Mbit/s, so it's noticeably faster in terms of Network speed.
    Last edited by Auxilium; 12-29-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Currently Running:
    White Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - Stock ICS
    Atrix 4G - Dorian's RedPill (CM7) Hybrid.
    Nexus S - CyanogenMod 9
    Xperia Arc S
    - Stock ICS

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    I agree with MJ and Sam here.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Aux brings a good point too from a hackers stand point (I didn't even think of that because I actually haven't considered the A2) the A1 is much better and even cheaper. Motorola definitely released the A2 too soon, with not much behind it. And in combination with the bootloader being unlocked on the A1 just before the A2 was released, developers stuck with going from pROMs to ROMs on the A1 rather than working on the A2.

Ramble ramble
    And, I <3 my biometric scanner.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    For someone who doesn't own either, however, the choice is obvious: the A2 is here and current, while the A4G is going the way of the dinosaur, victim of the never-ending product turnaround cycle.
    IMHO, any phone that doesn't have 4G will "go the way of the dinosaur." Do you really think that people will be looking to buy a non-4G phone two years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by Auxilium View Post
    I think the Atrix 4G has more to offer then the Atrix 2.
    But I must disagree. How can half the memory and no 4G support be "more"?

It's just my opinion, but I think the original Atrix 4G is a much better phone than the non-4G Atrix 2.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Just to be fair, the AT&T site doesn't help. There are alot of non-4G phones in their so-called 4G list.

Cell Phones & Mobile Devices - from AT&T

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    IMHO, any phone that doesn't have 4G will "go the way of the dinosaur." Do you really think that people will be looking to buy a non-4G phone two years from now?
    Probably not, unless "true" 4G phones cost significantly more than those that are not (in which case, the non-4G phones will be attractive to people who want a good phone at a lower cost). Since AT&T's 4G is still in its infancy, however, it'll probably be at least two years before it's a factor. Until then, any AT&T phone with "true" 4G support is going to be no better than the Atrix 4G and Atrix 2 if it's used in an area without 4G (which is most places right now).

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    But I must disagree. How can half the memory and no 4G support be "more"?

It's just my opinion, but I think the original Atrix 4G is a much better phone than the non-4G Atrix 2.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that's what his "I think the Atrix 4G has more to offer then the Atrix 2" meant.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads