Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Unlocked Bootloader, What does it mean for us?

This is a discussion on Unlocked Bootloader, What does it mean for us? within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Hey guys, just a couple questions regarding the highly anticipated gingerbread release. I see that now they are claiming that motorola will be unlocking the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unlocked Bootloader, What does it mean for us?

Hey guys, just a couple questions regarding the highly anticipated gingerbread release. I see that now they are claiming that motorola will be unlocking the bootloaders on our Atrix phones. What will this do for the average user? Let us load custom ROM's on the phone? Well isn't that the same thing as just downloading and applying a skin? What's the difference between a custom ROM and just tweaking the OS with skins/fonts/widgets? Also, do you think root will already be enabled or will they still fight the root methods and patch the known root methods with future updates?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    A custom ROM is like installing Linux over your windows on your PC. Its not a skin but a custom built version of Android. It will also allow custom kernals so Dev's can overclock the CPU, extend battery life and fix all the bugs that takes motorola forever to fix. Its a very good thing and I cant wait to see true CM7 and MIUI.
    Motorola Atrix MB860
    Unlocked 4life!!!
    ROM*CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC0-Olympus-KANG
    Kernel*2.6.32.9-MB860-CM7-Faux-123-v0.1.4 OC @ 1.1ghz

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yes cm7 will be killer. Even more so when an ice cream sandwich rom gets released and we wont have to worry whether were gonna get ice cream or not.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRolla View Post
    A custom ROM is like installing Linux over your windows on your PC. Its not a skin but a custom built version of Android. It will also allow custom kernals so Dev's can overclock the CPU, extend battery life and fix all the bugs that takes motorola forever to fix. Its a very good thing and I cant wait to see true CM7 and MIUI.
    how much extra battery life do people usually see when loading these custom roms?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    how much extra battery life do people usually see when loading these custom roms?
    No way to tell, depends on the developer and the phone.

Remember this will VOID your warranty. It also means that for us. If you want to keep your warranty and still run custom roms on the stock kernal 2nd-init will do it for yea. This way we dont loose warranty.
    Motorola Atrix MB860
    Unlocked 4life!!!
    ROM*CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC0-Olympus-KANG
    Kernel*2.6.32.9-MB860-CM7-Faux-123-v0.1.4 OC @ 1.1ghz

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    How would an ATT store know if its not the custom kernel? I brought mine in cuz i had a bad headphone jack and the phone randomly rebooted all the time and they didn't look at anything on the OS level.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    2nd-init?

I don't understand. Some third party group will do it for you? And work around it voiding the warranty?

"Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pox View Post
    How would an ATT store know if its not the custom kernel? I brought mine in cuz i had a bad headphone jack and the phone randomly rebooted all the time and they didn't look at anything on the OS level.
    They don't look at it there. When it gets sent back to Moto. They look. And if they find you did something more than you should have, they'll charge you for a new phone, if you were already sent a new one.

"Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Just one more reason I only buy my phones at Best Buy and get their warranty. I don't have to stress that at all. ;-)

Sent from my NOOB rooted Atrix!

mct
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If I understand the process correctly, the phone will boot off the chip in the phone, then "side boot" into the custom rom you have loaded using another program. So, essentially, the stock OS loads and then another program runs (2nd initialization) that loads a new OS over the first. The "stock" programs still load, and are not changed or deleted, thus not violating warranty.

Ads