Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A2 official 2.3.6 update

This is a discussion on A2 official 2.3.6 update within the Motorola Atrix 2 forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; Hi all! Today an OTA of 2.3.6 was publicly released for the A2. Although it's not ICS, or even 2.3.7, it's still much more stable ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cogeary
  • 1 Post By A2_4_me

Thread: A2 official 2.3.6 update

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times

A2 official 2.3.6 update

Hi all!

Today an OTA of 2.3.6 was publicly released for the A2. Although it's not ICS, or even 2.3.7, it's still much more stable and faster. Here's some of the details:
    -Much improved camera app! (The original was pretty faulty)
    -Enhanced keyboard
    -More AT&T bloatware! This time it's relatively useful (visual voicemail, and SMS/MMS syncing to the cloud) but the app seems to still have a lot of rough spots and it isn't very configurable.
    -Improved Hotspot and Webtop
    -Fixes to any problems with haptic feedback (although the strength is much reduced)
    -Call ending does not lag! (as much)
    -FINALLY fixes problems with apps on SDCard! (UNCONFIRMED)
    -Uses MUCH less RAM
    For all the details check out this link.
    • To apply the update, go to Settings->About Phone->System update and it should prompt you to update. Make sure you're connected to wifi and then hit "OK".
    • If you have heavily modified your phone then you should flash the fxz first, then update.
    • Also, although the A2 has the ability to uninstall most bloatware without rooting, the update requires that ALL BLOATWARE MUST BE INSTALLED. This is because the update file just contains a bunch of patches, which will fail if the file to be patched is gone. Even though you can uninstall most of the bloatware, the update contains updates for them which fails if you uninstalled them. If you uninstalled any bloatware then you will have to flash the fxz first.
    • Both 2.3.6 and 2.3.4 can be rooted using the same exploit. Look here for more info. If you are currently rooted, you do not have to unroot before updating. The OTA will remove root which you can easily regain.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by cogeary; 03-04-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    das8nt and UltraDroid like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cogeary View Post
    Hi all!

Today an OTA of 2.3.6 was publicly released for the A2. Although it's not ICS, or even 2.3.7, it's still much more stable and faster. Here's some of the details:
    -Much improved camera app! (The original was pretty faulty)
    -Enhanced keyboard
    -Possibly the first AT&T bloatware to ever be useful, with visual voicemail and ---Syncing of texts/calls to the cloud
    -Improved Hotspot and Webtop
    -Fixes to any problems with haptic feedback (although the strength is much reduced)
    -Call ending does not lag! (as much)
    -FINALLY fixes problems with apps on SDCard! (UNCONFIRMED)
    -Uses MUCH less RAM
    For all the details check out this link.

At the moment no one has discovered a root protocol for our version of 2.3.6... i.e. it can't be rooted. I personally have tried flashing/reflashing the fxz, updating, and trying different exploits, all of which have failed. I doubt that we will find a way to root this any time soon. However, the devs at XDA are working hard at implementing 2.3.6 with root in their ROMs. (The latest Supercharged ROM is based off of 2.3.6!) If you want to have your device rooted with 2.3.6 and you're currently on 2.3.5 (rooted), follow these instructions:
    With a root explorer, navigate to /system/bin/ and edit the mount_ext3.sh file. If you used a 1-click root method, then add the following lines to the end of the file (if you manually rooted then you might want to omit the 1st/2nd line):
    Code:
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    To apply the update, go to Settings->About Phone->System update and it should prompt you to update. Make sure you're connected to wifi and then hit "OK". If you have heavily modified your phone then I suggest that you flash the fxz first, then root it, then apply the hack above, then update. Also, although the A2 has the ability to uninstall most bloatware without rooting, the update requires that ALL BLOATWARE MUST BE INSTALLED. This is because the update file just contains a bunch of patches, which will fail if the file to be patched is gone. Even though you can uninstall most of the bloatware, the update contains updates for them which fails if you uninstalled them. If you uninstalled any bloatware then you will have to flash the fxz first.

NOTE: once you apply the update you will NEVER be able to flash the 2.3.5 fxz! You need to replace some files first! To flash the fxz, follow these instructions.

Enjoy!
    Once I have located the the mount_ext3.sh file using a root browser. How do I go about adding these lines. I rooted using the manual method suggested by jimbridgman in XDA for me..here is the link..[HOWTO] Root the Atrix 2 - Page 22 - xda-developers I am the member called Antigravityrx...I am using jrummy's ROM toolbox and the root browser included therein..when I long press it gives me the option to open the mount_ext3.sh file in note pad, when I do I see a whole bunch of code. Do I add he last line of your code to this file and save? Detailed instructions would be appreciated a lot..thank you for all your assistance. You Android devs on these forums are awesome and really helpful. Awaiting your response..

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigravityrx View Post
    Once I have located the the mount_ext3.sh file using a root browser. How do I go about adding these lines. I rooted using the manual method suggested by jimbridgman in XDA for me..here is the link..[HOWTO] Root the Atrix 2 - Page 22 - xda-developers I am the member called Antigravityrx...I am using jrummy's ROM toolbox and the root browser included therein..when I long press it gives me the option to open the mount_ext3.sh file in note pad, when I do I see a whole bunch of code. Do I add he last line of your code to this file and save? Detailed instructions would be appreciated a lot..thank you for all your assistance. You Android devs on these forums are awesome and really helpful. Awaiting your response..
    Hello, and welcome to the forums!

You have to be very careful when modifying files like this. Some text editors you can use will use weird line endings that will mess up the files (mostly Windows text editors). I tried using ES File Explorer's notepad and I got a bootloop. Then I used adb push/pull and edited it with Notepad++ on Windows and it worked fine.

People have experienced good results with the notepad that comes with Root Explorer (a paid app.) However I've installed the OTA 3-4 times now, and root is a necessity for me, so I've written myself a batch file that will back up the current mount_ext3 file and then push the correct file (that will let you keep root through an OTA).

Here's a zip with all you need: mount_ext3.zip
    Just unzip it somewhere, connect your phone to your PC, and double-click "runme.bat"

Good luck!
    Last edited by cogeary; 02-07-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hello, and welcome to the forums!

You have to be very careful when modifying files like this. Some text editors you can use will use weird line endings that will mess up the files (mostly Windows text editors). I tried using ES File Explorer's notepad and I got a bootloop. Then I used adb push/pull and edited it with Notepad++ on Windows and it worked fine.

People have experienced good results with the notepad that comes with Root Explorer (a paid app.) However I've installed the OTA 3-4 times now, and root is a necessity for me, so I've written myself a batch file that will back up the current mount_ext3 file and then push the correct file (that will let you keep root through an OTA).

Here's a zip with all you need: mount_ext3.zip
    Just unzip it somewhere, connect your phone to your PC, and double-click "runme.bat"

Good luck!
    Very nice, thank you sir!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    This post can be deleted now
    Last edited by A2_4_me; 02-19-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2_4_me View Post
    Just wanted to update this thread re: the rooting process

2.3.6 can now be rooted and you don't have to modify any system files as described above

Install the OTA and upgrade your phone to 2.3.6
    Download the 2.3.6 root zip from HERE
    Make sure you have the right drivers installed then connect your phone to your PC.
    Unzip the file and then double-click "Click-To-Root.bat".

When you click that file it will run the exploit then reboot your phone, do not close the window even after the phone reboots. Once it reboots it will then push su and superuser to your phone and reboot again. Very important that you don't reboot until you get confirmation in that window that the process is done. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the update! For reference, this is the most up-to-date root thread.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for the update! For reference, this is the most up-to-date root thread.
    Name:  funny-celebrity-pictures-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  24.5 KB

I will edit my post accordingly
    cogeary likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I also noticed that it ends calls much quicker now.

Remove Ads

Ads