Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Square Credit Card Reader - Doesn't work on Atrix 4G?

This is a discussion on Square Credit Card Reader - Doesn't work on Atrix 4G? within the Motorola Atrix Apps forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Hey all, I picked up a Square Credit card reader at Target for $9.99 with a $10 credit from www.squareup.com to make it cost neutral ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Square Credit Card Reader - Doesn't work on Atrix 4G?

Hey all,

I picked up a Square Credit card reader at Target for $9.99 with a $10 credit from www.squareup.com to make it cost neutral (if you download their software in the Market they will send you a reader for free - Target=instant gratification). I figured I got a bad reader since a few hundred swipes of various cards just didn't work. The Square support site offers tutorials and tips for swiping credit cards and nothing at all worked. Before I asked for a new one, I figured I'd throw it on my Xoom and see what happens...works fine, every single time. Has anyone tried one of these? It's a simple way to accept credit cards on your phone (even if you're not retailing - it's a nice answer to "I'd love to split that bar bill with you but I don't have any cash...."

These plug into the headphone jack, and certain phones' design don't allow it to make contact, use a non-standard pinout, cases interfere, etc. I don't think it's a OS issue, but perhaps something with the design (for example, you can still see part of the headphone jack when it's completely plugged in).

Thanks in advance if anyone has tried this...

Chris

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    I would say ask the manufacturer or on the app support site they will know if it works/don't work with the Atrix.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix

Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    They have a short list of known devices that have issues, Atrix isn't listed but I will ask them. I'm guessing that they probably haven't encountered all of the myriad phones out there yet... Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    No problem bud, please let us know how it goes.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix

Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Let me know if you find a solution for this, I have a buddy with atrix whose has wanted to do the credit card reader for his small business

Sent from my Rooted 2.3.4 Atrix Using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Yes, please let us know if you get this worked out. This would be 'good' for my small business.

Where on the squareup site did you find the $10 credit? I can't locate it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Update: ManDroid confirmed that the Square App and credit card reading dongle do indeed work on Atrix - the issues I'm having are either hardware (headphone jack, etc.) or some software issue I've yet to trace down. After I bought my Square Reader retail (at Target, but I'm seeing them at Best Buy, Walmart for the same $9.99) I got a $10 credit code in the package, set up my account then redeemed the code. The $10 credit showed up in a day or so in my checking account (part of set up). They also sent me another reader (without me asking) in the mail which I received a couple of days later, so apparently if you buy retail you get two readers for free! Both readers work fine on my Xoom so I've definitely got a phone issue.

Square tech support is mostly non-existent - I posted on their Twitter support account and have yet to hear anything back - that seems to be their primary method of assisting you - no phone support at all as far as I can tell. They get slammed online a lot for that.

If you do sign up be sure to read all the terms and how it works - there are a lot of complaints regarding how long before money is credited to your account, different service fees for keying in a number vs swiping a card, etc. As far as I can tell nothing conflicts with what they say they will do; I think some people just don't like to read terms and conditions and prefer to just bitch

Anyway, cool idea, reasonable rates, just wish it would work on my particular phone!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    OK cool

Sent from my Rooted 2.3.4 Atrix Using Tapatalk

Ads