Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Get the car dock or not?

This is a discussion on Get the car dock or not? within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I can upgrade in a few days and I'm going to get the atrix. I'm coming from an iPhone and I'm looking for a different ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Get the car dock or not?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Get the car dock or not?

I can upgrade in a few days and I'm going to get the atrix. I'm coming from an iPhone and I'm looking for a different experience and from the research I've done, this is what I'm looking for.

The accessories look awesome, specifically the car dock. I'm looking at the car dock because I spend at least an hour and a half a day in my car and I text and talk on the phone a lot for work during that time. I'm not sure, but I've also heard that this can be used as a GPS which would be great too.

The cheapest I've seen them for is on amazon for $55 including a micro-usb car charger since the dock doesn't come with one (which is stupid) and I can't decide if it's worth it or not, especially since it doesn't seem to work with a case (I'm just getting a clear hard case from ebay). If all it's really good for is hands free texting, then I think I'd rather just save my cash, but if the features are really that cool I would get it.

Someone else suggested bypassing the dock and getting a separte bluetooth FM transmitter for handsfree calling and texting, then using a universal car mount and a CarHome app which is a little more money but it would let me access music which I couldn't do with the Atrix vehicle dock because I don't have an aux input.

As you can tell, I'm pretty confused about which way I should go. Anyone have an experience with either option that has some input. Thanks a lot and glad to be here.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I'd definitely say its worth it if your an avid driver. Now I'm just a kid, and don't have my permit yet...let alone a commute, but I definitely would consider that dock if I did. I saw a lot of neat stuff made for it..and from my experience voice texting is pretty superb (because of second microphone for noise cancellation?).

HOWEVER! I would buy the Atrix and wait until your 30 day trial is up in case you don't like it and you can return it for free. I am a little on the fence still, buggy/slow at times. Hopefully I get an update soon. But personally, I would hate to return my phone and be stuck with a $55 dock, or keep a phone I don't like for the $55 dock.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    First, the dock DOES come with a charger adapter...it has 2 USB sockets. I'm not sure where that started, but mine definitely came with one! Second, if you don't have an aux input, then yeah, you won't be able to use the music or streaming of the Atrix. Which is too bad, because it works great. Personally, I LOVE the navigation that auto-starts when in the car dock...Google's Nav app is much better than my stand-alone Garmin! It finds places that the Garmin says don't exist .

Whatever you decide to do, welcome to our community. We're glad you found us, and hope you enjoy your time here. There's a lot of help to be had with this group...take advantage!

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I have the Car Dock and the HD Multimedia Dock... I say YES on the Car Dock.
    "The best analogy I can tell you is; The Atrix is like a race car, it will take you a few days to customize it, but once you do, it's like nothing you've ever driven before." -FlexRated

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The adapter doesn't come in the dock from AT&T but it does with the one from Moto.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Yeah, my recently purchased vehicle dock didn't have the adapter either. I bought it from AT&T during a recent online 25% off sale. I found a cheap one with two lighter plugs and the USB at Wal-Mart for under $10.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdubs View Post
    I spend at least an hour and a half a day in my car and I text and talk on the phone a lot for work during that time.
    I don't want to sound like a prick, but being an older fart I feel it's my responsibility to ask... you're not texting while driving are you?

Please tech/text responsibly
    thekooliest and WERA689 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    While I agree completely, the voice to text feature is awesome.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    How do you use voice functions? I jsut got the dock the other day and I cant figure out how to search for places like in that video a member posted, nor can i figure out how to voice to text. I also get feedback when playing music. Goes with the rpm of my engine. this is in a 2008 gmc sierra.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    sveinn a lot of people are saying the noise comes with the cable being used, try another aux cable. I have no clue how to use the voice to text or anything, haven't really messed with it much. Usually I have kids in the car, so even if I could figure it out, I can't keep them quiet for the life of me so it would be all garbled anyway.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads