Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What do I need to do to leave AT&T?

This is a discussion on What do I need to do to leave AT&T? within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; There are many independant carriers now making it feasible to move to another carrier for a flat rate. Many have unlimited everything for as little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What do I need to do to leave AT&T?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

What do I need to do to leave AT&T?

There are many independant carriers now making it feasible to move to another carrier for a flat rate. Many have unlimited everything for as little as $45 a month. So - question is whether I can use my Atrix on another carrier. I know I can't do anyone with CDMA but I was thinking in terms of using my current phone. Do I need to root? Install another ROM?
    If someone can point to me to a reasonably readable explanation on what I need to do I'd be appreciative.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    I was unclear - my contract is up next month - how do I unlock the phone to go to another network - or is that something you have to pay for an unlock code?
    I heard that AT&T would provide you with the code if you asked and your account was in good order but that sounds unlikely.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Call them. The rep I talked to provided the unlock code for mine with no issues. If they ask for a reason tell them you'll be traveling.
    Moto Atrix 4G - Rooted, BL Unlocked, Carrier unlocked, RedPill CM7.2
    Google N1 - Rooted, Retired, Bad power switch repaired, backup device

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    With your contract up, i wouldn't see at&t causing issues if you ask for the carrier unlock code or not. If you're not successful, you can always go with a 3rd party vendor such as cellunlocker.net.

I personally have gone with them when i unlocked my galaxy s3. It cost me $20. I unlocked my old s2 for $8 bucks with them. The price just depends on the device and how old it is.

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    i got lucky, my atrix was a second line on my wife's contract. when her non smartphone 2 yr commitment was up my phone still had a year left. we cancelled our contract and jumped ship to straight talk with my unlocked atrix. they didnt charge me a cancellation fee.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    FWIW..... I was told by an ATT tech that a phone on a prepaid plan (like StraightTalk, for example) will not roam. You are either on the ATT system or you have no service. A phone on a regular ATT postpaid plan will roam on other GSM carriers that ATT has a relationship with. This explains why (if you look carefully) the GoPhone and StraightTalk coverage maps are subtly worse than the regular ATT coverage map.

Again, FWIW. I have not been able to verify this. I too have been looking at other alternatives to ATT as well as the possibility of simply switching to a prepaid ATT plan (to allow me to make data optional).

Paul

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tabtje View Post
    i got lucky, my atrix was a second line on my wife's contract. when her non smartphone 2 yr commitment was up my phone still had a year left. we cancelled our contract and jumped ship to straight talk with my unlocked atrix. they didnt charge me a cancellation fee.
    You're lucky - I'm 5 days away from my contract being up and AT&T told me they would slap me with a $95 "early termination fee" per line (3). Jerks...
    They did however give me the unlock code and I'll head over to straigh talk as soon as I can. The only gotcha I can find is that I'm limited to 3G. Other than that it's hard to argue with unlimited everything for $45/month.
    One of the things that did irritate me is Wal-mart has a "deal" on iPhone 5 financing. Don't do it! Turns out the phone is CDMA only (weird) and locked to their network (tracfone). This means that you're screwed if you want to take it to another CDMA carrier as so far none have been willing to accept a phone that comes from another network. Why are our cell phones so screwed up...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    You're lucky - I'm 5 days away from my contract being up and AT&T told me they would slap me with a $95 "early termination fee" per line (3). Jerks...
    They did however give me the unlock code and I'll head over to straigh talk as soon as I can. The only gotcha I can find is that I'm limited to 3G. Other than that it's hard to argue with unlimited everything for $45/month.
    One of the things that did irritate me is Wal-mart has a "deal" on iPhone 5 financing. Don't do it! Turns out the phone is CDMA only (weird) and locked to their network (tracfone). This means that you're screwed if you want to take it to another CDMA carrier as so far none have been willing to accept a phone that comes from another network. Why are our cell phones so screwed up...
    My S3's not screwed up lol! J/K Seriously though, if I were going to go unlocked, I would buy a Nexus 4 that comes unlocked. Then you can try whatever plan/company you want. You could always find a used device like a Galaxy Nexus for sale somewhere too.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Just wanted to post that I asked AT&T to carrier unlock my atrix 4G near launch time. They said no. I went over to cellunlock.net as well. They worked at least for me. After browsing a lot (for days) online, I picked them since they got the best reviews, although some atrix owners posted they tried cellunlock and didnt unlock their phone. I gambled and got lucky.

I've been pretty happy with T-Mobile pay as you go since the beginning of the atrix.

- U

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads