Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

4G SIM Card

This is a discussion on 4G SIM Card within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; When I got my phone, the guy asked for my old phone. I asked why - he said he needed the SIM. So, ok, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 4G SIM Card

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

4G SIM Card

When I got my phone, the guy asked for my old phone. I asked why - he said he needed the SIM. So, ok, I pulled it out for him and I'm pretty sure that I needed a new SIM specifically for 3G. So I asked him about it and he said yes, you have to have a 4G SIM card and they don't have any yet.

OK....

So I asked after a ridiculously long pause... am I going to get a 4G SIM card eventually? He says "Sure, I guess I could have someone call you when we get some."

Long story short - I'm only getting 3G speeds because of my SIM card and I can't get better without a 4G SIM card.

Does your SIM still say 3G?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Effington View Post
    When I got my phone, the guy asked for my old phone. I asked why - he said he needed the SIM. So, ok, I pulled it out for him and I'm pretty sure that I needed a new SIM specifically for 3G. So I asked him about it and he said yes, you have to have a 4G SIM card and they don't have any yet.

OK....

So I asked after a ridiculously long pause... am I going to get a 4G SIM card eventually? He says "Sure, I guess I could have someone call you when we get some."

Long story short - I'm only getting 3G speeds because of my SIM card and I can't get better without a 4G SIM card.

Does your SIM still say 3G?
    I switched from an iPhone 4 to the Atrix. My SIM is still the standard 3G one. I don't quite understand...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I work in a cor store and can tell you that any 3G sim will do the trick. Pretty much everyone is getting 3G speeds because the backhaul work isn't finished yet. A 4G sim won't make a bit of difference as they are there to be forward compatible with LTE devices in the future.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I don't either and I can't find a definitive answer on this. Will I get HSPA+ speed form my old, 3G SIM card? The AT&T rep implied that I will not - even if the phone says H+ (which it says for 3G anyway).

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    Yes, you will get HSPA+ speeds from that SIM. There is no such thing as a 4G SIM, nor does there exist a true 4G network...not even Verizon's. Everything at present is based on improved 3G technology, that works on the existing network. When the backhaul upgrades are complete, you will get the HSPA+ (or 3.5G) speeds, no problem.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Never heard of a 4G SIM, more than likely the guy just didn't want to activate a new SIM card, but may have charged you for it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i bought mine at Radio Shack, and kept the same SIM I had in my Nexus One.
    Startac 85 -> Nokia 1100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 6620 -> Siemens SL55 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Siemens SX66 -> Nokia N75 -> Samsung Blackjack -> MotoQ -> Nokia E71 -> Nexus One -> Atrix

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Well, I know that it's not really 4G, and that's sort of besides the point - the rep at the store told me flat out that I would not get HSPA+ speed with my old SIM.

But, if you're telling me that's a load of bullfarts I wouldn't be surprised because this is the same store that told me they couldn't give me my pre-ordered phone on the 21st because they would get fined for activating it before the launch date.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Effington View Post
    Well, I know that it's not really 4G, and that's sort of besides the point - the rep at the store told me flat out that I would not get HSPA+ speed with my old SIM.

But, if you're telling me that's a load of bullfarts I wouldn't be surprised because this is the same store that told me they couldn't give me my pre-ordered phone on the 21st because they would get fined for activating it before the launch date.
    Looks like you need a new location to shop at!
    Last edited by JaxDomino; 02-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    that guys an idiot. don't worry about it. you'll be fine.
    Ska_Jedi_916 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads