Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix 4G thoughts

This is a discussion on Atrix 4G thoughts within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; First off, I really like my Atrix 4G phone. I've had it for over 2 years, and enjoy it. I have the multimedia docks (both ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RobKort
  • 1 Post By UltraDroid

Thread: Atrix 4G thoughts

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Atrix 4G thoughts

First off, I really like my Atrix 4G phone. I've had it for over 2 years, and enjoy it.

I have the multimedia docks (both of them)
    I have the docking station
    I have the car dock

Actually I also bout one and the supporting stuff for my girlfriend, too.

These extras work really well for me, and even now, when I plug in my phone into the dock, and start typing away, or join a WebEx meeting, people are amazed. I can use teamviewer and connect to to my computers doing experiments from all over the world. I can store or read stuff from a thumbdrive.

I plug it into my car dock, and I have a decent GPS driving by voice guidence system.

I dread the day my Atrix dies, but I may just buy a used one to keep all of this functionality, especially the investment in the hardware. I stupidly thought they would allow newer products to plug into the older docking hardware, etc.

I think the concept is still a good one. But the things that happened really screwed it up!

First, the service providers required tethering to get the full functionality. That was dumb.
    Second, Motorola did not keep a consitent platform, i.e. new phones didn't plug into the older docks.
    Third (turd?) Google bought the Motorola phones and f'd up the new upgrage strategy. I wanted ICS to upgrade my webtop!

I am a businessman and use my phone professionaly. This seemed like a cool item, and I have used it.

Oh, I forgot a critical thing, the fools prevented the use of the HDMI to directly drive a display without all of the extra hardware junk. That was mistake as far as I can see.

Now, the concept is dead, but I still seem to have something special with all of this stuff. So many who see it are amazed with what I can do with this phone.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

I'm sad to see where this concept went, or more accurately didn't go.

Bob (sorry about spelling and typos, no spell check..)

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Well the Atrix was a phone ahead of it's time for sure. I'm also surprised they didn't evolved and kept it going. I don't know if we ever see something like it in the near future, but it sure is one of my favorite devices.

Beta 4.5 Tap'n
    Last edited by RobKort; 05-22-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    UltraDroid likes this.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Hi Bob, I have to say I am with you on this one. It is too bad how they treated the Atrix.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    The old order changeth, yielding place to new,
    And God fulfils himself in many ways,
    Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Idylls of the King, published between 1856 and 1885, is a cycle of twelve narrative poems by the English poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809–1892; Poet Laureate from 1850) which retells the legend of King Arthur, his knights, his love for Guinevere and her tragic betrayal of him, and the rise and fall of Arthur's kingdom.
    Last edited by UltraDroid; 05-23-2013 at 01:37 AM.
    Condor97 likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Still keeping the Faith

blv426/Bob, you are not the only one who bought the accessories. I discovered them after they mysteriously went on sale: the lapdock went from $499 to $60, so I pounced. I take it with me on travels. When i can find an AT&T hotspot, or a cafe wifi, i am all set with atrix+lapdock. It's just so convenient and lightweight.`

The hardware engineering was beautifully executed, did you notice? The device is elegant and clever. As you pointed out, only the absence of software updates and product support ruined the magic.

The tethering limitation and extra cost is unbelievably abusive. How does it compute that a docking station for an individual phone, which can use 4G to access the Internet, suddenly becomes a tethered station when an HDMI screen is attached? Incredible. It shows that AT&T and Mot never really understood their own product or its demographic.

I wish I could have attended their marketing meetings before Atrix go-live. I would have killed somebody, and I'd be in jail right now. Worth it.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Two words- Finger Swype
    ""From my cold, dead hands!"

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Is it a computer, or is it a phone?!?... lol. It's a phone. The lapdock is simply an external monitor/keyboard with a seriously crappy mouse(glorified tablet), & webtop is simply rediculous(isn't firefox free?). I still haven't quite figured out how Google turned freeware(linux) into a proprietary software, full of (non-removable unless you void warrantee by rooting) bloatware that requires pay-to-play, for most of the "full version" apps. Minor flaws in an otherwise seriously badass phone. It wrote the book on all potential things for carriers to make sure to try & block/remove/bill extra for. It reminds me of the original PS2-play any media on a disk & had ports for things not even invented yet. Looks like fine weather for free tether(CWMtether seems to go unnoticed by any of the carriers, unlike PDAnet, etc.). I've got good root stock, but the clones still haven't germinated. And don't forget that an Apple a day, keeps the torrents away(& Youtube downloads).
    ""From my cold, dead hands!"

Remove Ads

Ads