Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Android Device Manager

This is a discussion on Android Device Manager within the Motorola Atrix Apps forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; The Setting I'm shopping with my wife, picking up some accessories for our Halloween costumes, and being in different sections of the store we're texting ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stalemate

Thread: Android Device Manager

Member #
    Twitter
    stalematev6
    Liked
    109 times

Android Device Manager

The Setting
    I'm shopping with my wife, picking up some accessories for our Halloween costumes, and being in different sections of the store we're texting back and forth to eventually meet up near the men's clothing section.

The Horror
    As I come out of the changing room with a bunch of pants that don't fit my manly girth (again), I realize that my beloved Atrix is not in my front pocket as it usually is. I inspect the booth, recheck my pants, check the floor, start retracing my steps and wondering why-oh-why it was that I hadn't set up a PIN or lock pattern on the home screen as soon as I was done installing CM 10.1. A cold sweat starts forming on my brow. My wife offers me her "support frown" which I take to mean "how could you be so dumb". "I'm not the one who backed up into a parked car last month," I think back, but stop that line of thinking as it will inevitably lead to even more tension and me probably having to buy some sort of botanical apology.

The Solution
    I'm a big fan of Cerberus*, and for the price it can't be beat, but under duress, the only solution that came to me was the Android Device Manager. I had recently read an article about this (relatively) new offering from Google, and this was the perfect time to put it to the test. Contrary to Cerberus, I did not need to have a licence, nor purchase, install, and authorize an app, since the ADM is free from Google. If you have a Google account and an Android device registered to it, you can already use it.

I borrowed my wife's HTC, brought up the webpage for Android Device Manager, pulled my MB860 from the dropdown list and chose to start the phone's ringing at full volume for 5 minutes. There are not many features: making the device ring, tracking its location, and if you authorize it beforehand, remote lock and/or wipe. But in 90% of the cases, this will be all you need.

Right after sending the ring command, I started going up and down the alleyways of the men's department. Eventually I heard the faint sound of my phone ringing and followed the audio trail to the customer service desk, where it had been placed in a drawer by a store clerk. I had apparently left it resting upon a stack of polo shirts - probably whilst juggling the aforementioned mislabelled pants.

Thanks were offered, handshakes given, tears wiped and I walked away with a smile on my face, in spite of my wife's persistent frown.

*https://www.cerberusapp.com/ - I manage 4 phones and a tablet with a single licence, and the added features like being able to send commands through text messages, or discreetly snapping a picture, make the purchase well worth it.
    Last edited by stalemate; 10-30-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: text fixed for clarity
    Condor97 likes this.
    Android 4.4.2 Jelly Bean || Bell Mobility Samsung Note 3
    Epinter's CM 10.1 || Atrix 4G MB860

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    LOL! Great story! I think I will have to look into this. I too am very familiar with "the frown", which is often times accompanied by the "eye roll".

Member #
    Twitter
    stalematev6
    Liked
    109 times
    The Dreaded Eye Roll™

.....*shiver
    Android 4.4.2 Jelly Bean || Bell Mobility Samsung Note 3
    Epinter's CM 10.1 || Atrix 4G MB860

Remove Ads

Ads