Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Advance Task Killer

This is a discussion on Advance Task Killer within the Motorola Atrix Apps forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; First post/thread! (combo FTW! ) I have many questions on this phone and am still getting used to it but one thing that worried me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advance Task Killer

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Advance Task Killer

First post/thread! (combo FTW! )
    I have many questions on this phone and am still getting used to it but one thing that worried me a little bit is how the phone keeps so many apps open at the same time.

So i downloaded Advance Task Killer

My first question is
    why does the Atrix keep all the apps running? When you close an app shouldnt it...close???

should i even worry about having all the apps open?

and is it good to use this app (adv task killer)?

P.S. i switched over from a Crapberry Bold 9000

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fcturbo2 View Post
    First post/thread! (combo FTW! )
    I have many questions on this phone and am still getting used to it but one thing that worried me a little bit is how the phone keeps so many apps open at the same time.

So i downloaded Advance Task Killer

My first question is
    why does the Atrix keep all the apps running? When you close an app shouldnt it...close???

should i even worry about having all the apps open?

and is it good to use this app (adv task killer)?

P.S. i switched over from a Crapberry Bold 9000
    Hey, I also switched over from the Crapberry 9000... man, I hated that phone - other than the email support. It's at the point where the track ball must have something caught in there because I can no longer scroll down. So annoying. The Atrix is enormously better. My wife is super jealous with her iPhone 3GS.

Anyway - I was also concerned about all the apps that would remain open. It was definitely destroying my battery life. But the phone has a pretty good Task Manager built it, you can find it in the app tray. It's sort of like your PC's task manager, but with all the apps installed plus you can set any apps you want to close when the screen times out. So any non-essential app I set to close and now my battery life is great - definitely made a huge difference.

I'm sure task killer is probably better than the built-in task manager, but for me it isn't really necessary.
    fcturbo2 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Task killers are not needed. Android does a fine job of managing apps and freeing up resources on it's own. In fact using the auto kill on a task manager wastes alot more battery and resources than any app staying open. The only think task killers are good for is force closing unresponsive apps. But you can do that on your own in the settings menu.

Take a look at this thread on our sister forum: Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Effington and Garemlin for your replies,

@Effington
    Wow once i opened up task manager i was really impressed, especially with the auto-end list. I am now going to uninstall 'advance task killer' since it does almost the same thing and is a 3rd party software.

ya the trackball was the least of my worries on my crapberry, i had a lot of other glitches which required me to pull my battery almost every other day!

the one thing (the only thing really) i do miss from my crapberry is the EMAIL feature. i set up all my emails so easily and right now i cannot setup my work email for some reason...

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Yeah, I'm in consulting and I was able to run both my company's Outlook mail and a client's Lotus Notes mail via BES all to the same device in addition to Gmail.

Other than that, it was crap. 128MB for apps? It was warning me daily of low disc space even though I had like 5 apps installed - not that there was very good app support for Blackberry. You gotta have fun. Now I'm having some trouble with my corporate email though the corporate sync....

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hey, how did you set your apps to close when the screen times out?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Add them to the auto-end list in your Task Manager
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Yup. You don't need a 3rd party task manager of any type. The built in Android task/app manager is all you'll ever need. I've not used a task manager since the "early days" using my A855. Never used one on the Atrix. The Android built in manager is great. Android will normally take care of any task management.
    -joe-
    -Geek, Hack, Early Adopter-
    "The Cake Is a Lie..."

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    Add them to the auto-end list in your Task Manager
    Care to elaborate? I can't find that setting heh heh which shouldn't surprise most of you lol.
    Don't Play Stupid with me...........
    It's a game you can't win!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    When in Task Manager, click the check box to the left of the name of the program, when you do, the option to "add to auto-end list" will be there, or just "end apps" and of course a "cancel" button. The "auto-end" will shut anything down when you turn off the screen, or navigate away from the app. So certain things you might not want to add, if you need to keep your place. But I'm sure many apps could be added to that list to get you some better battery life!
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads