Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[FAQ] "What is HSPA/HSPA+?" An answer, and maybe more!

This is a discussion on [FAQ] "What is HSPA/HSPA+?" An answer, and maybe more! within the Motorola Atrix FAQ forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I added my last little bit about HSPA. I will send Dorian a PM to take a look at it and see if I should ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    I added my last little bit about HSPA. I will send Dorian a PM to take a look at it and see if I should add anything. This answers the question beyond what most people are looking for. I will be making another FAQ about LTE by itself.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Thanks Dude! You da man!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    I added my last little bit about HSPA. I will send Dorian a PM to take a look at it and see if I should add anything. This answers the question beyond what most people are looking for. I will be making another FAQ about LTE by itself.
    It looks great to me!

On the EDGE section, AT&T doesn't deploy Evolved EDGE. Only the standard 236kbps service. The cost required to implement new transceiver software and get new devices on the network isn't feasible when looking at 3G/LTE futures. That's partly the reason AT&T will not progress beyond 21.1Mbps HSPA+. LTE offers more spectral efficiency for higher bandwidth services.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    LTE offers more spectral efficiency for higher bandwidth services.
    Raise your hand if you understood that part!! *raises hand*

Thanks Dorian for your input. In all honestly, it's kind of hard to mess up giving information about a standard. What is hard is putting the standard in to words people can understand. I actually used a lot of the information straight off the 3GPP and ETSI sites because you really couldn't put it more simple without writing a 5 post layman's breakdown.

On a side note, what really pisses me off is that so much b/w can be squeezed out of 700Mhz (damn licensed frequencies) but even with the gear on the market today for companies like mine, on a GOOD/SPECTACULAR day, you can only squeeze about 6Mbps out of 900Mhz. That's using Motorola gear with all clients connected at the highest possible modulation rate. Two reasons for that in my experience, three actually: It's unlicensed. The noise floor is terrible (because it's unlicensed). We couldn't afford the buy the gear if it was using it's own standard, the equipment would simply be too expensive.

Ok, I am done.

This should be good for a sticky if a mod deems it worthy. Please oh please don't let it fall down the unread ladder!!!

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    Raise your hand if you understood that part!! *raises hand*

Thanks Dorian for your input. In all honestly, it's kind of hard to mess up giving information about a standard. What is hard is putting the standard in to words people can understand. I actually used a lot of the information straight off the 3GPP and ETSI sites because you really couldn't put it more simple without writing a 5 post layman's breakdown.

On a side note, what really pisses me off is that so much b/w can be squeezed out of 700Mhz (damn licensed frequencies) but even with the gear on the market today for companies like mine, on a GOOD/SPECTACULAR day, you can only squeeze about 6Mbps out of 900Mhz. That's using Motorola gear with all clients connected at the highest possible modulation rate. Two reasons for that in my experience, three actually: It's unlicensed. The noise floor is terrible (because it's unlicensed). We couldn't afford the buy the gear if it was using it's own standard, the equipment would simply be too expensive.

Ok, I am done.

This should be good for a sticky if a mod deems it worthy. Please oh please don't let it fall down the unread ladder!!!
    NP! I can just comment on AT&T, and I'm 99% sure the same applies for T-Mobile except for the HSPA+ data rates.

And yes, I know what you mean. The network equipment that I used to work on is obscenely expensive. So expensive that it makes sense that only the major carriers have no issues with purchasing it. But for that price you get very awesome manufacturer support... they used to fly people out to Sweden/Germany/India for training and such with the support engineers. It was pretty awesome.

But yes, I agree. A lot of people buy the Atrix wondering just what the "4G" stands for and what kind of speeds they can pull down. I think you've done a great job of informing people about 3G/4G services!

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    You two make me want to go to school again :-P but honestly, anything that I'm not already familiar with interests me... If school wasn't so expensive I'd spend the rest of my life there... This thread gives me something to chew on. Thanks guys.

Tapped from Chris's OG Atrix running Dorian's hybrid!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Jetmech,

The three links at to bottom of my initial post should give you plenty to read over. However, while it is informative, when getting in to the specifications, it gets really technical. To be quite honest, when it comes to modulation techniques and types, I often have to refer to books I got from when I was in the USAF. And there is even stuff regarding modulation techniques and RF that isn't in those books so I have to use the wonderful resource that is Google to read up on it. However, 3GPP and ETSI are great resources for learning about mobile technology because either one of them either created or maintained the standards in use today.

Dorian, thanks for the kind words and the help!! It is handy having someone who knows the information (even if it is mostly in regards to ATT, as we are mostly ATT customers).

A4G
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is it possible to make Atrix 4G work good on T-Mobile? Through switching some parts or smth? Wanna try it.

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A4G View Post
    Is it possible to make Atrix 4G work good on T-Mobile? Through switching some parts or smth? Wanna try it.
    The Atrix 4G will work on T-Mobile, but you won't be able to use T-Mobile's 3G/4G until they get done refarming their 1900MHz spectrum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads