Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Webtop / Lapdock Official End of Life

This is a discussion on Webtop / Lapdock Official End of Life within the Motorola Atrix Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Well, this blows: Motorola confirms death of Webtop, laptop accessories | Mobile - CNET News Brief version: Motorola Mobility's Webtop concept, which enabled its phones ...

Member #
    Twitter
    stalematev6
    Liked
    109 times

Webtop / Lapdock Official End of Life

Well, this blows: Motorola confirms death of Webtop, laptop accessories | Mobile - CNET News

Brief version:

Motorola Mobility's Webtop concept, which enabled its phones to act as the brains of a laptop or television entertainment hub, has quietly been killed off, the company confirmed to CNET today.Webtop was software that allowed a Motorola smartphone, such as the Atrix 4G for AT&T, to be docked into a special laptop accessory and run with some computer functionality such as the browser. When it was unveiled, many had called it the future of mobile computing.
    Unfortunately, the execution wasn't so smooth and sales were disappointing. Motorola, a unit of Google, said today that adoption wasn't strong enough to justify devoting more resources to the project. Webtop will no longer appear on phones, starting with the Photon Q, Droid Razr M,Droid Razr HD, and Droid Razr Maxx HD.

Oh well, time to start planning my next project: Rikomagic MK802 Forums • View topic - MK802 Notebook!
    Android 4.4.2 Jelly Bean || Bell Mobility Samsung Note 3
    Epinter's CM 10.1 || Atrix 4G MB860

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Does that mean that we cannot use, e.g., Atrix HD as the processor between a bluetooth keyboard (which I use with great delite) and the HDMI input to my TV (waiting for the cable from Amazon)? I'm hoping it will be usable in that form. Not the same as the lapdock but has other advantages. --ken k

BUC
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kekinstl52 View Post
    Does that mean that we cannot use, e.g., Atrix HD as the processor between a bluetooth keyboard (which I use with great delite) and the HDMI input to my TV (waiting for the cable from Amazon)? I'm hoping it will be usable in that form. Not the same as the lapdock but has other advantages. --ken k
    The ASUS PadFone executed better the hybrid concept...

Sadly the new PadFone 2 (which I think is the most powerful phone right now) does not have the keyboard dock option like the first one did...

Still... the dynamic screen switching from Android for phones to Android for tablets with full touch screen enable is far more useful than webtop ever was...

Motorola never realized that in order to fully use the Android OS on a netbook-like device, you need full touch screen ability...

Also the design of the lapdocks was really disappointing... The phone plug or place behind the screen, serve for absolutely nothing... If they had place or connect the phone where there touchpad of the lapdock would go, they would have save money by using the same capacitive screen of the phone as mouse... and they could have even use the screen as a 2nd screen... notifications or whatever... But instead the placed it behind the screen, not even able to use the phone's front camera for video calls...
    when the phone was plugged, it only showed a giant clock with date... without any customization or any other practical use for the phone...

Webtop was a nice idea but now that I come to think of it... was HORRIBLE execution...
    Last edited by BUC; 10-23-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So, if I am understanding properly, a Lapdock 100 will work Fine with my New Atrix 2. However, if I update to ICS it will no longer function? I haven't received my phone yet, I am just trying to figure out alot of info at once. lol

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: Webtop / Lapdock Official End of Life

Quote Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
    So, if I am understanding properly, a Lapdock 100 will work Fine with my New Atrix 2. However, if I update to ICS it will no longer function? I haven't received my phone yet, I am just trying to figure out alot of info at once. lol
    Well, Webtop has changed in ICS for the Atrix 2, but it's still here. I'm actually typing this in the new Webtop from my ICS A2 with the Lapdock 100. When you launch WT is turns into a tablet-like experience instead of the old WT experience with the full Firefox browser. Some like it better and some prefer the old WT because of the full browser. This isn't too bad, but it makes you yearn for a full touchscreen.

Hope you enjoy your new A2!

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Remove Ads

Ads