Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Signal Questions

This is a discussion on Signal Questions within the Motorola Atrix 2 forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; I have horrible 4g signal in my house. Is there a way to switch to 3g or EDGE because I have tried the apps on ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Signal Questions

I have horrible 4g signal in my house. Is there a way to switch to 3g or EDGE because I have tried the apps on Google play but all they do is turn off mobile internet. sometimes my phone will switch itself to EDGE and I will have 3 bars. But it would rather keep itself on 1 to no bars 4g. My phone is rooted if that helps. Thank you

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    I am pretty sure that you would have to load a custom ROM for that option. And even then, I don't think that is a positive route. 4G service is 3G service with a 4G label. It is an upgrade to older 3G technology, mostly on the tower side to provide more data to more users. EDGE is just really bad for data. The highest speed you are likely to see on it is worse than dial up in most areas. You could get an MCell from AT&T for $150 plus a monthly fee. It uses your home internet connection to spread 3G/4G throughout your house. It is a really poor option. You can also purchase cell phone signal repeaters for about the same price. An antenna mounts on the outside of the house, and connects to a small booster in the house which gives you a better signal in the house. Either option is rather expensive, unless you go really cheap on the cell repeater side. But on that note, you get what you pay for. It might not work well at all.

I promise you, even on a sparsely populated cell tower, you don't want to be on EDGE.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Yes, it is possible to do this if you modify a couple files. Here's a link on how to do it.

However, I agree with grenefroggie. You do NOT want to always be on EDGE. In the long run, something like a signal repeater will be much more useful than turning off 3G/4G.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    I have come to realize over the last few months....I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE ATRIX 2.

Good to see cogeary that there is a "solution" for it. I guess I need to read more.

Honestly catpotato, if you can invest the money in to a signal repeater (or even better, an MCell) then I would go for it. You will have better results with the repeater/MCell and less stress and hair pulling.

Remove Ads

Ads