Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Looking for Boycotters - Question for the people

This is a discussion on Looking for Boycotters - Question for the people within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I admit that I'm pissed off. When I get pissed off, I get crazy ideas, so here's my latest. I'm interested to know if any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for Boycotters - Question for the people

Member #
    Liked
    31 times

Looking for Boycotters - Question for the people

I admit that I'm pissed off. When I get pissed off, I get crazy ideas, so here's my latest. I'm interested to know if any members of this forum would 1) support the idea or 2) want to help, or 3) think its a waste of time. Please post your opinions either way.

I want to start a boycott of motorola, by current motorola customers. I want it to be legitimate. I figure I have two more years on my Atrix contract and I can get a lot done in that time. If sometime during that period Motorola grants bootloader unlock, then it will be worth it.

So, heres basically a text-dump of a manifesto that I wrote this morning outlining my ideas.

Code:
    My thoughts on a possible boycott of Motorola devices - tentative 
    plans.

Step 1. Gather individuals who care about this issue - especially current 
    Motorola phone owners who have experienced first hand the difficulty 
    caused by the decision to use an encrypted bootloader on a GPL device.

Step 2.  Take action to make sure that the public is educated about what 
    Motorola is doing.

Tentative plans.
    Sort into Teams by Motorola Phone as each new phone is announced, 
    leaked.

1.  First, confirm whether bootloader is encrypted. Attempt to get official 
    confirmation from Motorola, or at best secondary sources from xda, if 
    possible.

2.  Next, send a letter of protest to Motorola regarding this practice 
    stating that the formal boycott is beginning regarding the device and 
    that it will end the moment an unlockable bootloader solution is 
    provided, or if Motorola decides to forgo bootloader encryption, at a
    minimum.

3.  Communicate with all media outlets who review the device that the 
    bootloader is locked and express concern on behalf of the Android 
    community that the people know this as a formal part of the review. 
     Suggest that a review of an Android device that does not include
     a review of the level of operating system lock-down is an incomplete 
    review.

4.  Begin a campaign of 'comment voting', not trolling, where one comment 
    per person is left on any relevant comments or user review locations, which 
    recommends NOT BUYING boycotting the device, informing that the phone is 
    encrypted and locked,  stating their protest of Motorola's policy, a link to 
    the boycottwebsite, a brief explanation of what a locked device means. No 
    profanity or personal attacks, although creativity is encouraged.  Analogies 
    are good.  The goal is to have bootloader lockdown information on EVERY 
    POSSIBLE SITE where the phone review appears.

5.  Send a follow up letter each month to Motorola explaining the boycott, 
    requesting an update on whether they will change their minds.

---  --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The goal is to make sure that NO person buying the phone, from any
    website, anywhere, is not aware that the bootloader is encrypted and that 
    Everyone make an informed choice if they do buy it that they are waiving 
    their rights under the GPL to be able to freely modify the device's software.

The group's manifesto.

1. no hacking.  We will not hack.  If hacks are done, they are not us.  It is 
    counterproductive and illegal.  This is the equivalent of a peaceful protest or 
    sit-in, not a riot.  

2. no profanity or personal attacks.  We are not trolls.  We are the 
    equivalent of a peaceful protest.  That said, we will speak the truth and use 
    strong and creative language to express ourselves.  We are emotional 
    humans and we represent the 1000's of volunteer developers who made 
    Android possible by developing the Linux kernel, which is now being locked 
    against them through a loophole in the GPL license v2 by manufacturers. 
    See  Tivoization.

3. no lies.  we will not spread false rumors.  That is illegal.  we will make 
    every effort to  make certain that the information we provide is true.  The
    truth is bad enough.

4. no compromise.  we will not stop until motorola's devices are no longer 
    encrypted - a  practice which violates the GPL under which the kernel was 
    made.  Until that time, we will try to prevent the damage done to consumers 
    by making sure that there is no question when they buy that they are 
    VOLUNTARILY waiving their rights under the Linux license. We will also 
    attempt if at all possible to help inform owners of their rights to return
    devices that violate the GPL.
    I can't do it all by myself. I'd lose interest and quit because I'm like that. But if we have a dedicated group of individuals who each give a little of their time, maybe we can make a difference. Don't flame me, please, although I can take it, but I'm genuinely concerned about creating conditions to make our phone the best it can be. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Ap0c; 06-07-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    I must say, you are well organized and have this thought out. I do understand your plight, but I don't think I will be able to join the movement, for a few reasons, not the least of which being a conflict of interest here in the forums.

I don't know how far this might get with Motorola somewhat announcing that unlockable bootloaders would be their new policy late this year, but then throwing the ball back in the carrier's court in this statement: Motorola to have a new bootloader policy come late 2011 | Android Central

Edit: I admit, I haven't researched much after this article, so I don't know what other, contradictory, statements might be out there.
    Last edited by das8nt; 06-07-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added thought

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    I knew about the locked bootloader before I bought the Atrix so it really doesn't seem right for me to protest it. Motorola so far has been good about providing updates. If Motorola comes through with providing the Android updates that fully utilizes the dual-core processor and 1GB memory then there really won't be anything for me to complain about.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.
    "There's no 'i' in Phone"

Atrix(Retired) - ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Asus Transformer Infinity

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    I'd support you in spirit, but not much more for the same reason das8nt noted. Besides, I'm not rooted, and not particularly interested in doing so. But in theory, for the good of ALL users, good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    das8nt & WERA -

I appreciate the comments, but I guess I don't understand the conflict of interest (unless these are official motorola forums in some way, which I didn't realize). My goal here is to participate in making the Atrix better in every way. I've read the 53+ support page on Motorola's supposed promise to unlock their bootloaders cover to cover and it doesn' t seem that anything is happening there. Peaceful protest can achieve a lot, especially if it is done respectfully but firmly.

If you think about it, the only reason that this phone is as good as it is is because it was built on community-created software (the linux kernel) which was licensed expressly to allow copying and modification, which is what we want the ability to do. There is an "arguable" loophole that allows a hardware manufacturer (like Tivo) to "wrap" the Linux kernel in an encrypted, locked down hardware shell and thus deny the user of the GPL software from modifying and using it the way the license tried to allow. This is why there is a GPLv3, which makes it MORE clear that this is not ok.

The phone is the battleground for this debate. Can a manufacturer benefit and sell Linux while denying users the ability to use Linux the way it was intended? This is what is happening with the bootloader encryption on our Atrixes. Certainly we can both support Motorola's hardware while protesting their decision to restrict it. Respectfully, I don't see the conflict.

That said, you have to do what is comfortable for you, but I'd love it if other members of our forum would respond as to whether they would support my idea. Maybe I'm just crazy...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    I personally don't care one way or the other. I do, however, disagree with your boycott based on the reasoning that it was known to be a locked boot loader before it ever hit the streets.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    I already lost interest.

sent from my schizophrenic atrix

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Carl and ROCr;

When I bought my Atrix, the bootloader was thought to be signed (like the EVO) but not encrypted. Admittedly I got mine literally the first day it was available.

Still, you seem like sophisticated users and so if you are ok waiving your rights to modify the kernel (as I'm describing it) then that's fine, but I am assuming that there are many users who buy this phone without knowing about its encryption. My idea is to make sure everyone knows and expressly waives their rights, so we can avoid having to break the bad news to our users. Motorola doesn't advertise this and many reviews don't explain it either, so when they get it thinking "android=cyanogen" or "android = overclocking" and find out they can't, there's a lot of anger. I'd rather that the ONLY people getting Motorola phones are those who 1) have been told about the restrictions and 2) know what that means and choose to buy it anyway.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. That said, I respect your decisions. Don't want to divide the community.

I have to admit, I'm surprised that 1) nobody cares about the locked bootloader, but 2) threads about hacking the locked bootloader are very very popular. Can't quite understand that one...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    There are always going to be those individuals that want exactly what you're describing -- the freedom to do whatever they want to the phone that they paid for. But there are many more that don't even have a clue what a boot-loader is, much less that it's encrypted or why they may want to access it. Obviously, reading the forums, one may surmise that there is a majority of users demanding an unlocked boot-loader and an unrooted phone. I'd be willing to bet that they are really the minority when you look at the entire spectrum of Atrix users. Most don't scour the internet, get involved in forums, or even want to do anything other than use their phone as a phone, send a text message here and there, take some pictures, and surf the net to twitter, tweat, and post on Facebook.

An unlocked boot-loader and access to every nook and cranny of the workings of the phone is a recipe for disaster for the majority. Yes, it frees you to do what you want to do, but it also allows the average idiot to destroy the phone and then call the manufacturer and complain about it not working right. I just read the thread regarding the malicious malware floating around on a 3rd party site. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fix someone's PC because they downloaded crap on their PC or because they "thought" they knew what they were doing when they edited their regedit file. While many are technically savvy and will have no issues following tried and true methods to improve their OS, many more will fail miserably.

Personally, I'd like to see Motorola allow access to the phone by providing the end user a code to unlock it (after the end-user signs a release freeing Motorola from all responsibilities for any damages that occur as a result of altering the system files).

While the saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" may have merit, remember that "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" applies sometimes too. Peace out!
    das8nt likes this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    That carl_h poster is a smart cat. Id love an unlocked bootloader.

2) threads about hacking the locked bootloader are very very popular. Can't quite understand that one...
    Its pretty simple, Its like a locked bank. The gold (unlocked bootloader) is inside. You break into the bank, and get gold. Thats motivation enough ;D.

That said, Im couldnt agree to a boycott. Motorola is an american company, competitors are HTC, Samsung, which are china and japanese/korean owned.
    We need to support american products (even if made in china ;D) Actually, I dont care about supporting american. I just want whatever is cheaper, lol.

- U
    Last edited by useful; 06-07-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: mistake fixed lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads