Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Get the car dock or not?

This is a discussion on Get the car dock or not? within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I got the car dock today, and it's great. The navigation is incredible and accurate. I love it. Should come in handy for when I ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Get the car dock or not?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I got the car dock today, and it's great. The navigation is incredible and accurate. I love it. Should come in handy for when I go to Rock on the Range later this month to Ohio

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I got my dock today, waiting in a Garmin Nuvi, motorcycle mount that is supposed to work with the dock. (I will report in it)

I got the Body Glove case to work with it!

I held it in place to see where the top clamp comes down on it, marked the clamp with chalk then pressed it onto the case for my guide (it left a thin white line) I took the case back off & broke out my Dremil tool with cutting disk and cut out a very thin section where I had just marked. I reinstalled the case and it works flawlessly!

There is only a very thin notch cut out below the volume control that looks as if it should be there.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I gave my dock it's first real workout - we went over to the Gulf for a famdambly get together Saturday and then up to Galveston for a relaxing weekend.

#1 - the dock can't charge as fast as the location services sucks it down.
    #2 - In spite of #1 I had 15% left at end of very long day
    #3 - You can't use the cable that comes with the dock to charge - it *has* to be plugged into the dock, Atrix mounted in dock. Plugging the cable directly into the Atrix won't work. Weird.
    #4 - it gets HOT!!! My battery monitor app reported temp of 138 degrees. It's the phone - not the window, I took it out of window and put on front of dash and it was still smokin hot.

Not sure why Motorola plays games with cables & docks. They all seem to be wired such that they have to be used as "intended". Seems dumb to have a cable that you can't just plug into the phone to charge using the wall adapter. More crap to lug around. You have to exit the Car dock app and shut it down before it will charge at a reasonable rate - and that is still slower than the wall adapter plug/charger. I can't explain it but it's slow.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Interesting observations. I just ordered one from Amazon last night and it should be here tomorrow. Sounds crappy about the cables... especially since it sounds like it APPEARS to be a standard micro-USB connector on the end.
    Last edited by hwlester; 05-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Got the car dock and am extremely pleased with it. I bought the Motorola branded one from Amazon so that I got all of the accessories. My wife just rolled her eyes when she saw it mounted on the windshield. "How many more gadgets are you going to put in this car?"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I got the car dock and the otter box defender case. Can't use the dock without taking off the case, which is a pain. Are there mini-usb extenders I could use to make the dock's usb a little "longer"?
    Last edited by JohnnyBolanos; 05-31-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Have not run across any yet!

Sent from my moto Atrix using Tapatalk!
    Magic is real -- unless declared integer.
    - sayings of Wiz Zumwalt

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Ill play devils advocate here, and say no.

The car dock mounts onto the interior glass and/or under the rear view mirror and/or on the upper dash.

If by chance you accidently leave it in the car on a hot day, its gonna heat up the phone, thats a killer on our electronics!
    And, if the suction cup isnt mounted correctly, the phone can crash and break if it hits from 3 feet up!!
    Don't forget car crashes too!

Also, theres a lot of thieves out there, which makes it a prime target for theft.
    In an ideal world, Id have no problem leaving it in the car.

Just something to think about.

- U

p.s. Its unlikely any of this would happen, but theres always that 1% chance

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by useful View Post
    And, if the suction cup isnt mounted correctly, the phone can crash and break if it hits from 3 feet up!!
    I've had my car dock come off the window a couple of times in the heat. Fortunately it's been when I wasn't in the car, so the phone wasn't in the dock. I think it's probably because my windshield is dirty...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    #1 - the dock can't charge as fast as the location services sucks it down.
    Exactly the same here.

Although I did some testing with my 40 min commute to/from work. It seems that if you just select "My Location" from the car dock menu and just let GPS track your location on the Google Map and view traffic...the phone will not loose charge and will be charged if under 100%.

However, if you use the actual Google Navigation app with turn-by-turn voice directions the charger cannot keep up with the rate that the phone is draining the battery. At the end of my 40 min commute I had lost 8-10% battery life using Google Navigation. And yes the heat on the back of the phone is more than I'm comfortable with.

I'm using the Atrix Car Dock and dual-usb charger.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads