Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

setCPU

This is a discussion on setCPU within the Motorola Atrix Apps forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I'm fairly surprised that there has not been a thread specific to setCPU already. I'm testing it out a bit and am curious with others' ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setCPU

Member #
    Liked
    87 times

setCPU

I'm fairly surprised that there has not been a thread specific to setCPU already.

I'm testing it out a bit and am curious with others' experience. For those that don't have it, root is required.

1) Are you on stock ROM/kernal?
    2) Have you tried undervolting (I believe the stock kernal does not support this)?
    3) What is your profile setup?
    4) Have you noticed better/worse battery/speed performance using the app?

I just have two profiles set currently - in call and screen off. Is there a way to set a profile for a specific app? I'd like to have a very minimal CPU set for screen off and then raise it if I'm playing music when the screen is off (Tunein, Poweramp, etc)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    1) no, custom ROM and Faux123 kernel
    2) no, I haven't
    3) only profile that I use is screen off where I limit it to 50%
    4) no change from what I've seen, but I'm not using it as I probably should

I'm not as concerned about battery life as many are. I'm never that far away from the ability to charge it, so I don't care as long as I'm getting >8 hours of use.

I would like to know more about setCPU, though. Hopefully, this thread will reveal some tips and secrets on its use.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    True I would love to see how people are setting up their profiles for conservative or maximum performance. Also the undervolting part of the app.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    I used setCPU on the Nexus One and it was awesome.
    I don't have all the same profiles setup yet, but I also lower the speed substantially when the screen is off.
    I also lower the top speed to around 800 MHz. Still plenty fast and it saves some juice.
    On the N1 I would progressively lower the CPU speed as the battery drained.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have my phone rooted, but my scaling is greyed out, now sure how to fix this.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bkz81 View Post
    I don't think this will change until we have a non-stock kernel that supports it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same is here. I've tried with different OC kernels, but i can't get it to work.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bkz81 View Post
    the main problem is that the frequency limit and profiles don't work with this grey scaling issue.
    You can set the limits and profiles, but the CPU will be not limited between these values.

so the only working thing in setcpu is undervolting at now

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sonaba View Post
    the main problem is that the frequency limit and profiles don't work with this grey scaling issue.
    You can set the limits and profiles, but the CPU will be not limited between these values.

so the only working thing in setcpu is undervolting at now
    That does not seem to be true. When I set a lower highest frequency, setCPU show the frequency topping out where I set it. Same on the bottom side.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerGoggles View Post
    That does not seem to be true. When I set a lower highest frequency, setCPU show the frequency topping out where I set it. Same on the bottom side.
    Try the following:Set maximum freq in setcpu to a lower value (around 900mhz)Open Firefox browser (or any similar heavy resource eater app) and then quickly press and hold down the home button to switch back to setcpu. You will see for a short time the cpu is working on maximum speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads