Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

cardock and the atrix

This is a discussion on cardock and the atrix within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; i read somewhere here where someone prefers there atrix navigation to there garmin gps which got me thinking maybe i will get a car dock.i ...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

cardock and the atrix

i read somewhere here where someone prefers there atrix navigation to there garmin gps which got me thinking maybe i will get a car dock.i started playing with the cardock app on my atrix to see how it compares,my question is,does the atrix talk to you say like a garmin.like turn right in 200metres etc so you can get the right lane etc.if it does how do you get it to work,or is there an app im better to put on my phone for this.or perhaps a app that is better than the phones own gps.regards john

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Yes, Google Navigator (part of the Google Maps app) works just like a standalone GPS in that it provides voice navigation to tell you when to turn, how far to go, etc. It sometimes mangles the pronunciation of names, but I just find that to be part of its charm. I've used it quite a few times and it hasn't let me down yet.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    I agree Martin. I don't use it often, but when I do it works flawlessly. The pronunciation, I find amusing - try "Cuyahoga River". LOL!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    Good to know! I ordered a car dock from bell and it should he here this next week. I need to go to another city for a wedding reception in a few weeks and that place is like a maze. So ill be sure to use the Google nav.

Tapa'd while chewing a Gobstopper!
    ~Luke

Nottachtrix 2.0 with UbunTopLX

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Every navigation app I've used has trouble with with certain words, or just says some things in odd way. Keeps it interesting.........

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    Yes, Google Navigator (part of the Google Maps app) works just like a standalone GPS in that it provides voice navigation to tell you when to turn, how far to go, etc. It sometimes mangles the pronunciation of names, but I just find that to be part of its charm. I've used it quite a few times and it hasn't let me down yet.
    I think the mangling of names has a lot to do with the TTS engine: SVOX generally seems to be better about this than PicoTTS while IVONA TTS (beta) pronounces "Tuscaloosa", Alabama as "Tusk-a-low-asa" instead of "Tusk-a-loo-suh". I actually get amused at this one.
    Some of the mangling has to do with abbreviations that Google Maps uses (i.e. "Ave I" is pronounced "Ah-vay eye" instead of "Avenue I" and "Ave S" is pronounced "Ah-vay South" instead of "Avenue Ess" and "E J Oliver Blvd" is prononunced "East J Oliver Boulevard"). SVOX has overrides that will correct some of these where you can say "Ave"="Avenue", but then if you ever run upon a street named "Ave Maria Blvd", it will probably pronounce it "Avenue Maria Boulevard."

I imagine the Garmin's mispronounce things as well, so I'm only going off my experience with Google Navigation Beta. Google Navigation does NOT do lane guidance, though.
    Hiram

Remove Ads

Ads