Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Vehicle Dock with GPS

This is a discussion on Vehicle Dock with GPS within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I was wondering if anyone has used the vehicle dock. Does the cord work well? Does it connect to your car stereo, does it charge ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vehicle Dock with GPS

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Vehicle Dock with GPS

I was wondering if anyone has used the vehicle dock. Does the cord work well? Does it connect to your car stereo, does it charge your phone using 12V car charger, and most important does the GPS require cell service? I.E. can you use it out in the middle of no where like a normal GPS just using satellites?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davidvignes View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has used the vehicle dock. Does the cord work well? Does it connect to your car stereo, does it charge your phone using 12V car charger, and most important does the GPS require cell service? I.E. can you use it out in the middle of no where like a normal GPS just using satellites?
    I have not used the car dock yet, but I was told that it comes with the charging cable and a headphone jack patch cable to plug it into a head unit with the receiver jack in case your car doesn't have bluetooth audio connectivity. I haven't confirmed any of that yet, though.

I do know that the Nav functions do require data service to a point to be able to download the maps as you go. The maps are not stored on your phone like a standalone GPS unit (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) Sections of maps are downloaded and as you start to move out of that area then the next section is downloaded, but there is no major cache of maps stored.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available. If you try it once, you will die.
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    I do know that the Nav functions do require data service to a point to be able to download the maps as you go. The maps are not stored on your phone like a standalone GPS unit (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) Sections of maps are downloaded and as you start to move out of that area then the next section is downloaded, but there is no major cache of maps stored.
    Thats just silly. You can have a 32gb card in there and that would be PLENTY of space to go across county even... :sigh:
    iPhone -> iPhone 3 -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 -> Atrix.

Anyone looking for a like new Panasonic ToughBook laptop?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The car dock is fantastic. It charges as soon as it's docked and will bring up car mode. Large icons for apps like maps are customizable. I was able to do a text by voice only having to hit the send button after and holding the search button first of course. I have Slacker as one of the apps on that page and it will run in the background when using it for nav. There is an aux cable as well to go into your audio input in the car. I don't have an input but I've used it through the bt and fm transmitter on a Jabra car kit. It also has an insert for use without a case and with the insert in you can use some cases. I don't use a case so I haven't tested with one.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I would also like to sing the car dock's praises. Mine just came in the mail yesterday from Amazon, and luckily I was going for a long drive somewhere. I got to try out all sorts of cool functions. First of all, the Nav is awesome - I starred an address in Google Maps on my computer, and was able to easily choose it from my phone. The compass always keeps the map oriented so the map is moving in the same direction you are. I drove through an area with less than stellar phone service without a hiccup as well - the map moves slowly enough that downloading and displaying new sections is not an issue. I really like how the roads around you are labeled and that re-routing is fairly quick and seamless. For being in beta, I'd say it's better than a lot of stand-alone GPS units. Just think, your maps will never be out of date.

The voice commands are very impressive - my car has built in bluetooth so I can use that for calling, but I actually managed to send a couple text messages all via voice command. It worked surprisingly well. You can launch web pages, apps, music... all by voice. Google's voice recognition is impressive, provided you speak loud and clearly.

One thing that annoys me - at least until someone tells me I'm doing it wrong - is that you can't change some of the pre-chosen buttons in car dock mode. I believe stock music, my location, voice commands and something else are chosen for you and you can't change them. That leaves just two customizable buttons on the home screen, which I changed to navigation and Pandora. There is a second page with 6 customizable buttons - I used stuff like my email, My Tracks, Yelp, etc....

Anyway, I'm probably just not trying hard enough.

Member #
    I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available. If you try it once, you will die.
    Liked
    68 times
    Sounds pretty decent.. My truck has built in Nav and my wifes car has a Garmin... But This would be useful for me if I was riding along with someone else.. Thanks for the report guys!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Nice! Thanks for the reviews. Now all it needs in a built in radar detector... lol maybe someday.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davidvignes View Post
    Nice! Thanks for the reviews. Now all it needs in a built in radar detector... lol maybe someday.
    :whisper: Hey... :nudge: might not wanna mention detectors in front of some...

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    :whisper: Hey... :nudge: might not wanna mention detectors in front of some...
    haha yeah I mean a radar um like a Doppler radar um you know like for weather.... In case the rain is coming... lol
    fcturbo2 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Hahahahah

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads