Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

LapDock without Tethering Plan

This is a discussion on LapDock without Tethering Plan within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Mini Review/Info on the Lapdock. Haven't gotten a chance to play with it as much as I would like, but thought I'd pass along some ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Mini Review/Info on the Lapdock. Haven't gotten a chance to play with it as much as I would like, but thought I'd pass along some info about it.

The BAD: The price. A little slower than a laptop or even just our phone for that matter. I assume it because of the info being sent from the phone to the lapdock that causes a minor slow down. I ran Angry Birds full screen(I just had to) and I notice some video choppiness. Not enough to take away from the game though. If you are in the market for a lapdock and this is a concern, I would recommend test driving one at an authorized AT&T store near you. Those are my only complaints.

Everything Else: Huge eight hour battery. I haven't tested the actual length of the battery. However, I just love how I can play on the Lapdock then unplug the phone and my phone is more charged than before I started.

Notification bar is obviously wider. Displays all the settings,Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi,etc on the right. Bright if it's enabled and greyed out if it's disabled. Other notifications on the left side. Clicking on the bar will automatically bring up the Mobile View window with the notifications open.

Cut, Copy & Paste works so much better and easier than just on our phone. The same keyboard shortcuts in MS Windows works on the Lapdock. Cut(Ctrl+X), Copy(Ctrl+C) and Paste(Ctrl+V) makes Cut, Copy and Pasting much easier. BTW within Firefox, Up and Down arrows scrolls the webpage and the 'Backspace' goes to your previous webpage(Back button).

If you don't like the Touchpad, it can be turned off. My USB Mouse was recognized almost instantly without installing any drivers.

The lower Dock shortcut items: Mobile View, Contacts, Dialer, Messages, Entertainment Center, File Manager, Motorola Webtop zone, Firefox, Facebook. Websites and Web Apps can be added. I've added 'Atrix Forums' of course. Haven't done any Web Apps yet.

On the Lower left corner a button that allows you to view all running 'windows' on the Lapdock. Kinda like the 'Alt+Tab' command on a Windows computer.

The Mobile View windows shows tabs for all the 'windows' you have opened on your phone. The Mobile View also contains the four buttons on your phone (Settings, Home, Back, Search). Also has Full Screen and Rotate (Landscape or Portrait views).

The LapDock's Firefox bookmarks sync with the phone's default browser bookmarks.

Feel free to ask any questions.
    Last edited by ROCer; 06-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.
    "There's no 'i' in Phone"

Atrix(Retired) - ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Asus Transformer Infinity

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Glad I could suggest something that helped!

Nice review, by the way!

Sent via rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hope it all works out for you (and the AT&T rep too for that matter). Im still grandfathered in on the old-fashioned (and soon-to-be-throttled) unlimited data plan. Dropping my limit and adding tethering is my only option according to "my guy".
    At first, when I found this out, I was pissed. But then .. .. most phone apps, including browser, still work outside WiFi and w/o tethering so .. .. 99% covered. Video, either from HD on phone/SD, or phone-based player for USB files are covered so .. .. .. the other 99% is covered too. OK, phone browser aint no Firefox webapp but .. ..
    I also figured that most (probably 99%?) of the time I'm going to be lapdocking is at home (wifi enabled, thank you), in the airport (birthplace of "free wifi") or at the hotel on a trip (wifi=portage=bellboy's tip) so I decided not to return the lapdock.

These observations are for comparison only. Your logic may vary.

My real questions about my lapdock are these:
    - Do any of the 3rd party tethering "apps" get around the direct connect "gotcha" of the lapdock?
    - Does anyone know how, other than copying to phone/SD, how to play a movie from a USB stick on the lapdock HD Media app?
    - Clicked on the "Webtop Apps" link at the bottom of the page? A LOT of what I'm finding seems to be cloud-based apps for iPhone/iPad! What's up with that?
    - Where's my full-sized HDMI-Out port?

I guess in order to maintain form, I should ask these in an original post.
    Silly Rabbit! Atrix are for Kids!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    You guys might try getting a wireless mouse. better than the touchpad. I am using a Logitech m570 trackball and it works much better. Faster action and precise. I also pair it with a Logitech keyboard when I use the HD Dock. I also use my lapdock at home with wireless 95% of the time. No tethering plan needed.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pgarne01 View Post
    Hope it all works out for you (and the AT&T rep too for that matter). Im still grandfathered in on the old-fashioned (and soon-to-be-throttled) unlimited data plan. Dropping my limit and adding tethering is my only option according to "my guy".
    At first, when I found this out, I was pissed. But then .. .. most phone apps, including browser, still work outside WiFi and w/o tethering so .. .. 99% covered. Video, either from HD on phone/SD, or phone-based player for USB files are covered so .. .. .. the other 99% is covered too. OK, phone browser aint no Firefox webapp but .. ..
    I also figured that most (probably 99%?) of the time I'm going to be lapdocking is at home (wifi enabled, thank you), in the airport (birthplace of "free wifi") or at the hotel on a trip (wifi=portage=bellboy's tip) so I decided not to return the lapdock.

These observations are for comparison only. Your logic may vary.

My real questions about my lapdock are these:
    - Do any of the 3rd party tethering "apps" get around the direct connect "gotcha" of the lapdock?
    - Does anyone know how, other than copying to phone/SD, how to play a movie from a USB stick on the lapdock HD Media app?
    - Clicked on the "Webtop Apps" link at the bottom of the page? A LOT of what I'm finding seems to be cloud-based apps for iPhone/iPad! What's up with that?
    - Where's my full-sized HDMI-Out port?

I guess in order to maintain form, I should ask these in an original post.
    The method mention in Post 11 of 'Lost Ability to Free tether' thread', of works for me. I was able to use Firefox without WiFi after doing it. Needless to say, WiFi is faster so it's just a backup plan if no WiFi is available.

I haven't tried running a movie from a USB memory stick. However, the file explorer app within the Webtop recongizes USB memory stick. In fact I use the Lapdock with that app to back up my atrix files (pictures, QuickOffice docs, Titanium Backup files, etc) onto a memory stick. Maybe a movie file can be played through it.

The HD Multimedia Dock has the HDMI output.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    FYI -

I'm not sure what thumb drives all have U3 but I have a sandisk 32G cruzer thumb drive and it can run almost any program. I did come across another proprietary program that does the same thing (portableapps dotcom) if you don't have U3. Including using VLC and a movie directly off the thumb drive while just using power from the USB port. While monitoring the CPU usage on a normal laptop it did use a little bit more CPU resources to run the movie. Probably bc it's sending data back and forth from VLC and the video file from the thumb drive to the CPU and screen. Either way you can now run everything you could on a normal laptop, especially if you are smart enough to use virtual drive (e.g. deamon) to run CDs images. Open office is perfect just as long as you remember to save as a windows office file before your email to a client/boss/teacher etc so they can view it, otherwise it defaults to the open office format.

I'm looking for a 2.3.4 version of this

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Hello Stewbuntu, welcome to the Atrix forums. I have used the Portable Apps before. It's pretty handy.

Thanks for including the Tethering video. I'll try it out.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hi there Stewbuntu and welcome aboard to Atrix Forums! We're delighted that you chose to join our forum.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    have to ask what about for us north of the border......S.O.L.......

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dillfever View Post
    have to ask what about for us north of the border......S.O.L.......
    Try Barnacle WiFi Tether for Mobile hotspot. Doesn't work on the LapDock though.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads