Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Best Option for HotSpot?

This is a discussion on Best Option for HotSpot? within the Motorola Atrix Apps forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I just got my Atrix on Tuesday and joined this site on Wednesday. It's a whole new world compared to my prior phone -- a ...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Best Option for HotSpot?

I just got my Atrix on Tuesday and joined this site on Wednesday. It's a whole new world compared to my prior phone -- a Nokia E71, which was quite nice in its day (one of the first phones to have WiFi support).

Anyway, I want my phone to serve as a hot spot (I did this with my Nokia with JoikuSpot software). Ideally, the phone would connect to the internet by 3G or 4G or Wireless, and other equipment (my laptop in particular) would be able to connect to it to use the internet. This latter connection would be wireless or USB or BlueTooth (BT).

I don't need all the above combinations, but need the hot spot function. You might ask about one of the configurations (laptop wireless to phone when the phone is wireless to the internet) -- this is probably not technically possible, but you might wonder why I wouldn't also connect the laptop to the same WAP that the phone connects to. The answer is that I am often in hotel rooms and they charge $15 per night for a wireless connect. I'd like to not pay for TWO devices, and I certainly don't want to pay AT&T *twice* for my data -- once for their plan and again for the data as I use it.

What is my best option? My phone has Gingerbread on it. Do I merely root it and install some application? Does the rooting process remove any applications I bought already?

I have looked through the forums to try to understand all of this but, frankly, it is scattered in pieces and I don't believe that I'm not getting the whole picture.

Many thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    That option might be outdated with the newest update.

Here's the most current method that I know of: [MOD] Enable Tethering on 4.5.91 - xda-developers

But, be aware of this: Tethering with Unlimited Plans beware!

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for your help. I have decided to defer rooting my phone as long as I can, and have installed EasyTether Pro. It requires that a USB connection from phone to PC -- not as good as wireless, but acceptable to me for now.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cjconrad View Post
    Thanks for your help. I have decided to defer rooting my phone as long as I can, and have installed EasyTether Pro. It requires that a USB connection from phone to PC -- not as good as wireless, but acceptable to me for now.
    I've been wirelessly tethering my phone to my laptop for about 6 weeks now, with no change in my data plan from at&t. I currently have a 2gb plan, so I don't have to worry about getting knocked down from an unlimited plan.

Realistically I don't see how at&t would have the capability to tell whether or not you're tethering your phone provided that you have removed the entitlement check in your system files.

I decided to take the risk and haven't had any problems. Hope that helps!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    rooted then installed barnacle wifi tether. everything took me under 10 minutes. i had to side load the barnacle app because at&t blocks you from seeing the app in the market place. i did have to update my laptop wifi drivers to get it to connect to the ad-hoc sent by the atrix, but worked fine without a hitch. also, can't seem to get a mac to connect to it, but don't really have a mac myself to continue figuring that out.

Remove Ads

Ads