Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ubuntu on the ATRIX 4G

This is a discussion on Ubuntu on the ATRIX 4G within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Hello everyone! I know a while ago this had been brought up by some members here, and while most have moved on to bigger and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Lradke

Thread: Ubuntu on the ATRIX 4G

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times

Ubuntu on the ATRIX 4G

Hello everyone! I know a while ago this had been brought up by some members here, and while most have moved on to bigger and better devices, there may be a few like me who will still have their ATRIX for a while yet because of contracts, etc.

For those of you in the same situation as I am, I thought I'd mention the benefits of having a blur based rom. Right now I am on Nottachtrix 2.0, that was improved by Grey.Mouser over at XDA. The rom is amazing (best blur rom I have tried), but more than that, I have UbunTop installed in place of webtop. You can find it over at XDA in the development section for the ATRIX.

It is simple enough to do, just make sure your partition is big enough on your SD card for when you install programs.

The main reason I like this is because I now have a functional lapdock that meets my needs for the intense professional program I am in. Simply install OpenOffice and your good to go! I hear you can also do gaming with it, but I have yet to figure that part out.

I thought I'd just pass thebinfo along for those who may not know about it or that may be questioning it.

Here's a sample pic of the desktop interface (complete with schoolwork )

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1363841984776.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  90.1 KB

Cheers!
    Luke

~Nottachtrix 2.0~
    RobKort, Condor97 and G-Man like this.
    ~Luke

Nottachtrix 2.0 with UbunTopLX

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Cool man, thanks for sharing.

"Tapped in HD"

Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    There's only 1 little issue...I can download games (lets say from Synaptic) but I cant find them anywhere. I know they are installed I just dont know where...lol!
    ~Luke

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    Thats pretty cool Luke. Nice looking interface!

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Thats neat Lradke. So you installed a custom rom called Nottachtrix 2.0. Then added an "add-on" called UbunTop onto an extra microSD card installed into the atrix.

Few questions if you dont mind.

Does your phone heat up running openoffice? temperature hot normal, or it needs a heatsink hot?
    How long do you have it running? Any crashes/freezes? Any notable issues popping up like lag or other apps that wont run?

- U
    Last edited by useful; 03-21-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: oops referenced wrong person

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    Hey Useful!

That's about it...I installed Nottachtrix 2.0 (most up to date, and installed the UbuntopLX in the Aroma installer for the rom. When all is installed and the phone is booted up, you run the "Webtop2SD" app and have it partition your eternal SD card. It's recommended that the partition is 3GB (I did 9, I have a 32GB SD). It will format the SD too, so you'll want to be sure to back the info up somewhere if anything is on it. That app moves the webtop to the SD card.

Then you simply folow the instructions by the Lokifish Marz, on this thread (has everything you need to know...and it is a standard program for both the Photon and Atrix), and you'll be good to go. It will boot up into Webtop+ first, and you need to run a script to chnge it to Ubuntop.

When running open office, nothing heats up. I find the back of the lapdock gets a bit warm if I have had it running for a few hours, while doing schoolwork...but what I mean by a bit warm is it isn't cold to the touch like everything else. Nothing has ever gotten hot. Since it is powered by the phone, it is slower than a PC/laptop, but I have only come accross some lag when I have about 5-6 documents open and about 4 tabs on my internet. Other than that it runs very smooth! It is several times faster than Webtop!! All apps run from the phone, but I mostly use computer programs for linux that I downloaded from the Synaptic Package Manager.

There are SOME issues with some of the programs (errors and whatnot), but google is amazing in helping you out and usually you just have to run a script in the terminal to fix something. There is one error that comes up though, and you have to add a line on some system file. (error for everyone, so the fix is easily found).

Anyway, having used stock Webtop, Webtop+ and Ubuntop, I would recommend the Ubuntop. It is WAY smoother, faster and so far the sky is the limit...except for burning Cds on the lapdock...and my complete inexperience with linux.
    ~Luke

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    This seems like a good idea for the lapdock. I'll definitely consider doing this if a working/stable/nonbricking version of ICS ever comes to the atrix. And only after all the guinea pigs try first.

Thanks for sharing this knowledge with us.

- U

Ads