Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Have you had any touchscreen problems? Mine is acting up

This is a discussion on Have you had any touchscreen problems? Mine is acting up within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Hi all, new Atrix owner here. I picked up my phone two days ago and its been flawless until today, was really liking it. Although ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Have you had any touchscreen problems? Mine is acting up

Hi all, new Atrix owner here. I picked up my phone two days ago and its been flawless until today, was really liking it. Although this afternoon as I start to use it, the touchscreen seems to be acting up more and more. Its starting to worry me and I think I may have to go for an exchange if it doesn't get better.

I'm kind of surprised to have a problem now as it worked fine for a couple days, but I get issues like the following now:

- Doesn't respond to taps on homescreen icons (takes like 10-20 tries sometimes)
    - Occasionally totally ignores left-right swipes when trying to slide between the 7 homescreens.
    - When I swipe to move left, it goes like halfway to the left and then occasionally jerks violently in the other direction.
    - (Probably the most damning issue) When I swipe between screens, occasionally it will "stick" in between screens and just sit and jitter back and forth for as long as ten seconds, even if I totally remove my fingers from the screen. It's like there are two competing fingers trying to pull it left and right at the same time and it doesn't know which way to go.

I tried rebooting it and leaving it off for 5 minutes, but it was the same when it came back. Later I came back and it was working fine again (swiped back and forth 50 times with perfect precision), but then 20 minutes later it was acting up again.

I've heard of issues with people accidentally touching the corners of the screen, but I'm being very careful (phone lying flat on desk, touching with 1 finger only), and it can barely recognize my touch anymore.

I've only had it for a few days so I've got lots of time left on my return policy, but I just wanted to hear if anyone else has had any symptoms like these on their Atrix. Might give it one more day before driving to the store, but I'm just curious if there's any other thoughts out there.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Never heard this. Have you updated to v4.1.57 on your device? It's an OTA update you can access from Settings>About Phone>System Updates. This may help, or maybe not..worth a try before returning it. But I would replace the device if the problem consists, the Atrix is a great phone all in all.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quick update, just downloaded the "Touch Test" app, and I think it confirms my suspicions.

The app draws a circle on the screen that follows your touch, and it keeps registering a second touch in the top left corner of the screen while I'm drawing circles in the middle. If I do two fingers it traces them both, but as soon as I remove my second finger it keeps thinking that I'm touching it in the top left, even when there's nothing there.

Yes, and I'm also at 4.1.57. I do agree that it is a great phone, will probably go see if AT&T will exchange it for me. Guess I just got unlucky
    Last edited by karwosts; 04-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karwosts View Post
    Quick update, just downloaded the "Touch Test" app, and I think it confirms my suspicions.

The app draws a circle on the screen that follows your touch, and it keeps registering a second touch in the top left corner of the screen while I'm drawing circles in the middle. If I do two fingers it traces them both, but as soon as I remove my second finger it keeps thinking that I'm touching it in the top left, even when there's nothing there.

Yes, and I'm also at 4.1.57. I do agree that it is a great phone, will probably go see if AT&T will exchange it for me. Guess I just got unlucky
    Ya that's gotta be a phone fail. I'm sure in the first couple of days some sort of glitch messed up your touch screen. No doubt you'll get it replaced.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I actually had something similar with my phone. It would decide that I was randomly touching the screen items even though I was only holding the phone. It was always at the end near the speaker where it said i was touching.

What AT&T had me do was to do a factory reset to see if it solved the problem. Once that didn't work they replaced the phone (actually they told me to go back to amazon since that is who I got it from, but then amazon replaced it).

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to reset it before I go in to the store.

Its frustrating because its very intermittent, it will work perfectly for hours and then all of a sudden start having a problem again.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You may wish to bring attention to the problem here as I think this is a more widespread issue than they think:
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...48693?tstart=0

Can see my videos of this problem here:
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/m.../362784#362784

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    Ya that's gotta be a phone fail. I'm sure in the first couple of days some sort of glitch messed up your touch screen. No doubt you'll get it replaced.
    how long did they take? I think mine is acting up too. Just got it from amazon...smh. No sure why I rooted it.
    Launch Pro+ Juice Defender = Winning!!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My screen is acting up. I've had the phone since April 11. It acts up every day and I'm ready to chuck it. Battery pulls are a stop-gap fix. I've already done a factory reset and installed the update. Horizontal swiping becomes non-existent and vertical scrolling becomes blurry, jittery, and often takes off on it's own. Time for a replacement

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yep I just got mine replaced
    Launch Pro+ Juice Defender = Winning!!!

Ads