Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Lenovo to Purchase Motorola Mobility

This is a discussion on Lenovo to Purchase Motorola Mobility within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Mind = blown. With the Moto X, Moto G, and now the announced Project Ara modular smartphone garnering attention, you'd think Google would keep cutting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lenovo to Purchase Motorola Mobility

Member #
    Twitter
    stalematev6
    Liked
    109 times

Exclamation Lenovo to Purchase Motorola Mobility

Mind = blown.

With the Moto X, Moto G, and now the announced Project Ara modular smartphone garnering attention, you'd think Google would keep cutting new swaths through the "best bang for the buck" competition.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/google-seen-selling-it-mobility-unit-to-lenovo-for-about-3-billion/?action=click&contentCollection=Technology&region= Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

One thing's certain: the Android bigwigs will no longer fear competition from their supplier.
    Android 4.4.2 Jelly Bean || Bell Mobility Samsung Note 3
    Epinter's CM 10.1 || Atrix 4G MB860

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I heard they sold that google sold motorola at a loss, it must be bad....

- U

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    This is too bad. I was just starting to come around on my Motorola stance due to the support and attention Google has given their new phones. Maybe Linovo will do something good, who knows. Probably develop yet another manufacturer skin. One thing that I think is kind of a tragedy (and maybe I am wrong on this) is that Moto is no longer an American company. This in my eyes is particularly bad news because they were Americas supplier for military/law enforcement hardware.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Just for clarification, here is a quote from S3 forums...

Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    Keep in mind that Motorola Mobility only does mobile. They do not do own the company that makes two-way radios etc.

Chinese ownership by the looks of it: Lenovo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Member #
    Twitter
    stalematev6
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor97 View Post
    ... they were Americas supplier for military/law enforcement hardware.
    Remember this?

It Only Took the Army 16 Years and 2 Wars to Deploy This Network | Danger Room | Wired.com
    Android 4.4.2 Jelly Bean || Bell Mobility Samsung Note 3
    Epinter's CM 10.1 || Atrix 4G MB860

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Thats right!! I wonder how that program ended up.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Wink

Yeah, I know, don't revive old & inactive threads, but I had no idea this project existed until I started looking around the forums once again. This makes me think of how really, until recently, there was no other phone out there that you could honestly say was an upgrade from our beloved OG Atrix--so much so that even the army thought so. Interesting read is all I have to say.

By the way, I've had my Atrix since early June 2011 but it started dying on me since January of this year. First the headphone jack stopped working. Then the fingerprint reader, then the screen often became unresponsive until I did a battery pull, then the speaker went. Soon after the earpiece followed. Last week the bluetooth and wifi stopped working as well. Funny thing is, if I bend it, sometimes the speaker or some other thing will start working if I keep bending it. So it's probably the cheap internal connections Moto used that crapped out after three years. Long story short, after looking at the S5, M8, Z2 and Oppo Find 7, I went ahead and ordered a brand-new, untouched-by-AT&T Atrix 4G off of amazon for $112!! Ships from Japan though, so it will be here in about a month & half. d: You guys should get on it, there were 12 left last time I checked!

What about you guys? Are any of you still using your 4G as your primary? If not, what are you using & did it really (be honest) feel like an upgrade?
    Thanks for reading through this rant, thought it was worth sharing!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by useful View Post
    I heard they sold that google sold motorola at a loss, it must be bad....

- U
    Google never bought Motorola to get a huge gain in the smartphone market. Google bought Motorola for patents. Patents are king in the mobile world. Google did not want to appear to favor Motorola so they closed a lot of doors that could have made the Moto X and Moto G even better phones.

The purchase by Lenovo did not come as a shock to me, as it was clear after the purchase what Google's intent was. Patent portfolios are important in the industry as they generate a significant amount of recurring revenue.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Awesome, my atrix is military spec grade =D

What about you guys? Are any of you still using your 4G as your primary? If not, what are you using & did it really (be honest) feel like an upgrade?
    Thanks for reading through this rant, thought it was worth sharing!
    For the most part, my atrix turned into my secondary these days, so Im not using it except for a companion device. I switched over to the FreedomPop phone as a primary as price is my biggest concern.
    The atrix is still way better, but since I dont have to pay for phone calls anymore using the freedompop service.

$0 dollars for phone usage + internet trumps even pay as you go.

As for an upgrade, I played with the iphones and the newer s4 galaxy phones. The extra speed is nice, but I constantly have to remind myself this is phone with computer features. The main usage
    is a phone, everything else is gravy. Sony has a neat phone which is completely water proof that you can drop into a pool, but even then Im like meh, lol. With the tablet market expanding, I'm
    switching to tablets for my portable computing.

- U
    grenefroggie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    To me, Moto mobi sell to Lenovo isn't good news. What a joke is Lenovo thinkpad still selling with old technology, i.e. The red button. Glad to know that there is still Atrix users. I am using one as primary (official 2.3.4), one with minor mon defect as music player ( MROM 2.3.7). I am a bit an audiophile and the sound quality was my major decision to buy Atrix. It correctly implement wolfson soc. The music quality is promising. Up till now, I still can't find a comparable replacement on market. Thus, I bought my 3rd Atrix with 2.2.2 brand new last month as spare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads