Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I am rooting my Atrix today, follow along if you want! [Discussion][Walkthrough]

This is a discussion on I am rooting my Atrix today, follow along if you want! [Discussion][Walkthrough] within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; So, I am rooting my Atrix today and wanted to post a thread that I can throw out observations, ideas and thoughts into as I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I am rooting my Atrix today, follow along if you want! [Discussion][Walkthrough]

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I am rooting my Atrix today, follow along if you want! [Discussion][Walkthrough]

So, I am rooting my Atrix today and wanted to post a thread that I can throw out observations, ideas and thoughts into as I go through the process.

I am starting by following this thread by Abstract. Awesome and concise how to on rooting, installing Adeo and loading the Gingerbread theme. Show Abstract some love!

Okay, so I wanted to know more about rooting, and ADB (or the Android Debug Bridge) which lets your PC communicate with your phone over the USB port. Since I am a linux administrator who runs a hosting company, I am very curious about logging into my phone and issuing commands over shell (plus just generally looking around). I noticed the mod das8nt posted a thread about troubleshooting when rooting. So, I started there and was glad I did.

First thing I notice: people always say you should make sure you have the drivers installed. So, I just downloaded and installed the drivers from here, as suggested. It's labeled "Download Motorola 4.9.0 Driver with MotoHelper" and is a Windows executable file. Run it and it installs the drivers. If you ever need to do this again in the future, or want to upgrade your drivers, on the Windows button under All Programs > Motorola > Mobile Drivers you will see a link for the driver install program. There is a Clean and Reinstall option and an Update Drivers option within the program.

[UPDATE 2] Moving on... I wanted to install the SDK as I am sure we will be dabbling in producing some Android apps for the company, monitoring servers or an API for our site, etc. So when I saw in das8nt's thread info about installing the SDK and connecting over ADB it was just what I was looking for. So, I downloaded the SDK and went to install it. It asked for a Java SDK to be installed. So I did that and then re-ran the Android SDK. Both installed just fine, following the steps here, a link suggested by das8nt (you are awesome). However, I ran into a problem when I reached the part that showed ADB installed in Device Manager on Windows. It wasn't there. I closed everything down, re-ran the driver install using the clean and re-install option, made sure the Platform-tools were installed. Still nothing. I unplugged my Atrix, set the USB connection to Media Sync, then back to None, then plugged it in again. Device manager refreshed and there it was: "ADB Interface" just like the page on Addictive Tips shows. Awesome.

I clicked the Windows button, clicked Run, typed "cmd" (no quotes) and up popped a shell window. Typing in "adb devices" shows my Atrix. Sweet! Typing in "adb shell" up popped a linux shell prompt. I browsed around a bit on the phone. All the regulars are there: home, system, etc. This is cool. Leaving me wondering if I can connect to this little beauty over putty (a shell client popular with linux folk).

So it looks like I am in and the connection is right. Time to root.

[UPDATE 3] Okay, so I just went back to Abstracts post, which has a step by step on how to root. I downloaded aRoot here, used 7-zip (which you can get from cNet for free) and did "extract to directory aRoot" and there it was - a folder called aRoot. I moved the folder to my desktop from the downloads folder so it will be easily found. Opening the folder I notice abd.exe is in there, along with the aRoot and unRoot batch files.

If you load aRoot.bat into a text editor, you'll see it's really just a list of commands telling windows to use the ADB shell to issue linux commands to the phone. I suppose you could enter these in using the SDB shell yourself and they would work fine. I see it remounting the system folder, installing some things including sqlite, then using sqlite to change some database files to enable sideloading and tethering. I would have liked it if the script asked before enabling tethering, but oh well. I then see it shuffles some files around while setting up init.d and changes some permissions. It doesn't do a whole lot. I'm surprise it's this simple. Finally it reboots. Interesting.

Ok, so I am pressing it now and getting some coffee. Ooh, a red light flashing. Here I come caffeine...

Ok, I'm back and it's done doing it's thing. Looks like my phone restarted. The root batch script windows says "Press any key to continue". Looks like it's done. Now, how do I see if it worked? Ahh yes, Titanium Backup. Installing now.

[UPDATE 4] And it looks like it worked. Titanium installed and when I first ran it up popped a window saying it was asking for root access. I accepted, accepted the message it showed about versions and when it fully loads I see "Root access: OK (BusyBox 1.14.3 from system). I think I am rooted. Or rather my Atrix is!

Happiness! If you were afraid of rooting your phone for fear of bricking it, let me say that it was pretty easy. My only snag was making sure the connection was right for ADB. I think I set it from Windows Sync to None while it was plugged in and THAT is what gave me problems. Unplug it first, then set it to none, then plug it back in - that seemed to solve the issue I was having. Anyway, don't be afraid - all the hard work has been done for you. Follow the guides and you should have no issues.

Next I'm installing ADEO using the video on the thread by Abstract. But it you have any questions about the process, ask away. I just spent some tense moments but it was going to be worth it, I'm sure.
    Last edited by mct; 03-21-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Following the video, I downloaded and decompressed the Adeo installer to my desktop. Again, there is our friend adb.exe and a couple Windows DLL files, plus the INSTALL.bat batch file. This is again where all the magic happens, as it is issuing commands to our phone and copying new files in place of old after taking a quick backup of our old system, according to the video. I see it running a program called psneuter (ouch, neuter??), then pushing the installer to the phone, changing permissions on the file so it will run, and finally running it.

I'm watching the video to completion BEFORE I start my install, because I don't want any surprises during the process. It looks like all you have to do is make sure USB connection is set to None, and Debugging is checked under the connection. So I made sure both of those were set and I clicked the INSTALL.bat file. Currently it says it's pushing files...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hm, it says it takes a bit and I should be patient. I am. But the phone just went dark and (I am assuming) locked. SCARY!

Edit: Just as I pressed Save on this post, it jumped to the next section and is creating backup. Total time was just a couple of minutes. It seemed like eternity plus one.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It's moving more quickly now. In just a couple of minutes it has gone through extracting the installer, blocking ads, stripping odex files, and now says rebooting. I have the red blinking light.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    And it's rebooting. Big sigh. Flashing red moto, AT&T tells me to rethink how possible it is that they can bill me in another way, and it's back. Wow it was stuck on AT&T for more time than I liked. But I didn't mess with it at all.

Happiness x 2!

Looks like total time was around 15 minutes from start to finish.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    In the video he uses Root Explorer to view his files, which looked nice. Just jumped on the Market and bought it. It says it even shows you hidden folders, which will come in handy if I truly want to root around the phone.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    [UPDATE 5] And viola. Under /system/apps I see no odex files. I have the Reboot option when I hold power. Looks like it worked. Hot diggity dog diggity.

And back from a long delay. Work and family interference! Reading through the xda thread on the Adeo Rom (which is not truly a Rom but rather some files being doinked around with) and some of those posting are truly annoying. I know why the mods get angry over there. On page 25 of 60 at this point...

[UPDATE 6] Well, I got to the point where he released the redux (0.2) and it really wasn't explained except to be an update to fix some things. So I threw trust to the wind and downloaded it and ran INSTALL.bat again.

Ooh. Nice little red screen shell script with some cards spelling out A.D.E.O. Cool. It does some things and then reboots. After the red light flashes for what seems like an eternity added to infinity, it stopped flashing the Atrix actually did reboot. I have gray hairs now. I took a quick glance at the files included with this update. Not a big java guy, but I do my fair share of both C# and perl coding. I don't have a ton of free time, but I will try and make sense of what DG was doing at a later date. I like how they slid in a custom hosts file to help keep bad web sites from loading. I may add some to this file myself, as we maintain a hosts file here to use in the office since we work on compromised machines from time to time.

AND I've just reached the point in the thread where DG bails on the Atrix. Wow. He recommends everyone do the same. Bummer. Makes me passionate now about hacking this little sucker. I hate when someone with so much promise looks a challenge in the face and walks away. Oh well. Trudging on in the thread. Page 26 out of nearly 70 now. It's growing as I read it. LOL

Wow. Version 0.2 of ADEO actually removes MotoBlur icons, widgets and accounts. If you like MotoBlur, do not update to 0.2. I can live without it, so I welcome the change. People on the thread are complaining about the finger scanner not working, contacts not being able to be added, widgets not working right, the phone rebooting wildly. I have experienced none of these things so far.

Moved on to the video for the GB install, since there really isn't much more on that thread. Still unsure if DesignGears will continue working with an Atrix, though. I guess time will tell. Anywho, I am now following the step by step video of the GingerBlur install.

[UPDATE 8] I went through the video and it was like butter. Smooth and tasty. No issues, again the long wait on the AT&T splash screen but once it came back up it was beautiful. Having a look at the batch file, this script simply pushes the theme onto the phone, remounts that drive and copies a couple of java files. After installing BusyBox (if needed) that is. Pretty simple little script that begs for me to look at the files that were pushed to the phone and mux with them some more.... in good time.

For now, it's test, test and test. I want to be sure everything is working well and that I don't have issues. Thanks again to Abstract and das8nt for their informative threads. I hope my writing as I walked through this helps someone.
    Last edited by mct; 03-21-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added info

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I am glad to see this worked for you! I got some useful information from the amount of detail you gave!

Made my tut just a little bit stronger!

BTW I had the same anxiety on how long the reboots took...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks, Abstract. Your post is what lead me along. Awesome post. I thought more detail about the process might help those who are teetering on the brink to finally make the leap. I'm reading through the Adeo thread on xda now to see what the deal is with version 0.2, and then hopefully it will be on to the GB theme (now done!!).
    Last edited by mct; 03-21-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I'm just rooted. The only thing holding me back from modding further, is I don't want to have to flash back to stock, when the official OS update comes out. I don't want to lose all the customization I've done, and will do with the "roms".

"Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Ads