Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

This is a discussion on AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update within the Motorola Atrix 2 forums, part of the Motorola Atrix 2 Forum category; Hi everyone! Yesterday, Motorola began rolling out the long-awaited ICS OTA for the AT&T Atrix 2. This update contains countless major performance improvements as well ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times

AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

Hi everyone!

Yesterday, Motorola began rolling out the long-awaited ICS OTA for the AT&T Atrix 2. This update contains countless major performance improvements as well as a completely overhauled UI. Here's some more info:
    • App enhancements:
      • Enhanced Email
      • Enhanced Camera, new features include time-lapse video and snapshot while recording video
      • Enhanced voice input engine (improved dictation and Voice Actions)
      • "Contacts" app is now "People" app... larger pictures and integrates social networking posts such as Google+ or Facebook
      • Keyboard has faster input and improved error correction and word suggestion
      • All apps updated
    • Webtop redesigned:
      • The old Ubuntu-based Webtop has been replaced with a completely new interface. It is now a tablet-like experience.
    • New features:
      • New lockscreen! "Slide" lockscreen is now a circle that can launch the dialer, text messaging, camera, or unlock. Face Unllock has also been added; your phone can recognize your face from the front-facing camera and unlock only if it's you.
      • Easy, root free screenshot function! Hold power+volume down to take a screenshot.
      • Motorola Smartactions app:
        • Automates routine, everyday tasks... i.e. "mute all sounds from 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM" or "if battery < percent, then dim screen, turn off wifi, airplane mode on, etc" or "automatically text Bob at ", etc
      • FAR too many features to list. Some quick research on new features from GB to ICS can give you more information.
    • UI ENHANCEMENTS:
      • The UI has been completely overhauled. Many remnants of the old "Motoblur" UI has been removed, with a much more "vanilla" ICS UI in place. Some enhancements include...
      • New animations, icons, fonts, etc, for a much smoother look and feel
      • Enhanced lockscreen
      • Redesigned homescreen app
      • Easy folder management from homescreen
      • Pull-down notification bar has a dedicated "Settings" button. You can swipe a notification left or right to remove it, rather than pressing a "-" button.
      • Reorganized Settings app
      • Overall system theme is more darkish and blueish... looks much sleeker in general
    • Other notes:
      • Flash player is no longer preloaded due to Adobe's discontinuation of Flash development! Existing Flash installations may or may not work.
      • The FM radio function is still available; it just isn't built in to the Music app. It can be accessed from the "FM Radio" app.
      • There IS a known root method for this OTA, and ROMs are released/being developed for this update; however...
      • It is NOT possible to downgrade to GB after upgrading to ICS... and DO NOT attempt to flash an FXZ (See the fxz thread, you will HARDBRICK)! This means that:
        • Make sure you are OK with all of the different features that this OTA has to offer, including iffy Flash support and the new Webtop
        • If you root your phone after applying this update, and then get into a softbrick, there is NO WAY OUT (yet). You have been warned.
    Here is some more information about the update... from Moto... from AT&T.

To install:
    • It's recommended that your battery is over 50% before you install the OTA
    • Make sure that you are connected to a wifi network
    • You can not install the update if you are rooted or modified in any way. A factory reset does NOT unroot you. The recommended way to return to stock, from where you can install the OTA, is to flash the fxz.
    • If your phone has not automatically notified you about a new update, go to Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates. Once you see the popup dialog about the new OTA, choose to download it. Once it is downloaded, choose to install it. Your phone should reboot and begin to install the update.
    Q&A:
    • Q: What does "OTA" even mean?
    • A: OTA stands for "Over the Air." This just means that the update is downloaded from the Motorola's servers and then installed directly from your phone.

• Q: I really want ICS, but feature X is missing and I really need it...
    • A: The best thing to do is take a look at videos, forum threads, etc about ICS updates for the A2 and other Moto phones like the Droid Bionic, Droid Razr, etc. You might be tempted into intsalling it ... or you might discover that although that feature is missing, there is a similar function that does what you need... Etc. As time progresses more hacks will be released for the ICS update, most likely including bringing back the old Webtop, so you might just have to wait a little while...

• Q: I installed the update, it rebooted, and no it's frozen on "Updating Media Database"
    • A: You will have to remove the battery cover and pull the battery. Wait at least 5 seconds before placing the battery back in. You should be able to boot up into ICS now. You will probably notice that your battery is draining at an incredibly fast rate, and will not charge. You must now perform a Factory Reset. Before you reboot, choose to "Wipe cache partition." Unfortunately, this will remove all apps and settings/data... sorry, it is inconvenient, but it's the only remedy.

• Q: I have never rooted my A2, but the update is failing to install.
    • A: Please try searching for your issue, and then post a thread about it or reply with your problem here. If you can boot back into Android, do so; otherwise, pull the battery to stop it from draining.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by cogeary; 10-12-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    das8nt, nalomo, UltraDroid and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Nice work Cogeary!
    cogeary likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy help :'(

K so I did the update,and it worked fine for 10mins til it killed my battery. The update finished was plating around when battery died. and now my phone won't turn on, all I get is the bright white led light, sometimes ita solid other times it blinks, I left it alone for 2hpurs and it still won't turn on... What should I do :'( I was sooo happy to finally get the update.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by casez23 View Post
    K so I did the update,and it worked fine for 10mins til it killed my battery. The update finished was plating around when battery died. and now my phone won't turn on, all I get is the bright white led light, sometimes ita solid other times it blinks, I left it alone for 2hpurs and it still won't turn on... What should I do :'( I was sooo happy to finally get the update.
    sorry forgot to include that I e tried a number of times to reboot the phone and I get no response at all. I feel like it fried my phones insides and sorry about spelling errors my touch on my old phone is sucky.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

sorry forgot to include that I e tried a number of times to reboot the phone and I get no response at all. I feel like it fried my phones insides and sorry about spelling errors my touch on my old phone is sucky.
    Are you plugging in to the wall charger, USB to PC, or have you tried both?

If you've already tried both then try taking out the battery, plug the phone into the wall charger and then quickly reinsert the battery.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: AT&T Atrix 2 Official ICS Update

I just updated, it made me really like my phone again. I noticed after the update how everything was running smoother. I also only made one mistake typing this message due to the new keyboard. Normally every other word is wrong. I also set up the facial recognition to test it out. The ui is a bit more simple than I expected but I think I will get used to it.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello all,

I currently have been able to upgrade to ICS but am not able to because my phone WILL NOT connect to Wi-fi. The update has been fixed to only be updated/downloaded via wifi. My wifi has been dead/'wifi error' for about the past two months. I have done research with it and there are quite a but of people with the same issue. I was wondering if anyone with this issue has been able to upgrade to ICS and, if ICS for Atrix 2 will ever be available online to download"?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robx View Post
    Hello all,

I currently have been able to upgrade to ICS but am not able to because my phone WILL NOT connect to Wi-fi. The update has been fixed to only be updated/downloaded via wifi. My wifi has been dead/'wifi error' for about the past two months. I have done research with it and there are quite a but of people with the same issue. I was wondering if anyone with this issue has been able to upgrade to ICS and, if ICS for Atrix 2 will ever be available online to download"?
    I suggest contacting AT&T technical support.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I updated my phone last night. After the update it went into some kind of update of the media lists and stayed that way all night. I removed the battery this morning, put it back and then powered it on. It came up ok. Everything seemed to work ok, however I suddenly noticed my battery draining at a high rate. I plugged it in to my computer USB to charge and noticed that the battery continued to drain even though it was charging. I next looked at the battery stuff in Settings and found that "Media" was using 64%, Screen 29%, Phone and System and Cell standby 2% each. I then went to Apps and found a running app called "Media". It has 2 services: MtpService and MediaScannerService. I stopped both of them and the app went away. Problem is, when I powered down and up again, the app came back. Does anybody know anything about these services and how to keep them from coming back?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Unhappy The only downside

The only downside I've seen since updating from Gingerbread to ICS is the removal of the FM Radio in Motorola's music app. That's a shame. Thankfully there are a handful of free FM apps in the playstore that allow you to still use a nice hidden feature of the phone - it's built-in FM radio. Otherwise, splendid. Easy to upgrade. Up & running in under 15 mins.
    cogeary likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads