Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Who else is planning to get the Atrix Laptop Dock

This is a discussion on Who else is planning to get the Atrix Laptop Dock within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; But the Android OS has been tweaked a bit when docked (webtop) to allow full apps like the Firefox full browser, so hopefully they've added ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    But the Android OS has been tweaked a bit when docked (webtop) to allow full apps like the Firefox full browser, so hopefully they've added other support for things moving closer to a full laptop experience. Guess we'll see...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Who cares who else is getting the dock. Get the Atrix when it comes out. As they say, it is world's most powerful phone. It has a big HD screen,which probably makes it the best screen....Apple eat your heart out... it's powerful, it's fast and it's an android....IT'S NOT WINDOWS! Just as long as it doesn't overheat with those 2 processors in there.
    I am so looking forward to getting it. I have been researching phones for years always looking for the best and I think this is the one. Of course there will always be something coming out better and better...but I think for now...1st half of 2011 this is the phone to have.
    And for a change.....we in Canada get to experience the new technology first! What a treat instead of having to wait a year or so for it to be released in Canada/Bell. I am on the waiting list and hopefully will be one of the very first to have the new Atrix

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    I'm on the fence as well about the laptop dock only in regards to the functionality of it. So we have an interface for the phone: check. Firefox browsing: check. Then what??? I would have to see it in production to make a decision to get it. I wouldn't mind getting one since I think it has compatibility with Microsoft Office sort of. If that's the case, I'd probably get one so that I can use it for homework.

PLUS.. I think the ability to surf the net on the laptop dock w/out having some kind of connect card would be VERY nice. Just plug in the phone and use the existing data connectivity.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The only reason, I would purchase the ATRIX is because of the laptop docking device. And of course the phone with all it's great features.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am hoping the laptop dock will come with some Citrix surprise application integrations to justify the cost. If not it's a joke since it just output's it display and creates a virtual desktop.. In a few months every phone will be doing this since the Citrix HDS agent works on a number of phone OS's (I'm just starting to do research) and seems to allow for numerous possibilities for 3rd party remote application (or desktop) services (aka VDI).

Or I'm way off and thinking to far into the future..

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Are you referring to the Citrix Receiver that's built into the Webtop application which is available when docked? Or are you talking about something more advanced?

Sent from my Preclair Backflip using Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    depends on what hoops I will have to jump through to get the laptop dock with the phone when I upgrade my existing contract with Bell. I am not giving up my unlimited plan to pay more for less. So if tat is my only option than count the laptop out for me.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    There's no way I'm buying the laptop dock at this price point. I realize that they're making a push for it, but $499 is more than many standalone netbooks and I do not want to buy a tethering plan. It's all very cost prohibitive to me - not that I can't afford it, but that it doesn't seem worth the money at this point.

I'm waiting - either it'll drop in price, or I'll realize I can do without it. Or I'll just dock it to my own monitor. OR - and I realize this may be unlikely, perhaps a third party laptop dock could make an appearance?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    das8nt,

I was talking about the Citrix Receiver, you should be able to direct it to your own company (or if your a IT guy.. you special setup) and run a full desktop.. So the Atrix becomes a thin client laptop (VDI) and you've now turned your special desktop (at home) into a desktop (or multiple) for the atrix and still run other things you want on it.. I will spend more time on this once the phone is out and I deside to buy it..

I still rather have the HD dock vs laptop since I don't tend to walk around with a laptop all day (or just to play). I rather just plug it into my existing keyboard and monitor once I got home or to my livingroom TV. Unless they come out with a touchscreen (like my HP Touchscreen tm2) I'm not sure I'd be doing a dock.

Now.. If I was a company trying to move to VDI (maybe sales with highly mobile employee's and I pay the cell bill already) for everyone I would try this device to consolidate costs...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I saw the laptop doc today in the store & it's tiny! So not worth more than $100/150!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads