Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Evernote Application Review

This is a discussion on Evernote Application Review within the Motorola Atrix Apps forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Android Market Direct Link Overview You go through your daily life collecting information that, later on, you'll need to refer to. Problem is, the chances ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By stalemate

Thread: Evernote Application Review

Member #
    Twitter
    stalematev6
    Liked
    109 times

Evernote Application Review

Overview

You go through your daily life collecting information that, later on, you'll need to refer to. Problem is, the chances that you'll recollect that information at the time you actually need it are not guaranteed. This is where Evernote comes in. I'll cover the free features more so in this review.

Think of Evernote as an ever-ready note taker, that allows you a multitude of note-taking methods:
    • You can enter text, whether in list form or in freeform. Even tweets can be added.
    • Sound bites or voice notes can be added.
    • Images (where text can be recognized and extracted), and PDFs.
    • Flexibility of platform:
    • From a computer - PC, Mac or even a web interface with extensions or widgets available for the main browsers. This method also allows multiple views of the collected information.
    Name:  evernote_listview3.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  138.8 KB
    • Mobile - Android, obviously, but also iOS (including tablets for these two), Palm WebOS, Blackberry, Windows Mobile.
    Name:  Evernote1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  47.4 KB

Usage

Of course the Android version is the one that most appeals to me personally, but the added advantage of being able to reach my saved notes wherever I am, using a few clicks, is definitely a plus. Editing long notes on a portable device - despite convenient - can become tedious for longer documents. The availability of my notes, saved to the Evernote cloud, regardless of the tool I use, is what sells me on this service.

Tags are used to identify notes added to your account, and notebooks can separate your notes into topics as defined by your whim. If you fumble, don't worry. You can move notes from one Notebook to another.

The interface is as intuitive as are the basic steps to use the app:
    • Create notes (sound, text, images, etc.)
    • Tag notes to track them later
    • Manage Notebooks
    Usage Example 1

I play a MMO where I coordinate events on a given server. Using Evernote I can take planning notes, keep rough drafts of ongoing schedules or documents I need to share with fellow event organizers, and even include other articles of interest to a given activity (wiki articles, strategies, etc.).

Throughout the entire timeline of this activity I can use Evernote to keep track of any tidbits of information, take down any ideas for improvement as they occur to me, and have a list of volunteers to thank and even winners of any contests that may be have happened for when I need to publicly announce such.

Usage Example 2

My day-to-day life isn't all that hectic. I already use MS OneNote at work for organizing my thoughts and projects, but having something available "on the go" when I need it makes all the difference between remembering that important gift I intended to get for my wife, and spending a week in the doghouse.

The only effort on my part is to actually jot down said intention in Evernote using my Atrix, and then tagging it with cue words I can refer to later, say "anniversary", "doghouse", or even more personally relevant terms such as "cold shoulder prevention".

I can then refer to Evernote later on during my day (which has quickly become part of my routine, like checking my email has) and keep abreast of what I need to know.

I've also used Evernote to keep travel schedules, contact info, subway routes in cities where I was travelling. Basically, if you can think it, you can add it to Evernote for later reference.

Additional Tools

Since Evernote is a cloud-based solution, there are other tools that one could use to interact with the notes data we store, but I'll touch on these tow here because they're offered by Evernote directly, and also available for Android.

Evernote Widget - An even faster method of adding notes using your Android smartphone, this one allows direct note creation in it's smaller incarnation, while the larger one also offers a preview of the last snippets viewed. Oddly enough, you'd think these features would be readily available with the main app, but that's not the case. If you plan on using Evernote on your Android, get this widget so that Evernote truly becomes an intuitive note-taking tool.

Direct Link.

Skitch - I'm not using this one, personally, but that's only because I just learned of it's existence today. Take a snapshot. Edit or annotate it. Save it to your Evernote account. I can already see multiple uses for this.

Direct Link.
    Last edited by stalemate; 12-06-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    das8nt and acb like this.
    Android 4.4.2 Jelly Bean || Bell Mobility Samsung Note 3
    Epinter's CM 10.1 || Atrix 4G MB860

acb
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    This is a really well-done review.

Evernote is also one of my most-used apps. Really useful.

Member #
    Twitter
    stalematev6
    Liked
    109 times
    Thanks!

Another thing I've added to Evernote is the entire contents of my province's traffic laws. My son is taking driver's ed, and wifey and I have disagreed and what's acceptable and what's not, so now I carry this is backup.

It's proven me wrong as often as it has confirmed my thoughts, so in a nutshell: Evernote is preventing my getting (more) tickets.
    Android 4.4.2 Jelly Bean || Bell Mobility Samsung Note 3
    Epinter's CM 10.1 || Atrix 4G MB860

Remove Ads

Ads