Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

So what's the best version of BusyBox ?

This is a discussion on So what's the best version of BusyBox ? within the Motorola Atrix Apps forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I use the Stericson installer and he updates the installer's version quite often. And I notice he frequently changes/updates the included busybox versions. All of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stericson

Thread: So what's the best version of BusyBox ?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

So what's the best version of BusyBox ?

I use the Stericson installer and he updates the installer's version quite often. And I notice he frequently changes/updates the included busybox versions. All of them seem to run fine and the main functions I need are included with each. I've tried v1.18.4, v1.18.5, v1.19.0, and v1.19.2 (that's the one I currently have installed). I think versions 1.18.5 and 1.19.2 are Stericson's custom-compiled ones. I'm just wondering if there's any appreciable advantage to one of them over the others ???

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    It's not actually the installer that's being updated, but the version of busybox itself. The installer allows you to download and install different versions at will. Each phone's file system is a little different and some phone's require different versions. Busybox is always being updated to accommodate new devices and new updates for old devices. As long as the currently installed version works for you then you don't need to worry about the rest.

sent from my MotoXoom via Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    It's not actually the installer that's being updated, but the version of busybox itself. The installer allows you to download and install different versions at will. Each phone's file system is a little different and some phone's require different versions. Busybox is always being updated to accommodate new devices and new updates for old devices. As long as the currently installed version works for you then you don't need to worry about the rest.
    Ah, so you mean this: Since in the past week (or so), the installer went from version 3.6.4 to 3.6.5 to 3.7.2 to 3.7.5 to 3.7.6 to 3.7.7 (the current one), each of those releases simply represents the inclusion of access to different/new/updated busybox builds? If not, I guess I'm confused.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Meh. Sorry. Lol! I have the JRummy one. I didn't realize Stericson does it the other way. Yes, his new installer versions are changing the versions he has included instead of just updating the Busybox behind the scenes and allowing in-app updates by the user. His latest change comments noted he added some applets as requested, though there's no telling which version they effected and what they were for. I've been happy with the JRummy one myself; no app updates in a while, but it let's you keep busybox updated in-app when you want.

Sorry for the confusion!

sent from my MotoXoom via Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Meh. Sorry. Lol! I have the JRummy one. I didn't realize Stericson does it the other way. Yes, his new installer versions are changing the versions he has included instead of just updating the Busybox behind the scenes and allowing in-app updates by the user. His latest change comments noted he added some applets as requested, though there's no telling which version they effected and what they were for. I've been happy with the JRummy one myself; no app updates in a while, but it let's you keep busybox updated in-app when you want.

Sorry for the confusion!
    No problem. I kind of wish Stericson would provide information on what's included and not included in each BusyBox release. Root Checker in advanced mode is a simple and quick way to see what's in my currently installed version. It'd just be kinda nice to see what the differences are between the offered releases. For a while nslookup wasn't working at all in v1.18.5, but he fixed it. In the end, I suppose the most important thing, as you've mentioned, is just installing a version that works and does all you need it to do

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I was looking at the applet groups included in the various versions of Stericson's BusyBox installer and I've noted quite a difference between them.There are, for example, a great number of applets not included in v1.19.2 (Stericson's) that exist in v1.18.4 (system). But, as it turns out, there are as well several applets included in v1.19.2 that are missing from v1.18.4.
    I guess you can't have everything

One of Stericson's goals seems to be to reduce total size of both the installer and the installed copies of BusyBox. He says that if someone needs any non-present applets to be included in his versions, they need only request that those applets be added and he'll do it. I've also noticed that most of his updater releases change with regard to their version numbers but that the offered BusyBox versions remain the same over several installer releases. So I'm unsure whether he's adding applets per request and leaving the BusyBox version numbers the same, or what.

I think the development version of 1.19.0 may have contained all (or most) of the available applets, but he has recently removed it from the updater and I didn't think to list its applets when I had it installed. I may be wrong about that but as I remember its applets list was quite large. Maybe I'll dig it out of my backup archives and take a look.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i thought i would chime in here and answer some of these questions....

a lot of the times when i update my Busybox installer application i am indeed updating the actual installer as well.Also the reason you see applets missing from the new ones, compared to the old ones, is because a lot of the applets in the old ones are simply just not needed so i am trying to get rid of the bulk and size down the size of the busybox binary i provide.

Also, the latest two Busybox binaries I provided, both of which jrummy has not provided yet, have better support for ipv6 and some other patches added in by the creator of titanium backup.

i also decided to handle updating my Busybox binaries via app for two reasons

1, you dont have to waste anytime downloading the busybox version you want to download, with mine you pick and install faster than it takes jrummy's to download one.

2, a lot of people like being notified when i update busybox, maintaining the binaries in the app allows me to provide this functionality. if yall have any questions or suggestions for my installer I am all ears
    ManDroid likes this.

Remove Ads

Ads