Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

LapDock without Tethering Plan

This is a discussion on LapDock without Tethering Plan within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; My wife surprised me by giving me a LapDock for my birthday. It's the Refurbished($175) version, but looks brand new. When I finally picked up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times

LapDock without Tethering Plan

My wife surprised me by giving me a LapDock for my birthday. It's the Refurbished($175) version, but looks brand new. When I finally picked up my jaw the first thing that came to my mind was the Tethering plan. Bottom line was if I had to pay tethering charges I wasn't going to keep it.

Chatted with an AT&T rep online and I wanted to forward the info to this forum. He verified that there is no charges when I'm staying within WiFi(and/or not downloading any data for that matter). When using the AT&T Data, there is no charge if you stay within your monthly limit. I'll let you guys know if I get any tethering or any other charges on my next AT&T bill.

Here's a Copy & Paste of my chat session with AT&T(my name and phone number was edited):

-Welcome to AT&T Chat. My name is 'Demetrice Anderson' and Iíll be happy to assist you today.
    Me: If you are using the atrix lapdock while connected to wifi is there a charge?
    Demetrice Anderson: When you are connected to Wi-Fi, your data plan is not in use.
    Me: so I just got the lapdock for my birthday. As long as I use it while on a wifi network there are no additional charges
    Me: what are the charges when you are not on a wifi network
    Me: do I have to have a tethering plan in order to keep the lapdock
    Demetrice Anderson: When you are not connected to Wi-Fi, the data is deducted from your 2 GB data plan for line xxxx.
    Me: Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.
    Me: I appreciate your help.
    Demetrice Anderson: Absolutely. Did you have any additional questions Mr. Petitt?
    Me: I don't think so. I don't have to change plans with the lapdock and if I use it not on wifi it will be deducted from my 2gb plan that I already have.
    Demetrice Anderson: That's correct, if there are no additional questions, we value you as a customer with AT&T and we appreciate your business. Thank you for visiting AT&T Live Support Chat. It has been my pleasure to assist you today, please click the close button to end your session. A customer satisfaction survey will automatically appear and we appreciate your feedback.
    -Chat session has been terminated by the chat representative.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.
    "There's no 'i' in Phone"

Atrix(Retired) - ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Asus Transformer Infinity

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    I guess ill be the first on the forum to say this...happy birthday dude...also i always go by motto..."what AT&T dont know cant hurt them." If they dont know im using a laptop dock i wont inform them. U will be fine, i think they only stick u with tethering fees if u buy it from them...as long as they dont know about it go wild dude, make ur wife regret giving it to u when u spend all ur free time using it lol.

Lol ur in NY, from what i read u dont get service there anyways...they cant charge u for something u cant use.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I was wondering this EXACT thing myself, so thanks for posting this! My netbook recently died and I bought a much larger replacement laptop, so now I'm wondering about something smaller to use to take notes etc when i go to grad school this fall. Was wondering whether I could get a refurbished/third party seller lapdock and use it just for word, wifi etc w/o telling ATT about it or getting the stupid tethering plan.

Looks like I can! Gracias again :]

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    So far, that's what it sounds like. I'll feel much better once I receive an AT&T bill after having it for more than a month.

I hope it will be good for note taking like you mentioned. Ironically, I was thinking about getting an office app such as QuickOffice, Documents2Go, etc before I had a Lapdock. Now I'm definitely more interest. Hopefully an Office app plays when with the Lapdock.

I'll let you know.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Happy belated, ROCer!

Have you tried to use Firefox while on mobile data yet? It should pop up with a warning.

Sent via rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Thanks for the B'day wishes!

You're right, Das8nt! This whole time I was WiFi. Turned off WiFi for the first time. A message came up that told me that I don't have the correct data plan. Either turn on WiFi or call AT&T(with the number) to get the correct Data plan. Wish I tried that before my first post on this to avoid any confusion.

I was a little disappoint, but I think I'm going to keep it anyway. Figure it will get some use on my deck, at coffee shops, hotels, etc. I'm just looking at as a lower cost version of a WiFi only Tablet.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Yeah, sorry, I was afraid that CS Rep wasn't fully correct in what they were saying. It's still very cool to have and can be very useful, especially since it's just the Firefox browser that you can't use on data, and Wifi let's you do it all. The phone's browser still works inside the Mobile View window.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    A message came up that told me that I don't have the correct data plan. Either turn on WiFi or call AT&T(with the number) to get the correct Data plan. Wish I tried that before my first post on this to avoid any confusion.
    I too, do not have a data plan, so I am watching this thread carefully. Getting the lapdock is tempting as well, but would like to hear some first hand accounts and not by professional reviewers.

Just to clarify, when you pop open the browser with firefox with Wi-Fi, it works fine, right?
    But once, you turn off Wi-Fi, the browser stops receiving and sending data. And hence, the browser doesnt work, right?
    Were you able to get internet access once you turned Wi-Fi back on?

- U

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    .... The phone's browser still works inside the Mobile View window.
    You made my day Das8nt! I tried running Dolphin HD in the Mobile View window(full screen) with the WiFi off and it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by useful View Post
    I too, do not have a data plan, so I am watching this thread carefully. Getting the lapdock is tempting as well, but would like to hear some first hand accounts and not by professional reviewers.

Just to clarify, when you pop open the browser with firefox with Wi-Fi, it works fine, right?
    But once, you turn off Wi-Fi, the browser stops receiving and sending data. And hence, the browser doesnt work, right?
    Were you able to get internet access once you turned Wi-Fi back on?

- U
    Yes, Yes and Yes. You are correct U. Just tried it to verify it.

When you said you don't have a Data Plan were you referring to tethering? As Das8nt mentioned above, if you have a Data plan then you can still use the browser within your phone View window. In order to use the Lapdock's firefox. You'll need either WiFi or the Tethering Plan.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Thats great news! Certainly confirms me buying the lapdock when prices drop.

When you said you don't have a Data Plan were you referring to tethering?
    Brrr.... When I referred to a data plan, I meant, Im not paying a carrier for any kind of data service. like AT&T's DataPlus plan or T-Mobiles 4G Web service.
    I guess to me, tethering is also a data plan.

A few years ago, I use to tether an old china phone and used it as a cell data modem, so I could plug the phone from the usb port into a laptop. Then use the internet connection from the phone
    and surf on my laptop. This was tethering originally back a few years ago. The ability to use the phone as a kind of internet modem that connects to a laptop/desktop to get access to the internet.

With a normal data plan, I do not see how you can not use your phone as a tether.

- U

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads