Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[FIX] Update with Android next to Caution Symbol

This is a discussion on [FIX] Update with Android next to Caution Symbol within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Alright, I've seen many people with problem, and I have experience and know completely how to fix it. Some background information on OTA updates. When ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [FIX] Update with Android next to Caution Symbol

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times

[FIX] Update with Android next to Caution Symbol

Alright,
    I've seen many people with problem, and I have experience and know completely how to fix it. Some background information on OTA updates. When the update is installing (at least for Motorola?) it checks all system files for a hash to make sure it hasn't been tampered with. So any hacks you installed (Gingerblur, Adeo, Webtop hack, etc) will corrupt an update. Almost all of these hacks have an uninstall method that if completed correctly will allow you to get updates.

Just a note, you can be rooted with OTA updates, you will lose all root abilities (SU, Titanium Backup, tethering) but through a loophole you will keep sideloading (Amazon Appstore).

I'll list some common hacks:
    Gingerblur - You should be able to run uninstaller that came with the installer when downloaded.
    Adeo - You have to replace the edited files with backup files from your devices using adb (installed on computer using Android SDK).
    Webtop hack - Follow these instructions or
    Enter this into your adb (installed on computer using Android SDK):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
    cp /mnt/sdcard/WebtopModBackup/DockProvider.odex.bak /system/app/DockProvider.odex 
    cp /mnt/sdcard/WebtopModBackup/DockService.odex.bak /system/app/DockService.odex 
    cp /mnt/sdcard/WebtopModBackup/PortalApp.odex.bak /system/app/PortalApp.odex
    cp /mnt/sdcard/WebtopModBackup/DockProvider.apk.bak /system/app/DockProvider.apk 
    cp /mnt/sdcard/WebtopModBackup/DockService.apk.bak /system/app/DockService.apk 
    cp /mnt/sdcard/WebtopModBackup/PortalApp.apk.bak /system/app/PortalApp.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/*
    Frozen System Apps - If you have any frozen motoblur system apps to deblur your phone (not really a hack..), you must "thaw" the frozen files (un freeze) using the app that you froze them with.

If anyone has questions or requests on the above just ask me and I'll do my best, but I personally only have experience with webtop hack.

Another thing you can do is flash a stock (v4.1.26) sbf to your phone, which restores all your system files to the stock version and you can update from there. However this process will cause you to lose just about all apps, settings, etc..the only thing I think you keep is data (images, music, etc). I can help you with doing this because I've done it before, and I recommend using 4.1.26 because it is AT&T's retail version.
    [GUIDE] Flash SBF to Motorola Atrix 4G - xda-developers

You can also now flash straight to v4.1.57 using the leaked files on the same above method. The only downside to this is you can't root before updating, meaning you won't have sideloading abilities (and I haven't tested this one).

Finally, you can now root on v4.1.26 and use this hack (haven't tested) to keep all root abilities on v4.1.57.

- Sam

PS: Please leave any suggestions for clutter (my mind's everywhere on this one) and things to add. If you have any questions I or someone else will gladly answer snappy. Once again try at your own risk, or have me help (still at your own risk!)..keep in mind I've only actually uninstalled webtop hack and flashed my phone with v4.1.26.
    Last edited by thekooliest; 03-30-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    gomerpylevw likes this.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Awesome post, Sam!

As a side note... Adeo doesn't have an uninstaller (that I know of); the stock system files have to be pushed back to the phone via ADB. It's not the easiest to get out from under.
    thekooliest likes this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    That's an awesome post! Thank you!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Awesome post, Sam!

As a side note... Adeo doesn't have an uninstaller (that I know of); the stock system files have to be pushed back to the phone via ADB. It's not the easiest to get out from under.
    Thanks, about to update that. And adding the fact that you must thaw frozen system apps.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    [QUOTE=thekooliest;13503]
    Code:
    I can't get past this command. It seems as though the adb I'm using came with the MOTODev Studio and it doesn't like mount -o it tells me the "usage"

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    [QUOTE=gomerpylevw;13949]
    Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    Code:
    I can't get past this command. It seems as though the adb I'm using came with the MOTODev Studio and it doesn't like mount -o it tells me the "usage"
    Were you using the adb installed on your PC using the Android SDK? It can be set up using this tutorial :
    What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No, I used the one that came with MOTODev Studio. I'll try to install the Android SDK and see where that gets me...any way of doing this directly on the phone?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gomerpylevw View Post
    No, I used the one that came with MOTODev Studio. I'll try to install the Android SDK and see where that gets me...any way of doing this directly on the phone?
    Can't quote this but I heard it wont work great on the phone. Let me know how it works from the PC, or if you have any questions.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the help. I was in kindof a rush for time so I went by the instructions found on this forum and then downloaded the update and it worked great!

[How To] [MOD] Undo Webtop Mod [MOD] [How To]
    thekooliest likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    If anyone is still missing the backup files I uploaded them on [How To] [MOD] Undo Webtop Mod [MOD] [How To]

Ads