Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix 4G standby time specification

This is a discussion on Atrix 4G standby time specification within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Yes, I know this is a very old tired topic. But believe it or not, I have not been able to find the answers to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Atrix 4G standby time specification

Yes, I know this is a very old tired topic. But believe it or not, I have not been able to find the answers to two simple questions here or anywhere (including Motorola support). I am the second owner of an Atrix 4G and am trying to determine if the battery is failing.

1. Motorola specifies a standby time of 400 hours on GSM. If I have nothing running in the background (all Email and sync is set to manual) except system services that I cannot disable and with mobile data, WiFi and GPS off, set to maximum battery saving profile and with background data disabled, I am getting about 112 hours of standby from fully charged to zero. That is of course WAY less than specified, but I can find no information anywhere (I even called Motorola and asked three different support levels) that tells me under what conditions the standby time was tested. All I got were extremely vague generalizations. Does ANYONE know how to test standby time to determine if the battery is failing?

2. With nothing that I can control syncing in the background, max battery saver enabled, WiFi on but set to turn off when asleep, mobile data off, bluetooth on, GPS off, auto sync disabled and background data disabled, my battery drops at about 1%/hour under extremely light to no use. Is this a reasonable battery performance?

After they could not answer those questions, Motorola actually offered to send me a battery. I appreciate that and will of course see if it increases my standby time. But I was disappointed that they were not able to give me any more specific answers.

I'm really happy with the phone.... just trying to determine if I am getting realistic battery life. Seems like the standby time is a totally bogus specification that doesn't relate to any real world conditions that a user could reproduce??

Paul
    Last edited by pgoelz; 02-04-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Clarification

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks! I'm really liking my phone (bought it used). What I am trying to achieve is a smart phone when the screen is on and a dumb phone when the screen is off. I have no need for ANYTHING other than phone and text messaging running in the background when it is in my pocket. I think I have gone as far as I can go without rooting it, but without better information from either Motorola or other users I really don't know. I'm curious to see if a new battery improves the standby time, but from what have pieced together, my battery life is not that bad. Nothing like the specified standby time, but in line with other users?

Paul

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    All I got were extremely vague generalizations. Does ANYONE know how to test standby time to determine if the battery is failing?
    That's a good question. I wish I had a better answer for you. I'm fairly certain anyone who asks except for a techie will get nothing for an answer. The only way to do it would be to do tests yourself. I'm fairly certain the only people who could answer that question would probably the original R&D engineers who designed the atrix from schematics ground up.

With nothing that I can control syncing in the background, max battery saver enabled, WiFi on but set to turn off when asleep, mobile data off, bluetooth on, GPS off, auto sync disabled and background data disabled, my battery drops at about 1%/hour under extremely light to no use. Is this a reasonable battery performance?
    1% an hour, so guesstimating from just the info above. You'll be battery dead in 100 hours? That's 4.166 days, that's pretty good.

I'm pretty happy if im not battery dead in 24 hours. I've gotten good results on keeping the atrix battery from draining quickly by going directly into Airplane Mode. That turns off the antennas on the phone. By keeping them off, that means no power draining from those devices.

- U

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by useful View Post
    That's a good question. I wish I had a better answer for you. I'm fairly certain anyone who asks except for a techie will get nothing for an answer. The only way to do it would be to do tests yourself. I'm fairly certain the only people who could answer that question would probably the original R&D engineers who designed the atrix from schematics ground up.
    Which is a pretty sorry state of affairs if you ask me. Why in the world would anyone publish a provocative specification like that if there was A) no way the product could meet it and B) no available answer re: WHY the product could not meet it. I am FULLY aware of the issues surrounding a "standby time" specification. I am just amazed that an old line manufacturer of quality communications devices doesn't back it up better than that. A simple statement to the effect that 400 hours was the maximum under the following conditions would be sufficient. Or is everyone playing standby time one upsmanship?

1% an hour, so guesstimating from just the info above. You'll be battery dead in 100 hours? That's 4.166 days, that's pretty good.
    Yes, about 4 days if I do not use it at all. Light use cuts that down to about 3 days.... 2 days if I use it more frequently. For most of you, my "less than light" use is still probably pretty light, hence the longer battery life.

I use my phone primarily as a phone, and I also have a landline. I use the smartphone features infrequently, and do all that I can to keep anything from doing anything in the background when the phone is supposed to be sleeping (ie., screen off). It is to bad that Android doesn't have a "dumb phone" profile that turns everything except phone and text off when the screen is off. Am I truly the only one that misses that feature?

Although I find the Atrix a vast step up from my first smart phone (the Huawei 8652), I have to say that the Huawei could be easily configured so the battery would last about a week with very low use. That was battery life on a par with my LG GT550 feature phone.

Paul

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I should add that the whole point to opening the dialog with Motorola was simply to try to figure out if A) my ~ 2 year old battery (I'm the second owner) had lost significant capacity and B) if the battery is OK, what do I have to do to get closer to the stated 400 hours. I didn't get an answer to either of those questions.

The replacement battery they sent me will be here today. I will be most interested to see if it performs any better. My guess is that it will be only marginally better, but who knows.

I am trying to avoid rooting it, but that might be the next step so I can freeze a couple of the background apps like the news and weather app that seems to be creating wake locks even though I don't use it and have it shut down as far as I can.

Why go through all this? Simple.... the longer I can make the battery last, the more likely I am to have some battery left when I really need it and there isn't a convenient charging source. I am in no way tied to my phone and am perfectly content with having everything possible shut down when I'm not using it.

A semi-related question..... what is the story on aftermarket (non-OEM) batteries for the Atrix? Do they work or does the phone reject them?

Paul

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    A simple statement to the effect that 400 hours was the maximum under the following conditions would be sufficient. Or is everyone playing standby time one upsmanship?
    I haven't seen the official 400 hour statement, but I'll take your word on it.
    I'd say yes to your question. Motorola and like everyone is trying to sell their product
    and make it seem appealing to people. Companies down right lie sometimes to make
    the sale. Could motorola be lying about standby? Maybe. Could they be telling the truth about standby? That's a maybe too.

It is to bad that Android doesn't have a "dumb phone" profile that turns everything except phone and text off when the screen is off. Am I truly the only one that misses that feature?
    Smartphones have short lifespans when charged. I'd wager a 24 hour on average use for most users. From the Iphone to Android phones to Blackberries. I would also too like to have a phone that lasts as long as the old nokia 5190 that can stay charged for a week. But in today's modern world, spare batteries and external USB power packs make that irrelevant.

A semi-related question..... what is the story on aftermarket (non-OEM) batteries for the Atrix? Do they work or does the phone reject them?
    Yes, aftermarket batteries work on the atrix. XDA posters and here have posted about their experience on batteries. Some aftermarket batteries don't hold the charge they have written on them. Some are better than advertise. Some are dead on arrival. I believe its just a random grab bag whenever you purchase a battery on its capacitance.

I keep a spare battery in my wallet. And in my travel sack, I carry a spare mobile power unit and a solar charging unit. When I go out to the deep end, I bring a spare car battery, inverter, and dc to dc converter.

- U

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by useful View Post
    I haven't seen the official 400 hour statement, but I'll take your word on it.
    I'd say yes to your question. Motorola and like everyone is trying to sell their product
    and make it seem appealing to people. Companies down right lie sometimes to make
    the sale. Could motorola be lying about standby? Maybe. Could they be telling the truth about standby? That's a maybe too.
    The 400 hour figure is straight from the Motorola web site. I tend to believe that it is a real number and that the phone can achieve it. Trouble is, Motorola is not providing any guidance re: how to. The specification states different numbers for GSM and non-GSM, so I have to assume that the phone is on and connected to voice service. Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

Smartphones have short lifespans when charged. I'd wager a 24 hour on average use for most users. From the Iphone to Android phones to Blackberries. I would also too like to have a phone that lasts as long as the old nokia 5190 that can stay charged for a week. But in today's modern world, spare batteries and external USB power packs make that irrelevant.
    Irrelevant if you are OK with carrying around spare batteries and chargers. I am not. I want a phone that lives inconspicously in my pocket and doesn't require that I carry anything extra. My ATT Fusion (Huawei 8652) actually came close. It is smaller than the Atrix 4G and after I rooted it, it could go a week between charges with mobile data disabled as long as I didn't allow Google to do its thing in the background. I was actually quite impressed by what a cheap Chinese phone could do. But it really struggled to open web pages and the WiFi took forever to connect after it had been sleeping so I bought the Atrix 4G.

Yes, aftermarket batteries work on the atrix. XDA posters and here have posted about their experience on batteries. Some aftermarket batteries don't hold the charge they have written on them. Some are better than advertise. Some are dead on arrival. I believe its just a random grab bag whenever you purchase a battery on its capacitance.
    Thanks for that. I have been wary ever since I bought a non-OEM battery for my old Razr V3 and the phone would randomly reject it as "non-genuine" and refuse to charge it. Same deal with my Canon camcorder and Nikon DSLR. Really pi$$es me off, especially when the price premium for a genuine battery is about 10X. I fly electric RC airplanes and I KNOW what a single 2AH lithium cell should cost at the retail level. And it ain't 40 bux

Paul

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    With the lowest power state I can get my Atrix in, data off, wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off, and asleep all night I've calculated mine would run around 57 hours, but that's on a 1.5 year old battery.
    Moto Atrix 4G - Rooted, BL Unlocked, Carrier unlocked, RedPill CM7.2
    Google N1 - Rooted, Retired, Bad power switch repaired, backup device

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kage_ View Post
    With the lowest power state I can get my Atrix in, data off, wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off, and asleep all night I've calculated mine would run around 57 hours, but that's on a 1.5 year old battery.
    Well, if that is typical, I guess I am not doing too bad at all. BBS consistently tells me I am discharging at between 1% and 1.1% per hour with max battery saver, WiFi and bluetooth enabled, mobile data and GPS off. Everything is set to sync manually.

The battery arrived yesterday.... and was the wrong one. They are overnighting the correct battery. I don't expect it to extend my run time, based on your experience. And they could have saved having to send me TWO batteries at no charge if they would just tell us what a realistic run time is.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads