Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

This is a discussion on AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update within the Motorola Atrix 2 forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; Originally Posted by raysaun[\quote I updated my phone last night. After the update it went into some kind of update of the media lists and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raysaun[\quote
    I updated my phone last night. After the update it went into some kind of update of the media lists and stayed that way all night. I removed the battery this morning, put it back and then powered it on. It came up ok. Everything seemed to work ok, however I suddenly noticed my battery draining at a high rate. I plugged it in to my computer USB to charge and noticed that the battery continued to drain even though it was charging. I next looked at the battery stuff in Settings and found that "Media" was using 64%, Screen 29%, Phone and System and Cell standby 2% each. I then went to Apps and found a running app called "Media". It has 2 services: MtpService and MediaScannerService. I stopped both of them and the app went away. Problem is, when I powered down and up again, the app came back. Does anybody know anything about these services and how to keep them from coming back?
    My best bet as to why it froze after the update is because some media on your phone - music, video, image, etc - was either corrupt or incompatible with the update, and the "Media Scanner" doesn't know what to do with it. The Media Scanner detects media on your phone's storage and supplies to to other apps, such as the gallery or music player.Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to factory reset (delete all user-installed apps and configuration). Check out the Q&A in the first post.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cogeary View Post
    My best bet as to why it froze after the update is because some media on your phone - music, video, image, etc - was either corrupt or incompatible with the update, and the "Media Scanner" doesn't know what to do with it. The Media Scanner detects media on your phone's storage and supplies to to other apps, such as the gallery or music player.Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to factory reset (delete all user-installed apps and configuration). Check out the Q&A in the first post.
    I guess that may be the cause of my battery problem since the Media service "Media Scanner Service seems to be the one that is using the battery capacity. A factory reset is not a good option. Have to figure something else to do.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is there anything that should be done before updating that would be useful/helpful in making sure nothing goes wrong e.g. delete email accounts, apps or perhaps removing SD card before updating? Maybe an FDR is best to get a clean install? I am stock unrooted 2.3.6

I am extremely bummed about the FM raido being removed…I use it every day! I also have the TuneIn Radio app but you can't listen to MLB games on the local station. Anyone recommend a good FM app that doesn't kill battery and allows regular programming?

Edit - sorry, I missed Cogeary's note in the OP about the FM radio...
    Last edited by mtnRun; 10-12-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Missed Info

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    And now I get a message that Earthlink email app has to be downloaded ( prefer over Googlemail) , but I don't know where to find it /it was put on the phone when I bought it at the store. ( solved this email issue/found a new icon that just needed to be moved to my home page and deleted the older email widget-geez.

AND my Avast firewall says not working, message say this feature requires root access as it is not possible to realize meaningful firewall features without root access"- so what does that mean? Still haven;t figured out what to do about this??
    Last edited by DobeLady; 10-11-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: new info found

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re: AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

Quote Originally Posted by mtnRun View Post
    I am extremely bummed about the FM raido being removed…I use it every day!
    Removed or just split out of music player ? There is now a standalone app called "FM Radio". Not very fancy but it does have presets.

Sent from my Atrix2 using Tapatalk 2.
    cogeary and mtnRun like this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raysaun View Post
    I guess that may be the cause of my battery problem since the Media service "Media Scanner Service seems to be the one that is using the battery capacity. A factory reset is not a good option. Have to figure something else to do.
    Hm... try this:
    -Uninstall any apps you don't immediately need, especially if they deal with media (such as ringtone apps). Reboot.
    -Delete any junk media on you sdcard or move it to your computer. Reboot.
    -Try following the second set of instructions here.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Did my upgrade late last night, no probs so far (after staying up way too late exploring). Keyboard buttons seem smaller, annoying. Screen seems more vivid- real or imagined?

Looking forward to tryng out all the new stuff!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    This looks sweet, guys. Congrats!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re: AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Did my upgrade late last night, no probs so far (after staying up way too late exploring). Keyboard buttons seem smaller, annoying. Screen seems more vivid- real or imagined?

Looking forward to tryng out all the new stuff!
    One of the benefits of the ICS upgrade is better graphics rendering by utilizing the GPU for some tasks that were performed by the CPU on gingerbread.

~Robert

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 2 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You guys have me scared to install, I have downloaded it but........... should I wait till the battery problem and media stuff is hashed out before trying ? I dont mind doing a factory restart but I'm a newbie and don't want to render my phone useless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads